Page 11 of 152 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415162131 ... LastLast

Thread: The Football (all sorts) Thread

Yeah I thought it was pretty good game, it really got good during the last quarter when we caught up, and to lose by 1 point is a bit of a shame but there is still next week.. I wouldn't say I'm becoming a fan of the concept, but at least it was competitive and I haven't watched any AFL in a month so it was good to see something pretty similar...

While I agree that it does suit the smaller, faster and more agile players, I think we should have brought in a taller, stronger marking player like Roughhead, Hale, Minson, someone similar to that to just play a FF type of role. A few times we just bombed it in, and the Irish killed us by just letting their goalkeeper mark it, if we had a taller player their they could have at least made a contest of it..

Apart from Petrie who I saw a few times down there in the forward half, it seemed like all our forward line was about 6ft or smaller, and unless it came to the ground we couldn't compete..

That's just what I thought while watching the match anyway

I caught the A-League game in Melbourne today w/ friends today. Brought back memories since hte last time I went was with Dirge. Ironically it was also with friends from Sydney this time. This could become an annual thing. Can't say Melbourne deserved their top of the ladder standing coming into the game, I don't know much about girl's football (oops I meant soccer) but it wasn't attractive. Sydney played very well though for a team supposedly decimated with injuries.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    ...I don't know much about girl's football (oops I meant soccer) but it wasn't attractive....
    Haha don't let soccer fans hear you say that... I don't watch any of the A-League apart from what I see on Sports-Tonight, I only watch Premier League when I can and the World Cup of course..

Onto another footy code, Rugby League, and I'm currently watching the ENG vs PNG match.. A pretty good game, PNG are a pretty passionate bunch, don't have the same amount of money put into them as teams like AUS, NZ, ENG etc but they still play their hearts out.. The result wasn't unexpected, but I thought ENG would win by more...

Final result was ENG 32 - PNG 22

David Moore looks to be a player of the future, plays for the Gold Coast, played in the Toyota Cup this year where I saw a little bit of him, tonight was the first full game I've seen of him, and he looks to a certain starter for first grade next year...

Stanley Gene is a pretty handy player, considering his age is unknown but is rumored to be between 32 and 58 :S haha

North Melbourne-bot...?

PNG wuz robbed!
    Nice to see that NRL standard referees are being used in an international competition... this is going to be a messy tournie.

Seriously though PNG really surprised the Pommies, and I expect them to challenge the Aussies too. If England do not improve greatly they will be going home after the opening round.

It's too bad that channel 9 are being such dolts with the airing of matches, not only do we have an hour or so delay for most matches so 9 can air all mayches at 8.30, we also miss out on the Dream Team vs. Maori game that will precede the AUS vs. NZ, whicdh I think may end up being one of the best games of the whole World Cup.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

I caught the A-League game in Melbourne today w/ friends today. Brought back memories since hte last time I went was with Dirge.
    Ahhh... the way we was!

Can't say Melbourne deserved their top of the ladder standing coming into the game, I don't know much about girl's football (oops I meant soccer) but it wasn't attractive. Sydney played very well though for a team supposedly decimated with injuries.
    The game wasn't the best purely because Melbourne, despite trying hard, could never get going. For all of Sydney's injuries, we still had players who could make the difference. Last night showed just how much of Melbourne's winning is down to Archie Thompson - one of the best goalpoachers Australia has produced. If Archie was playing, I doubt Sydney would have won...

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

I felt sorry for PNG. They have a couple of outstanding young players. David Moore was good so was their number 13 who's name I believe was Griffin (Strange he didn't look like he was from PNG when we met)

I too am annoyed that we miss the indigineous vs maori game yet Channel have to make us endure the over the top stereotypical and cliched opening ceremony before we can watch Benji carve them up.

Also no real shock in the France/Scotland game.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Quote Originally Posted by Bartrim View Post
    Strange he didn't look like he was from PNG when we met
    Haha I wouldn't have picked a few of those guys as being from PNG.. But I guess it does go back to your grandparents or something to be eligible to play for that country, something like that I think anyway..

Yeah I would've loved to see the Indigenous vs Maori game, I heard we were getting the highlights before the AUS vs NZ game? As far as I remember I didn't see them... Oh well

Haven't seen much of Benji so far I am a huge fan of him as well though..
    Last edited by jacksplatt11; 26th October 2008 at 10:32 PM.

North Melbourne-bot...?

Quote Originally Posted by jacksplatt11 View Post
    Yeah I would've loved to see the Indigenous vs Maori game, I heard we were getting the highlights before the AUS vs NZ game? As far as I remember I didn't see them... Oh well

Haven't seen much of Benji so far I am a huge fan of him as well though..
    it was on channel 9 in sydney at 4pm today i caught the last 30 minutes of the game whilst flicking through the channels

Quote Originally Posted by dirge View Post
    Ahhh... the way we was!
    I know, I remembered us sitting in the sun last time and so was conscious of avoiding it this time (tho we did get there slightly late).

Quote Originally Posted by dirge View Post
    The game wasn't the best purely because Melbourne, despite trying hard, could never get going. For all of Sydney's injuries, we still had players who could make the difference. Last night showed just how much of Melbourne's winning is down to Archie Thompson - one of the best goalpoachers Australia has produced. If Archie was playing, I doubt Sydney would have won...
    My Sydney friends who'd come down though were estatic and somewhat frustrated I could not see the brilliance of the game. Course this is only the ever 2nd game of soccer I've seen live. I have to say though that the stadium had a lot of life (and pissed off Melbourne supporters). Some "Cisse" guy copped a lot of crap from my section of the crowd. I just shrugged cos well soccer doesn't do much for me though I can appreciate some skilful foot skills.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
    it was on channel 9 in sydney at 4pm today i caught the last 30 minutes of the game whilst flicking through the channels
    Ahh well there you go, must have just been us Victorians that missed out, we had Malcolm in the Middle at 4 today from memory

North Melbourne-bot...?