Thread: Toy review - Earthrise Deluxe Hoist

Default Toy review - Earthrise Deluxe Hoist

Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Earthrise
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco - new
    Released here - March 2020
    Approximate Retail Price - $30

In a line a lot of people claim to be "full of unnecessary redo's", a lesser known character is always a welcome in my book.

TOW TRUCK MODE:

Not much to say here except it's as a nice little truck that's pretty much spot on to the G1 toy. If my memory serves they're about the same size too.

My only minor gripe with this figure: The robot forearms and hands just kinda chill out under there, and due to clearance issue you can't even rotate the fists around to make them less obvious.

If you decide to drop the wheel lift thingy there's an indentation that locks it in place along its track, and there's a wheel underneath that supports it. Very nice little touch.

He's smallish Deluxe size in truck mode, but turns into a much bigger 'bot.

TRANSFORMATION:
    His transformation is simple and heavily based on the original G1 design, like his best bud Grapple. But I find Hoist's engineering feels fresher; probably because he hasn't had a Masterpiece figure yet.

'BOT MODE:
    Hoist just oozes G1 goodness in 'bot mode. His proportions including the mechanic's "belly" and short legs are faithfully recreated here. Head sculpt is fantastic. Zero complaint.

Due to transformation he has double jointed knee, and a very deep elbow bend. He's a pretty poseable chubby dude.

He can get all Mafia "mechanic" with 5mm ports all over.

He's just half a head shorter than a Voyager figure (yes, let's be real here, Astrotrain is a Voyager). He feels kinda light for a deluxe though, possibly due to quite a bit of hollowness in the parts, partly transformation, partly just Hasbro being cheap. I also think that HasTak may have applied the same flexible budgeting system on these Earthrise figures as Studio Series, to allow for more variety within the same price point.

OVERALL:
    Personally I think he's a lot better than the Thrilling 30 Hoist. And the top pick for me among an already very good Deluxe wave.

Great photos. You put Hasbro's photographers to shame.
    I have a big soft spot for the porky mechanic, along with his mouldmate Trailbreaker.

I bought both Hoist and Grapple as an impulse buy yesterday. Hoist is awesome and so is Grapple. Very impressed by this line so far.

I never was interested in Hoist as a character or toy until Earthrise. He does look quite fun and looking forward to getting mine soon.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

I think he's pretty rubbish, but I suspect everything I hate about him (mainly the wings/cape/baggy sleeves that his arms hang off) is in service of making him more G1-accurate, so there's not much point complaining!

He does look good in these photos, but in hand my main thought was "Trailbreaker deserves better than this".

Quote Originally Posted by Maruten View Post
    I think he's pretty rubbish, but I suspect everything I hate about him (mainly the wings/cape/baggy sleeves that his arms hang off) is in service of making him more G1-accurate, so there's not much point complaining!
    You should complain. Just... because.

On the real, bravo for your self-awareness.

Anyway...

I opened my Hoist tonight - I do like him though not quite as much as some do. Those arms under the truck hold him back. Another set of joints could have fixed that, but given his size I guess that didn't fit the budget.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

I was expecting Hoist mismatched green parts to annoy me and otherwise ruin a great upgrade over T30 Hoist. However, in-person he looks fine, not perfect, but fine. Photographs really seem to make the mismatch look worse than it really is.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    I was expecting Hoist mismatched green parts to annoy me and otherwise ruin a great upgrade over T30 Hoist. However, in-person he looks fine, not perfect, but fine. Photographs really seem to make the mismatch look worse than it really is.
    I agree. In the night-time lights last night, I couldn't even tell. It's only shown up in the daylight today, and even then it's not so bad.

Also, the camera adds 10 pounds to this guy

Wasn't going to pick this one up but glad I did-he's weird but has great personality in bot mode, and such size!
    Truck mode is fine (although the fists and hollow front are a bit cheap and nasty), but I have 0 use for the gimmick so looks like a strange orange lump of plastic on his flatbed to me :P
    Haven't even noticed the mismatched green, it's definitely 1000 times more noticeable in photos vs the real toy.

Eep, those visible hands in vehicle mode look a tad sad.

btw there are two options for "No" in the poll and no option for "Not interested."

P.S.: May I please see comparison pics with G1 and Generations Hoist? Thanks in advance.