Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What rules do other people use when they catalouge their collections?

Quote Originally Posted by theheretic View Post
    I just held a survey and everyone voted on a new way to count transformers collections where everything I previously said is now used... It is called the ICM, Infinity Counting Method.

Please note that I only surveyed myself, but I was in total agreeance with myself :-)
    At least everyone agrees on something.

Quote Originally Posted by theheretic View Post
    It all seems really technical :-S Plushies count but mighty muggs don't?
    I keep it simple and don't count either If I went by the UCM method, my collection count would be a great deal higher however it's not about how many I have that's important to me but do I enjoy what I own.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    it's not about how many I have that's important to me but do I enjoy what I own.
    thats exactly right.. and in all instances i like not knowing how many i have!!
    (man i still got to find my storage box from 1988/89)
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

I agree... it's the collection as a whole that has any significance or value. Keeping track of numbers is only for the benefit of non-collectors who ask, and for seeing how each year of purchases compares to previous years (for me).

I just like knowing how many I have. I first started counting/cataloging my Transformers collection in 1985 (I made a spreadsheet on our Commodore 64!). Of course a common counting method isn't necessary for this.

Having a common counting method has helped me:
    1/ Compare my collection count with others who have chosen to use the UCM
    2/ Determine the average size of a Transformers collection - I've wanted to know this since 1996!

How people want to count their collections (if at all) is up to them. You only need to use an agreed upon method if you want to compare your counts or participated in the survey project... beyond that it doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I keep it simple and don't count either If I went by the UCM method, my collection count would be a great deal higher however it's not about how many I have that's important to me but do I enjoy what I own.
    That's very true. It's all about enjoyment for me too. Especially considering my count would be pretty low :-)