View Poll Results: Generations Jhiaxus - worth getting?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Well, it's probably the best Jhiaxus toy we've had so Yes

9 75.00%
  • Only if you modify it

1 8.33%
  • Only if...

1 8.33%
  • Na

1 8.33%
  • Hasbro - you just suck for making this lame toy!

0 0%

Thread: Toy Review - Generations Jhiaxus

Default Toy Review - Generations Jhiaxus

Series - Transformers Generations
    Sub-line – Thrilling 30
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco – Remould of Generations Armada Starscream
    Wave - 4
    Released here - No
    Approximate Retail Price - $25
    Approximate Size - 14 cm
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode – Cybertronian Jet
    Main Features/Gimmicks – Firing Missiles
    Main Colours – Orange, Gray
    Main Accessories – 2 guns, 2 missiles

Robot Mode
    Sigh… there is so much they could have done here right that they just didn’t. The head they got right, well done Hasbro for looking at the shape of his head – that’s the biggest compliment you will get in this entire review. They have changed the shape of the wings somewhat from G.A.Sscream, making them less streamlined and more batlike and you can have them sticking down vertical instead of horizontal to differentiate him from Screamer more. That’s about it for positives. The colour scheme is Primus-awful – looking like some kind of semi-neon-puke-orange. I suppose it is meant to be an homage to the RID 2003 toy – the only other Jhiaxus toy we’ve had. If they had separated the shoulder cannons so you could just have the right one pop up without the left, it would have helped him look like Jhiaxus that bit more. As it is he just looks like G.A.Sscream at Mardigra.

Jet Mode
    Pretty much G.A.Sscream but with the aforementioned changed wings and horrible colour scheme. Nothing remotely resembling Jhiaxus here. They have given him two guns which can be held in the hands or put on the underside of the wings which is kinda cool but kinda odd since he used swords in the comic.

Transformation
    Intuitive and not particularly taxing

Overall
    I'm so disappointed as the first TF comic I ever bought was Issue #4 of the G2 comic - I got interested in Jhiaxus right off the bat and I've always wanted a cool toy of him. They really could have done well with this character despite the poor choice of mold to reuse if (in my opinion) they had done the following few things:

*Made just the right shoulder missile launcher pop up
    *Given him his G2 Colour scheme (white body, yellow on the cockpit, hands, feet & missiles, green wings, red head and shoulder cannon)
    *G2 Decepticon Symbols

It still may have been a bit crap but would have been a million times better than what they have trotted out. If I had the modification skills I’d set to work on mine myself, as it is you can see a ton of examples online of what people have done to theirs, some very good work though none exactly as I’d do it.

Instead this toy reeks of a rushed job with very little care put in. Even the comic included is an example of this, it’s one where Jhiaxus has one line and it’s not even the issue where he is copying Starscreams armor. It’s like with this wave they just chose random Dark Cybertron issues to throw in with the toys. Maybe we can all live in the slim hope that Hasbro will make a Nautica Figure which they will then recolour and put out as G2 Jhiaxus, but with the character now dead (for now) in the comics good luck with that. With the exception of Rhinox and Rattrap I now have every Generations toy from 2014 and I can safely say he is the worst of the lot. Disappointing for such an interesting character.

I'll never understand what it is specifically that TF fans have against the colour orange. Most Bumblebee toys are a similarly bright shade of yellow and yet that's never the main complaint levelled at them. It seems to me that garish colourschemes are a part of the history of the brand. In this particular case that could even be viewed as a dual homage: on one hand, to the RID Jhiaxus toy; on the other, to the bright G2/late-G1 colourschemes, in which comic Jhiaxus first appeared. For my part, I'm glad they chose the vibrant orange colours they did for this toy, as to put him in the relatively sedate colours of either comic just wouldn't be Jhiaxus to me as a fan who initially had the RID figure.

Debate about the colours aside, Jhiaxus is otherwise a great toy. He's based on Generations Armada Starscream, which is based on the original Armada Starscream, so he would have to be. There is a lot of character in this toy: the head sculpt is right on the money. The alteration to the wings makes them appear more batlike, which recalls the Jhiaxus of the G2 comic, although they could do with a bit more detailing on the outward facing side in robot mode. One thing I do like about the wings, however, is the fact that they face downwards, whereas GA Starscream's face upward, further distinguishing Jhiaxus from the original mould. Finally character-wise, Jhiaxus shares his mould with Starscream, seeker-style; the original G2 Jhiaxus similar had a character model which was seemingly based on a heavily altered version of the seekers.

Jhiaxus retains all of the articulation and functionality of GA Starscream. This means he has good articulation, an intuitive transformation scheme, and is reasonably well-armed. His armaments consist of two guns which tab into his wings in vehicle mode, plus the dual-cannon arrangement on his back with pressure launched missiles, which can be used in either mode.

