Page 519 of 1041 FirstFirst ... 499509514515516517518519520521522523524529539 ... LastLast
Results 5,181 to 5,190 of 10406

Thread: Transformers questions by newbies, and not-so-newbies

Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Oh yeah.

Loving the FOC multiplayer. Finally not dying as much.

Not impressed with the Hound model for the upcoming DLC though. The head is all wrong. There's already heads available that seem to be a better match.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    Oh yeah.

Loving the FOC multiplayer. Finally not dying as much.

Not impressed with the Hound model for the upcoming DLC though. The head is all wrong. There's already heads available that seem to be a better match.
    Yeah the Hound head doesn't work for me either. I can't get the hang of FOC multiplayer. Yesterday I was getting absolutely destroyed for 2 hours and today I was dominating, scoring the most kills almost every match and getting only a few deaths usually the least for my team. Leveling seems slow too but I haven't played a lot yet. Think my highest is 17.

Quote Originally Posted by theheretic View Post
    Yeah the Hound head doesn't work for me either. I can't get the hang of FOC multiplayer. Yesterday I was getting absolutely destroyed for 2 hours and today I was dominating, scoring the most kills almost every match and getting only a few deaths usually the least for my team. Leveling seems slow too but I haven't played a lot yet. Think my highest is 17.
    I have the same problems in multiplayer.

Last night I got beat by a young child. I could hear him talking (I don't play much multilplayer stuff anymore, can you still auto-mute mics?)

This kid absolutely made me his bitch.

It was embarassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    I have the same problems in multiplayer.

Last night I got beat by a young child. I could hear him talking (I don't play much multilplayer stuff anymore, can you still auto-mute mics?)

This kid absolutely made me his bitch.

It was embarassing.
    Haha it's so demoralizing when that happens. Played for about 6 hours today (sick day *wink*) and discovered I'm hopeless with the tank, average with the leader, good with the scout and great with the scientist. The sentry gun, photon displacer and gear shredder are great. Gear shredder is good for close to medium range, although you can use it with some success long range but it's best to switch photon rifle for sniping. It's great to just fly over your target, transform and drop a sentry above him/her and then gear shred the 5#!+ out of him, works almost every time. Charging it up and releasing it point blank works well too, LOL.

Can someone fill me in on the acronyms and toy lines and give me a quick rundown on the toy line (like one line of text)?
    I know what Generation 1 and G2 and G1 re-issues are.
    I think i've figured out some of these.

Movie - The movie
    ROTF - Revenge of the fallen
    DOTM - Dark of the moon
    Animated - The cartoon
    Beast Wars - The CGI cartoon
    Masterpiece - The really fancy versions of G1 characters.
    i assume the toys are all based on those shows.

What are Classics, Universe, Generations, Cybertron, Armada, Energon and others?
    Which is the line of G1 character toys but are more realistic? My mate has a Starscream that looks good in both jet form and robot form?
    Thanks for any help educating a newbie like myself.
    Cheers, Ken
    Spiderken Away!

