Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2121718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic review: More Than Meets The Eye season 2: #28 onwards

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    On the Comics Alliance website, MTMTE has been recognised in their 2015 awards with James Robert, best writer and Best continued excellence

It's always great to see general comic book sites recognise MTMTE (and it happens often). My go-to comic reviewers at House of Astonish have frequently pointed out that if the book wasn't called "Transformers" it would be winning major awards but people are biased about a toy tie-in.
    Now that said I was disappointed by this issue. I should have expected it, but don't give Cyclonus a great meaningful death scene and have it shaked it off in the next issue! Undoes the great work of last issue. This isn't the first time either and I should have learned but it's the book's biggest flaw.

Could not agree more with the whole ending of last issue/move into this issue. However, the little guy jumpstarting Thunderclash was awesome.

That being said, a couple of issues dedicated to Skids and Rung??? Sign me up!

I thought from the previews that maybe the blanking of details was a way to entice us, but no, they are still there in the book, very cheeky, but I kind of like it as a one off gag/plot driver.

Not sure how I feel about the bad guy, it seems very forced and silly, even for this book.

Onto the Christmas special. It was awesome. More please.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

The current issue has got to be one of the most epic Transformers comics that I've read in a while! (and no spelling/grammatical errors, YAY!)

I'm especially in awe of this line from Megatron. I've translated it to Japanese, but I've included a transcript of the original English dialogue below, spoiler tagged. I will be making comments about this line below. Continue reading this post at your own risk.

新発売中!AVAILABLE NOW!
    <spoiler>"I've renounced violence. From this point on, regardless of the provocation - regardless of the consequences - I will never hurt another living creature."</spoiler>

This is obviously hearkens back to who Megatron was at the very beginning, as shown in Megatron: Origins. It was that mini-series that, for the first time, fleshed out Megatron as being a character and not just some demented villain for the audience to blindly hate. Suddenly we were given a Megatron that we could empathise with. And since the end of the war, we've seen Megatron move away from the monster that he'd become. He knew that he'd lost sight of his original purpose, and that the Decepticons no longer stood for the ideals that they were originally founded on. We now see Soundwave attempting to continue the Decepticon cause along what he believes to be its original ideology in the Sol System, whereas Megatron has now come full circle and reverted back to his original pacifistic beliefs, as enshrined in his own manifesto, Towards Peace.

And I really hope that Megatron is sincere about all this and that it's not a ruse, because I'm really enjoying Megatron's current story arc. If people want a more traditional scheming Decepticon villain/leader, then we have Galvatron for that. Also Starscream (although he schemes in a very different way from Galvatron). And while Optimus Prime and his followers still regard him as a hero, there are many others who view him as a menace. Even Cosmos appears to be conflicted, but has opted to assist Prime's Autobots out of old loyalties. The fact that Megatron has changed has really fleshed him out as a character.

I just finished reading issue 49 last night. I agree with Goki I am also enjoying this version of Megatron as well. I also really hope that it is not a ruse.

I have many reactions to issue 50. Mostly though, just so happy the comic has gone on this long and continues to sell okay and isn't facing cancellation.

Maybe I'll get my letter in #100...

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    I have many reactions to issue 50. Mostly though, just so happy the comic has gone on this long and continues to sell okay and isn't facing cancellation.

Maybe I'll get my letter in #100...
    The next milestone issue is 75, that's according to James Roberts in a recent interview with io9

I really genuinely hope Rodimus gets knocked off. MTMTE is a mixed bag for me, but generally enjoyable, but I was totally onside with Getaway in #50. What's the biggest shame is that Rodimus said something about making an effort (that I took as maybe like growing up/stop being such a child) way back in the Remain in Light storyline, and somehow he's just gotten worse. It's not like he even tried to grow up, he's just an irredeemable narcissist. Not to say that an irredeemable narcissist is a bad character to have- there's plenty examples of protagonists fitting that description and being thoroughly captivating/entertaining- it's just how he's written post-DC is really irritating.

Otherwise I liked the first part of this issue! Here's to another shakeup of the IDW status quo!

Somebody else mentioned that it's as if Megatron's appointment gave Rodimus reason to revert back to his old self. Both in a sense of if Megatron's can be forgiven then I can too, and well Megatron's the disciplined captain - I'll be the fun captain (with out without capitilisation - I think Rodimus would like the idea of being Fun Captain).

But also it speaks to an inability to reform - I think he was genuinely remorseful for his actions (in so far as it reflected on him) - but he is unable to reflect on how his actions affect others and therefore truly effect change in himself.

As for my thoughts on this issue, without being spoilery - I loved the three arcs it seemed to have. The first being a loving look at the good times on the ship, with Megatron appearing to have settled comfortably into his new directorial / mentoring role. You know the confrontation that will come about at the end of the book but the reason why was surprising, and yet completely understandable, while still shocking and disheartening given the perspective on the Lost Light we've had for this "season".

PS My fan letter was published lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ploughmans Lunch View Post
    I really genuinely hope Rodimus gets knocked off. MTMTE is a mixed bag for me, but generally enjoyable, but I was totally onside with Getaway in #50. What's the biggest shame is that Rodimus said something about making an effort (that I took as maybe like growing up/stop being such a child) way back in the Remain in Light storyline, and somehow he's just gotten worse. It's not like he even tried to grow up, he's just an irredeemable narcissist. !
    While I wouldn't go as far as to have a death wish for Rodimus I agree with your sentiments about Getaway, his confinement in the previous issue seemed cruel and unusual given his crime was trying get Megatron killed which Brainstorm, Rewind and Whirl have all had a go at and remain in team Rodimus.

A bit of a moral quandary, and much like in the current Wreckers series, I'm not sure who I want to see prevail.