Transformation is broadly the same as Starscream's, though there are one or two differences. The major one, which gives the robot body a distinct appearance from Starscream, is the folding in and out of the nosecone. Whereas Starscream's nosecone points down to his crotch as it did in Armada, Jhiaxus' tucks away neatly, giving him a distinctive and slightly shorter appearance in robot mode.

What I immediately noticed about the vehicle mode which didn't strike me right away with Starscream, for whatever reason, is just how thin the mould ends up being as compared to most TF jets. This is not a figure with a robot essentially hanging off the underside of a plane. Instead, everything tucks away neatly. In fact, the biggest visible bulk is that of the cannon/missile launcher arrangement on top. Remove that and you have a pretty viable looking plane. I'm still not sure it'd fly anywhere but it still does a better job of hiding away the robot than many Transformers jets.

In vehicle mode, a bit more grey paint detail shows up, mainly on the wings. As I mentioned above, it's a shame the wings don't have more detail in robot mode, but half an hour with a Gundam pen will fix that up for me. On the other hand, in vehicle mode they have grey edges and a bit of grey detailing on the interior of the wing; this might be designed to indicate air intakes. He also sports a Decepticon symbol on each wing. The cockpit is painted a silver-blue colour and has sculpted detail that makes one think of a futuristic type vehicle rather than a modern plane; this is another detail that has been altered from Starscream. The solid black wings on the legs are also more visible in this mode, and of course more functional for a plane.

Overall, Jhiaxus is quite simply every bit as good a toy as Starscream is. If you already have the Starscream mould then you already know most of what you're getting with Jhiaxus toy-wise. However, what I do feel Jhiaxus has which Armada Starscream doesn't quite have is oodles of character. The vibrant, very bright orange that makes up most of his plastic calls back to the first Jhiaxus toy from RID as well as to the brighter colourschemes of G2. His status as a remould of Starscream also calls back to his earlier appearances. The tie-in comics that were meant to sell the idea of Jhiaxus in this form might have done it in possibly the most cack-handed way they could (reactive armour what? Swords instead of guns because Starscream has them huh?), but that's hardly the toy's fault. Instead what we have here is a well put-together figure of one of the Transformers saga's greatest villains across all continuities, a character with an intriguing backstory, a mysterious agenda, and the means to carry that agenda out. Generations Jhiaxus carries that all off and does it well. Please don't hate him for being orange.

I'm not going to vote in the poll, because my answer is "yes, because it's a good or even great toy", which unfortunately isn't one of the options given.

I think this Jhiaxus is awesome, and a G2 one would be a welcome addition as well.

I remember hating the character back in the day, specifically for what he does to a certain character in G2 issue 7, but now as an adult collector, I'm loving finally owning a figure of his.

Quote Originally Posted by Zommael View Post
    I'll never understand what it is specifically that TF fans have against the colour orange. For my part, I'm glad they chose the vibrant orange colours they did for this toy, as to put him in the relatively sedate colours of either comic just wouldn't be Jhiaxus to me as a fan who initially had the RID figure.

what we have here is a well put-together figure of one of the Transformers saga's greatest villains across all continuities, a character with an intriguing backstory, a mysterious agenda, and the means to carry that agenda out. Generations Jhiaxus carries that all off and does it well. Please don't hate him for being orange.

I'm not going to vote in the poll, because my answer is "yes, because it's a good or even great toy", which unfortunately isn't one of the options given.
    Well despite our opposing views on the figure I certainly wont begrudge you your opinion. Transformers are supposed to be enjoyed and if you really like this figure that's a good thing and I'm glad you are getting so much enjoyment out of it - I just wish that I liked it as much as you do .

Personally I don't have a problem with the colour orange on Transformers - I love G1 Scoop as well as RID Wedge, G1 Sunstorm and both G1 & Generations Sandstorm - I also hope to get GDO Wheelie at some point. It's just with this colour scheme that - to me at any rate - it looks like one of those sickly cocktails you buy at resorts with a sexually suggestive name.

I'm a big fan of Jhiaxus too, which is part of the reason I have been rather critical with this figure, because for years I've held high hopes of him getting a toy that does him justice and this is not the figure I've been hoping for. The vast majority of the reviews I write are very positive and I wish I had liked this figure enough to continue that trend here. As stated, if others do really like it thats good.

Out of interest, would you like it if they made a Jhiaxus figure based on what he looked like in the G2 comics - both in colour scheme and shape? Or perhaps the RegenOne or IDW comics? Personally that is what I would love to see.

Sorry you did not like my poll options, though I did not think that the first one about it being the probably the best Jhiaxus figure we've had so Yes was in any way negative (though I'll admit it wasn't the usual enthusiastic 'HELLS YES' option I usually give ), but it's your call and if you don't wish to vote that's fair enough.

Bought this guy recently and no I'm not a big fan of fluorescent color schemes but I've always wanted Armada Starscream and for myself this is the next best thing and I'm impressed. The high point being the missile pressure launchers; they're the best I've encountered. The missiles fly across the room and match it with the best of the spring launchers. Quite impressive, considering that pressure launches are better for decoration than playability.