Quote Originally Posted by spiderken17 View Post
    Can someone fill me in on the acronyms and toy lines and give me a quick rundown on the toy line (like one line of text)?
    Some acronyms and abbreviations...
    * AEC = Armada/Energon/Cybertron (aka The Unicron Trilogy)
    * Alt = Alternators (or Alternity, depending on context)
    * BM = Beast Machines
    * BW = Beast Wars
    * BWII = Beast Wars II (Second)
    * BWN = Beast Wars Neo
    * BT, BTA = Binaltech, Binaltech Asterisk
    * CHUGUR = Classics Henkei Universe (2.0) Generations United Reveal-the-Shield (aka Classicsverse)
    * CR = Car Robot
    * DW = Dreamwave
    * FIRRIB = Frenzy Is Red, Rumble Is Blue
    * FoC = Fall of Cybertron
    * GF = Galaxy Force
    * GPS = Gold Plastic Syndrome, BPS = Brown Plastic Syndrome
    * HA = Human Alliance
    * HFTD = Hunt For The Decepticon
    * HM / PM / GM = Headmaster, Powermaster, Godmaster
    * HMS = High Moon Studios
    * HoC = Heroes of Cybertron
    * IDW = Idea & Design Works
    * KP = Kiss Play
    * MP = Masterpiece
    * MTMTE = More Than Meets The Eye
    * OP = Optimus Prime
    * OpOp = Optimal Optimus
    * (O)TFCC = (Offical) Transformers Collectors Club
    * PCC = Power Core Combiners
    * RIRFIB = Rumble Is Red, Frenzy Is Blue
    * RiD = Robots In Disguise
    * RM = Robot Masters
    * SCF = Super Collection Figure
    * SG = Shattered Glass
    * SWTF = Star Wars Transformers
    * TF1 = 2007 Transformers film
    * TFA = Transformers Animated
    * TFTM = The Transformers: The Movie
    * Ti = Titanium (series)
    * TM = Transmetal, TM2 = Transmetal 2. TM can also be "Targetmaster" depending on context
    * UT = Unicron Trilogy
    * WFC = War For Cybertron
    * WST = World's Smallest Transformers, a fan name for Smallest Transforming Transformers
    ...that's all I can think of now (in English anyhow - I'm assuming you're not interested in Japanese abbreviations )...

Animated - The cartoon
    Masterpiece toys are based off the G1 cartoon models, yes.
    Beast Wars started as toys first, the show came after.
    Animated was a show and toy franchise that was developed in tandem with each other (much like Transformers Prime).

What are Classics, Universe, Generations, Cybertron, Armada, Energon and others?
    Classics, Universe and Generations are basically G1 characters but done with contemporary toy engineering/designs. Armada, Energon and Cybertron were lines that followed after Robots In Disguise and are known for being very gimmick driven with Mini-Cons and Cyber Planet Keys.

Which is the line of G1 character toys but are more realistic? My mate has a Starscream that looks good in both jet form and robot form?
    What do you mean by realistic?
    * Classicsverse (CHUGUR): looks like G1 characters, but are unique/original designs
    * Masterpiece: looks very close to the G1 cartoon models. The Decepticons have very realistic looking alt modes (you need a permit to own Megatron in NSW).
    * Binaltech/Alternity/Binaltech Asterisk/Alternity: extremely realistic scale replica licensed car modes (they even have fold down seats, cup holders, gear sticks, handle brakes, air con vents, engines, mufflers, detailed wing mirrors, rack and pin steering etc.) - the robot modes look like G1 characters, but are unique/original designs.

I know what Generation 1 and G2 and G1 re-issues are.
    I think i've figured out some of these.

Movie - The movie
    ROTF - Revenge of the fallen
    DOTM - Dark of the moon
    Animated - The cartoon

Thanks for any help educating a newbie like myself.
    Cheers, Ken

Classics, Universe, and Generations are basically the same thing (there was an earlier line called 'Universe', but it's pretty much forgotten). They mainly focus on new versions of old favourites, which are mainly G1 toys. There are other figures, but these are the ones that tend to excite collectors the most - updates of beloved favourites.

A realistic Starscream would have to be the Masterpiece line. They're designed to be the 'ultimate' versions of the characters, that still transform, to realistic modes. Generally, they aim for accuracy to the cartoon. Starscream has had two unique Masterpiece molds. The first Japanese one had a paintscheme that was faithful to real life F15's. The US version stuck to the cartoon scheme. Collectors much preferred the cartoon/toy accurate look.

The second Starscream mold is still fairly new, and has only had a cartoon/toy look Starscream, Japanese Amazon exclusive Sunstorm (if you don't know who that is, don't worry. Obscure character). It's had a Hasbro version Thundercracker, which should be out here within the next month or so, for about $80.

