Page 46 of 55 FirstFirst ... 26364142434445464748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic book thread ON!

I am a fan of the spidey run that Joe Michael Straczynski (JMS) did.

Spider-Island was pretty cool and it has gotten alot better since Dan Slott took over even got to meet him and sign one of my comics

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    I saw that book the other day and thought it looked pretty good. I was trying to think of what Spider-Man's stories to recommend. I liked the recent "Spider-Island" story (so much so I'm using a pic from it as my facebook photo at the moment), and apparently Amazing Spider-Man's been quite good since Dan Slott took over as sole author.

I do recommend the original Ultimate Spider-Man series. I didn't like the ending (tied into a big dumb Ultimate Universe crossover) but it was a book I always looked forward to getting the next trade of.
    Quote Originally Posted by loophole View Post
    I am a fan of the spidey run that Joe Michael Straczynski (JMS) did.

Spider-Island was pretty cool and it has gotten alot better since Dan Slott took over even got to meet him and sign one of my comics
    Many thanks guys for your suggestions, as you're both people who know their stuff rather well to my understanding.
    So the trades I should be looking to add to my short-list are:
    • Maximum Carnage
    • Spider-Island
    • (Original) Ultimate Spider-man

@Loophole: What would you recommend specifically from Joe Michael Straczynski (JMS) dude?

Spiderman - The Other was marvelous! They retconned it, but it was the most brutal, horrifying deeply moving Spiderman comic I've ever read.

Or you could just check out Clone Saga

That was sarcasm.... People have therapy to forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by gantz View Post
    Spiderman - The Other was marvelous! They retconned it, but it was the most brutal, horrifying deeply moving Spiderman comic I've ever read.

Or you could just check out Clone Saga

That was sarcasm.... People have therapy to forget that.
    "The Other", righto I'll add that to the list , is it the "Clone Saga" where Ben Reily is introduced?
    (I actually really dig Ben's redesign of the Spidey suit - subtle but noticeable )

oh yeah "the other" that was pretty good good especially the lead up to it with Morlun there is this one panel that will always stand out in my mind and is slightly cringe worthy at the same time great stuff!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    @Loophole: What would you recommend specifically from Joe Michael Straczynski (JMS) dude?
    all of his amazing spiderman work!! more so the later stuff where Ezekiel was introduced and the Civil War period. I have always been a fan of Babylon 5 which is a great show, i also hear that his run on Thor was quite good and hopefully i'll get around to reading it one day

Don't overlook the new ultimate spidey, it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutsman Heavy View Post
    Don't overlook the new ultimate spidey, it's awesome.
    i just finished reading the death of spiderman trade. I dont know if I could accept the new spidey hes just not peter parker

I don't get the "invisibility power" of the new Ultimate Spider-Man.

Hursticon, as much as I love Ultimate Spider-Man it's not "the real" Spider-Man, but that does make it a much more self-contained story than the 50 years of the real Spider-Man.

I was looking at trades at the comic store. The Marvel Knights Spider-Man by Mark Millar is not bad, a self-contained story (but I didn't much care for the art).

Loophole do you include "Sins Past" in the good of J. Michael Straczynski's run? That was pretty controversial.

Quote Originally Posted by loophole View Post
    i just finished reading the death of spiderman trade. I dont know if I could accept the new spidey hes just not peter parker
    That's a selling point to me, never liked parker, dunno why, just never did.