View Poll Results: Combiner Wars Onslaught - worth getting?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • He blows me away - oh hells yes!

8 66.67%
  • Only if cheap

2 16.67%
  • Only if...

1 8.33%
  • Na

1 8.33%
  • Slaughter this Onslaught!

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - CW Onslaught

Default Toy Review - CW Onslaught

Onslaught
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Combiner Wars
    Size/class - Voyager
    New/remould/redeco – Remould of Hot Spot
    Wave – 5
    Released here - not yet
    Approximate Retail Price - $45
    Approximate Size - 18cm
    Allegiance - Combaticon
    Alt-mode – Anti-Aircraft Truck
    Main Features/Gimmicks – Combiner Torso, can combine with CW Shockwave
    Main Colours – Blue, Green, Black
    Main Accessories – Rifles x 2

Robot Mode
    We’ve had a few Onslaughts over the last decade and this one definetly looks the most like the original G1 version. Good poseability and articulation. The head sculpt is spot on and I like the fact the guns can go in the hands or on his back to recreate his classic look. A shame he didn’t get a 3rd rifle as well. I like the detail in the chest, though I’m not a fan of the purple on his legs.

Vehicle Mode
    Looks pretty cool, though I’ve never seen this dual-cab thing in real life that a lot of TF’s are popping up with nowdays. The guns in the middle work well for the look but it would be better if they could be maneuvered more. The colours are ok though I did like the camo black spots on the original Onslaughts truck mode. Pretty cool overall, though wont win any beauty pagents. You can plug Shockwave in at the top for some extra firepower which adds extra play value to both toys alt-modes (you can plug Shockwave into Onslaughts back in robot mode but it aint a good look).

Transformation
    Like all Combiner Wars toys it’s not too difficult and if you have Hot Spot you can do this with your eyes shut.

Overall
    If you are just after an Onslaught figure then I highly recommend the 2008 Universe one – it’s fricken wicked looking! If you are after a G1’esque Onslaught that you can use to make Bruticus then this is the fella for you. Not stellar but certainly decent enough and does the job. Reccomended

Looks pretty good although vehicle mode could do with some paint. As you said the camo paint would do him a world of good.

I don't have hotspot. What's the posing like on him?

No camo? Sounds like a job for "Reprolabels"!!!
    WANTED BOTS: G1: Horri-bull, Snarler, Mainframe, Chop Shop, Ransack CHUG: Spin Out, Cordon, Brotropolis Rescue MASTERPIECE: Acid Storm
    ENERGON: Six Shot

My Onslaught has very loose legs in bot mode... fortunately I will display him as Bruticus so the looseness shouldn't be a problem

Are you talking about the knees? There's a particular way the knees plug in sort of like a Z. Peaugh has a video of it on his YouTube channel

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    I don't have hotspot. What's the posing like on him?
    Well he can't do handstands and breakdancing but can certainly do the usual arm, leg and head movements

I think that they've done a pretty good job in retooling Hot Spot as Onslaught. The toy is distinctly Onslaught in both robot and vehicle modes. There's very little that I can fault on this toy. The only minor issues I can see are:
    * The "emergency stripes" on the sides of the legs. They've tried to downplay it by replacing the red with purple, but it still seems needlessly stripey. I honestly would've preferred if they'd just made the whole thing silver to mute out the sculpted stripes. They did something similar to this with Scattershot to mute out some of the "Silverboltness" of the mould, and I think it works reasonably well on that toy.
    * Similarly with the siren/strobe lights. I would've preferred for them to just leave it uncoloured, that way rendering it the same blue as the standard plastic. I can understand the desire of having purple there to break up the blandness of the blue, but that could also be done by painting in the indented rectangles on the shins (which would also emulate the shin stickers on the G1 toy). These are really very minor issues. On the whole, I think that they've done a bang up job with this toy, and I'm extremely happy with it.

In terms of posability, I find that both my Hot Spot and Onslaught tend to be back heavy (possibly because they're carrying the gestalt robot chest and head on their backs), however, there are heel spurs that you flip out from behind. These work reasonably well in preventing the figures from falling backwards.

---Pics---

First - what I like here.

I really like how they managed to take Hot Spot and (literally) turn him around into quite a different looking vehicle. Not entirely sure what this vehicle is supposed to be, but ok.

Without Hot Spot's ladder to help him stand, the heel struts are definitely appreciated, but unfortunately his floppy knees and back pack mean he's still going to fall, unless I don't extend the legs all the way, making him a little stumpier compared to Hot Spot (not necessarily a bad way to differentiate the two) and I don't like how he's permanently looking down (akin to Universe/Generations Ironhide and Ratchet.)

Torso mode is definitely sweet too, new chest piece and rotation of his arms give Bruticus' torso a noticeable different silhouette to Defensor, and I think that really works. Longer cannons on his back here would have been nice though...

Toy vs. Cartoon accuracy - this version's definitely Toy accurate with the grey chest piece for Bruticus, and I'm tempted to pick up the announced "running change" variant with the Cartoon accurate brown chest piece, as photos of that look pretty sweet, and hopefully his knees are a little tighter.

Ok retraction: like Hotspot, I wasn't actually transforming his legs properly, just leaving that double joint at his knees "floating" - wasn't much of an issue with Hotspot as his pins were a little tighter and supported his weight, unlike Onslaught.

Rotating the double jointed part and clicking it in securely behind the purple emergency lights secures his legs and he can now stand up wih no issue. Strangely, this holds a lot better than when trying it with Hotspot.

I'd say that it's because Onslaught is less back heavy without the ladder.