Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kiss Axe Bass

Default Kiss Axe Bass

I showed my 6 year old son Scooby Doo and Kiss: A Rock and Roll Adventure a few weeks ago. He now is in to Kiss and especially Demon. (They call them by the character because they intend to keep going when Paul and Gene retire).

I decided to make him a replica of Gene's Axe bass. It won't be playable.

I am using a single piece of pine with 9mm MDF stuck to it for the body and features. I am making bits up as I go.

This is what the original looks like. Mine will be the pathetic effort at the end.

First I cut out the body, neck and stock. I actually measured wrong on the body but I actually made it too big for once so was able to trim it down a bit.

The strings are poly twine/string. They will be soaked in glue and glued to the fret board which means the whole path underneath them needs to be flat.

I also need to have a strong mounting point to use to straighten them out.

I have taken the bridge cover and cut a channel and drilled a hole. I have tied a knot in the end of each string. The knot will sit in the hole and run up the channel. I will then glue the bridge cover to the guitar.

The pickups will not be raised like a real guitar. I will paint them matte black where as the guitar will be gloss black. The pine will sit under the hole and I will put the pickups back in the hole so it looks like it is raised.

The pickups will be screwed to the pine with a silver screw with the head of the screw looking like the magnet. Black painted screws will go at each end in the hole that was drilled to aid in cutting it out.

I have used sealer to seal the MDF and then painted over that with black acrylic paint.

I then started glueing it together. I will be using screws as fret markers and for the pickups too.

I also painted the bridge using chrome spray paint. (definately not chrome level shine)

It is now together. I still have to add the nut at the top of the fret board hence the gap.

Here is the back. Extra pine for strength and to minimise snapping of the axe blade if banged on something.

I have started making the tuning pegs. Painting them with chrome. Will drill holes in line with each drilled hole and glue them in.

Pegs with undercoat.

I have started painting the silver on the blade on the back.

The extra panel on the back is to help hold the volume and tone knobs in. I have drilled holes and filed angles on them. I then pushed thimbles into the holes to be the knobs.

Good work

I have played one of those years ago in front of school because I forgot my bass and ended up borrowing that off a dude in the year above me.

I felt like a fool
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

That's awesome Thurmus.... You're a great Dad for doing this, I'm sure he's gonna love it!

I saw Kiss about 15 years ago, still one of my favourite concerts I've ever seen.

I look forward to seeing this finished.

Nice idea and nice work.
    I won't lie though, I misread the title as "Kick Axe" bass, as in this...

That would of been cool too due the Transformers link.