Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Lego questions by newbies, and not-so-newbies

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    What's the autofindee? i just search for parts across stores.
    If you create a parts wants list, Bricklink has an search algorithm that recommends a mix of stores that will best get you want. However this won't take into consideration postage and handling or minimum order quantities as those are not a measurable parameters in the Bricklink database. This is why I presumed you were not satisfied with your bricklink experience.

The_Black_Sheep's point is a good one and may help you get started. Though at the end of the day if your have a fixed design it doesn't change the fact that the bricks you need are the bricks you need though it might make you consider substitution of some of the less readily available parts in your design.

By limiting the search parameters to Australian stores only, I was able to put together the order. It was still a bit of work but that's understandable as this is a 'from scratch' somewhat large build.

There was a couple of odd things that I could only find in International stores so I also added a UK order. However most were from AU. I found Bricklink a bit overwhelming at first, specially with so many international stores that limit what you can order (one only limited you to multiples of 40 per part type) but now it's all done and I am a little wiser with using Bricklink.

Thanks for your help guys. I am awaiting invoices from the stores so hopefully everything will be alright and I can get on with the build

Any tips on cleaning old lego? Anyone used the same whitening technique used on G1 Scourges for off coloured bricks?

Quote Originally Posted by Skullcruncher View Post
    Any tips on cleaning old lego? Anyone used the same whitening technique used on G1 Scourges for off coloured bricks?
    My guess is that it would work but keep in mind that the plastic eventually yellows back. You don't cure it just reverse it.

I haven't tried this yet, but this technique looks simple and effective enough.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGagdufGvGM

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!

Quote Originally Posted by SuspectimusPrime View Post
    I haven't tried this yet, but this technique looks simple and effective enough.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGagdufGvGM
    Excellent thanks - now to find the time... and to have the motivation at that time

Excellent thanks - now to find the time... and to have the motivation at that time
    Double dissolution!!
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

Are there any good guides out there for designing/Bricklinking your first custom?

I am considering building a custom TIE Fighter heavily based off the TFA mode - I'm thinking base frame + wing joint to keep things simple for myself, with colours heavily swapped out for shades of red. Looking for tips around:
    * Going from ideation to LDD
    * LDD to Bricklinking
    * How to choose from Bricklink sellers etc. Maybe general weights/cost tables or calculator for different countries & perhaps delivery times (to save time researching into each country's national post website).
    * Maybe a rule of the thumb number of spares as a % so the design is not royally screwed by a few missing critical pieces (I don't have disassembled sets to salvage from, so this project is do or die).
    * Anything else a noob should be aware of?

Thanks in advance guys.

Quote Originally Posted by SuspectimusPrime View Post
    Are there any good guides out there for designing/Bricklinking your first custom?

I am considering building a custom TIE Fighter heavily based off the TFA mode - I'm thinking base frame + wing joint to keep things simple for myself, with colours heavily swapped out for shades of red. Looking for tips around:
    * Going from ideation to LDD
    * LDD to Bricklinking
    * How to choose from Bricklink sellers etc. Maybe general weights/cost tables or calculator for different countries & perhaps delivery times (to save time researching into each country's national post website).
    * Maybe a rule of the thumb number of spares as a % so the design is not royally screwed by a few missing critical pieces (I don't have disassembled sets to salvage from, so this project is do or die).
    * Anything else a noob should be aware of?

Thanks in advance guys.
    I am putting the final touches on my own custom. It has taken me ages to do as it ended up much more complex that I first thought. I had to take it as a learning step bit by bit as I never found suitable guides. It was basically an evolution. As I went on building it, I kept revising the build based on functionality and vision of what I wanted to accomplish. There were a lot of compromises along the way too. Also structural integrity was a big concern, specially around moving or pressure parts.

Unless there is already something pre-existing that matches your custom build closely, you just need to get a basic design plan, order a few bricks and then begin with the foundation. As you build it, you will know what other parts you will require.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    I am putting the final touches on my own custom. It has taken me ages to do as it ended up much more complex that I first thought. I had to take it as a learning step bit by bit as I never found suitable guides. It was basically an evolution. As I went on building it, I kept revising the build based on functionality and vision of what I wanted to accomplish. There were a lot of compromises along the way too. Also structural integrity was a big concern, specially around moving or pressure parts.

Unless there is already something pre-existing that matches your custom build closely, you just need to get a basic design plan, order a few bricks and then begin with the foundation. As you build it, you will know what other parts you will require.
    Thanks for your feedback, kup. Glad to hear that project you mentioned earlier is drawing to a close!

Time is against me on this project, as I want it for a specific purpose. Though if I don't make it I do have a plan B and C. The general idea was to swap out colours from 75101, however it has evolved to changing the wings and potentially adding a payload section. I figured if my other adjustments are symmetrical then it should retain structural integrity (much higher than pre-2013 sets).

I downloaded LDD last night and had a play with it. Seems easy enough however there's no way to test for structural integrity. I'm trying to limit multi-angled joints so in theory (going to eat these words) I should be able to save myself multiple orders and seriously save on time/reordering.

Just want to achieve the minimum viable product here. Not adding moving parts, additional play features, or too many others parts that offsets the centre of gravity. Got ideas on extra features, but I might only consider those after the first build is done. Plenty of silly add-ons and mods ideas out there to play with later on: http://i.imgur.com/qG4lpz3.jpg