There's also two other lines that have realistic vehicle modes:- Alternators (or Binaltech, as the Japanese version is called), and the follow-up line: Alternity (Japan only). These have a high focus on realistic car modes, and detail close to the level of a model car, and as accurate to the real thing as possible.

Check out www.tfwiki.net

Search Starscream, select the G1 version, and look at his 'toys' section. Then you scroll through them all, see what you like, and what your friend has. The wiki also has some useful info on them all.

Armada, Energon, and Cybertron (also known as the 'Unicron Trilogy', or 'UT' for short) were all mainline series, along with 'Animated', and the current 'Prime' series. They had a cartoon series, and toys. They were the main lines, and sometimes had unrelated secondary lines at the same time at retail (as the brand strengthened again, and collector influence rose). Classics was originally a sub-line, but is now THE line for many collectors.

You're then missing just two other main lines which had cartoon support - Beast Machines (a sequel to Beast Wars, but a very different beast, no pun intended), and 'Robots In Disguise'. Abbreviations are BM and RID.

The current Transformers Prime line is also headed as 'Robots In Disguise', so you'll often see collectors use 'PRID' as the abbreviation for it, to differentiate it from the earlier line. There's also a comic series called 'Robots In Disguise' at the moment, to further muddy waters.

Does that help?

(I'm mainly referring to the western world stuff, to make it easier. Japan has had exclusive cartoons, but these have nowhere near the profile as the ones we got, over here.)

*You'll also see two companies mentioned:- Hasbro and TakaraTomy (abbreviated to TakTom). Hasbro makes them for the west, TakTom for Japan and other parts of Asia not covered by Hasbro branches.

There may be differences between the toys, there may not.

Thanks heaps for that guys. i will be referring back to this page frequently
    I guess Classics, Generations and Universe are the ones i like. The modern versions of classic toys are the really cool.
    I also like the use of real cars (Binaltech i think).
    I might save for a masterpiece or two one day.
    I'm not a big fan of Transformers that don't look like real vehicles.
    "Robots in disguise" doesn't work when the car looks like its from 100 years in the future
    Spiderken Away!

I also like the use of real cars (Binaltech i think).
    Binaltech, Binaltech Asterisk, Alternators, Kiss Players and Alternity are all highly detailed scale replica licensed vehicles. In a nutshell...
    * Binaltech = 1:24 scale die-cast metal
    * Binaltech Asterisk = 1:24 scale die-cast metal w/ human driver figurines
    * Alternators = 1:24 scale full plastic
    * KISS Players = 1:24 scale plastic w/ moe human partners
    * Alternity = 1:32 scale plastic

I'm not a big fan of Transformers that don't look like real vehicles.
    "Robots in disguise" doesn't work when the car looks like its from 100 years in the future
    Just wait for the future and you'll see. G1 Hot Rod, Kup and Blurr totally look like cars from 2005! Speaking of robots in disguise, Beast Wars also gave us more realistic looking animal modes (unlike say G1 which gave us robots that resemble animals, but they ain't foolin' nobody!), especially the earlier figures before they went all "Transmetals" and "Fuzors" etc. The Beast Wars II (Second) Maximals and Beast Wars Neo also gave us more realistic animal moded Transformers too.

Has anyone else seen the Wave 3 or 4 TFPrime Deluxes at a chain store yet?
    (Hotshot, Knockout, Vehicon, Dead End, Shadow Strike Bbee, Airachnid)

It's now been two months since we had a one-off sighting at a regional Toyworld, so if the sighting was correct, perhaps the store imported the toys in themselves... as no one else has reported seeing them anywhere else since then.

Before I can update the checklist or the sightings banner (which doesn't acknowledge independents or imports, as they are no use to members in the rest of the country), can this be verified by a second sighting at another location or store-chain?

It almost feels like Hasbro Australia has just stopped importing the line altogether and is just (barely) focusing on the other lines now... and if that is true, those of us wanting certain TFPrime toys, need some warning, so that it doesn't get too impossible and expensive tracking them down from other countries.