Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Masterpiece Movie Optimus MPM-4

Hasbro photographers could never pose the figures

I would punch a man half to death for a Starscream in this line that isn't a repaint of the (admittedly excellent and already literally my favourite TF ever) Leader Class toy.

Prime looks pretty good and I will likely buy. I like that they're leaning into this line instead of just using it to release leader repaints with premium paint and pricing.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Quote Originally Posted by hYpNoS View Post
    Well the gun and swords can combine into...a gun turret that clips into the rear of the truck.
    There's that. It's good that the gun is a separate piece, since in a lot of cases I feel that the design of a weapon is compromised for the sake of storage, although the buster gun was a good execution of this idea.

Looking at pictures that have been released since, it's clear that this is an all-new mould and not just a heavy retool. I'm particularly curious to see differences in the upper torso, since there is no longer a need to accommodate a light and sound board, two AA batteries, and the Mech-Alive gimmick behind the windscreens.

Quote Originally Posted by doublespy View Post
    Now to wait for an MPM AoE/TLK version. The new Voyager mold gives me hope that it is indeed possible to recreate the design in plastic form. A Masterpiece figure based on knight design will be glorious.
    That would be nice. I'd be up for that.

I think the issue with the AoE leader mould is that Optimus was a new design that the toy designers didn't have enough time to work with to properly translate into a toy in time for its intended release. This is an issue with movieverse toys, and it's why figures in subsequent movies with the same CGI models are better. Examples are RotF leader Optimus and voyager Starscream, HftD leader Starscream and Battle Blades Bumblebee, and now TLK voyager Optimus.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Isn't this just a remould of the Voyager toy??? MPM toys are normally just a standard toy with a fancy paint job.
    The first two MPMs were the Japanese releases of HftD leader Starscream and Battle Ops Bumblebee, so as far as the Japanese consumers were concerned, they were new moulds and not cheaper toys with nice paint jobs. Both had pretty good engineering.

This figure and MPM-3 are all-new moulds.

Someone on Reddit posted this album. I'm not sure where some of the photos were taken. Note that the figure in the display box is mistransformed.
    Last edited by Magnus; 28th April 2017 at 05:53 PM.

If I didn't have my DOTM Jetwing Optimus Prime this would've been tempting. I'm more interested in a good quality bee however and will keep an eye on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Someone on Reddit posted this album. I'm not sure where some of the photos were taken. Note that the figure in the display box is mistransformed.
    Ok, looks a little better, but that back pack still looks far less accurate than Buster. Maybe they didn't have instructions on hand?

Looks like I'm going to finally display some movie figures! While I would love some more G1 Masterpiece releases this will do just fine.

RIP Wallet

At least it'll be a better purchase than most of the TLK line
    I'll update this when I'm needing help finding particular figures

Ok, looks a little better, but that back pack still looks far less accurate than Buster. Maybe they didn't have instructions on hand?
    Found some more photos in the TFW2005 discussion thread:

Someone used the profile photo to make a comparison shot with the RotF mould:

I've mirrored all the photos from those posts into this album.

hYpNoS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Maybe its the fact I got the movie the best leader and itching to gattai him to jetfire but the mpm prime doesn't work for me, with the battlemask deployed he looks...off but with he put back he looks fine.

Need to wait and see more of him, otherwise I'll be selling a leader on ebay

Isn't this just a remould of the Voyager toy??? MPM toys are normally just a standard toy with a fancy paint job.
    The first 2 mpm's were redeco'd LEADER class figure figures (well the bumblebee was "battle ops" bb but he was leader sized).

But leaders back then were marvels compared to today's leaders

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    With the huge official images now released, I was able to compare every part and limb of my Striker Optimus and the first release of that Leader mould, and there is nothing identical with the parts or sculpting. It's amazing at how each part is almost the same, especially the same bits of kibble in the same places, but there looks to be enough parts that are different to have a different transformation (to be a new design). Just like with most of the Movie Optimus toys, it's legs will be out the back and the arms up the front in truck mode, but beyond that, it should be mostly unique, but probably guided by the engineering of the Leader class toy (because it replicated the on-screen Optimus pretty well, so there wasn't much more you could improve on its appearance).
    I stand corrected. The bottom half of the 'bot mode looks to have recycled the RotF Leader engineering, but the top half is mostly new engineering. It's great to see the front half of the truck nose actually transforms into his chest like Optimus did in the movie, with the headlights actually ending up on the chest.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post

I think the issue with the AoE leader mould is that Optimus was a new design that the toy designers didn't have enough time to work with to properly translate into a toy in time for its intended release. This is an issue with movieverse toys, and it's why figures in subsequent movies with the same CGI models are better. Examples are RotF leader Optimus and voyager Starscream, HftD leader Starscream and Battle Blades Bumblebee, and now TLK voyager Optimus.
    Yep. That and the fact that HasTak was aiming for simplified transformation at the time. The over-compensation after the hot mess that was RotF At least for AoE the Takara designers were given a more finalized design than the first movie.

This looks to be shaping up as the definitive movie-verse MK1 Prime for me. Just when I thought the RotF Leader mold couldn't be improved enough to warrant an update, TakTom proves me wrong again.