Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 123456781323 ... LastLast

Thread: Masterpiece Optimus Primal

[QUOTE=Tetsuwan Convoy;503886]

Imagine if the G1 cartoon had used some time-travel scanning tech and used the original toys in it. Would we be so impressed with Masterpieces based solely off the look of the toy?

QUOTE]

Personally I think if they did that using the G1 toys for the toons.... it would lead to a whole lot of bricky issues, also another would be the size/scale would end up ridiculous .... e.g. Blaster vs Soundwave... Devastator vs Ultramagnus plus articulating such bricks would really be hard and time consuming for the animators, at least the beasties have articulation so they get an idea how they can make em move or pose....
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

To the haters, words from the bot himself:

Bemused Optimus Primal

TRANSFORMERS: DEICIDE -- The Beast Wars 20th Anniversary Comic Book series that could have been...
    TRANSFORMERS: UNITY -- the BotCon 2016 Comic Book that should have been...

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    Personally I think if they did that using the G1 toys for the toons.... it would lead to a whole lot of bricky issues, also another would be the size/scale would end up ridiculous .... e.g. Blaster vs Soundwave... Devastator vs Ultramagnus plus articulating such bricks would really be hard and time consuming for the animators, at least the beasties have articulation so they get an idea how they can make em move or pose....
    Challenge of the Gobots was more toy-accurate than Transformers (except for the goofy faces), and yeah, it was all just animated bricks on screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Verno View Post
    To the haters, words from the bot himself
    Dude, I don't think anyone here hates this toy. I don't think anyone here even dislikes it. I think the general consensus is more of just pensive reservation, because this toy doesn't seem - for now - to be leaps and bounds ahead of the original Ultra Class toy. When you look at MP toys based on G1 TFs, they're often significantly massive improvements over the original G1 toys, both in terms of engineering and show likeness. Just look at Ironhide and Ratchet.

MP Optimus Primal doesn't appear to have achieved this similar sort of "leaps and bounds" level of improvement over the original toy. Yes, it does look better, but not as improved over the original BW figure than G1 MPs are over the original G1 toys. And honestly, there's no need to be upset over this, because this is really a compliment to Beast Wars, as it just goes to show just how freaking awesome the original BW toys were, that even modern Classicsverse or MP level of engineering still cannot significantly trump the originals. This should serve to remind everyone of just how revolutionary Beast Wars toys were when they first hit the scene in 1996-97. This is why Beast Wars is often referred to as the "Transformers Renaissance," and it set the standard for toy engineering ever since. Even today I still encounter certain design features in current Generations and MP toys that I first encountered during Beast Wars.

I love Beast Wars and I love Optimus Primal, but this is going to be a relatively expensive MP toy. Ultra Class Optimus Primal remains one of my all time favourite Transformers toys which cost me less than forty bucks. If I didn't already own the original toy, I'd be all over this MP like a rash. I'm currently really undecided about this toy, TBH. I'm also waiting to see what the advertised RRP for this toy will be too.

But really, each time you hear someone say that a modern day "update" of a BW toy doesn't seem to be much better than the original, take it as a compliment to that original toy. It shows that Beast Wars has withstood the test of time, whereas G1 toys are badly outclassed by modern standards. The original Ultra Optimus Primal toy still holds his own today, whereas G1 Ironhide is just laughable.

Essentially, Gok, your argument boils down to Beast Wars toys not needing updates because the original toys are still comparatively good.

But this isn't a matter of need. This is a matter of deserving. You spout the importance of Beast Wars in the history of Transformers, but would rob it of an opportunity for it to be shown. "The toy isn't a good enough improvement over the original so it shouldn't be done at all..." Well I'm sorry. Beast Wars deserves every bit of attention it can get.

TRANSFORMERS: DEICIDE -- The Beast Wars 20th Anniversary Comic Book series that could have been...

I don't think Gok is saying it shouldn't be getting a look in, I think he's saying it's going to have to do something special to take the place of the ultra Primal in his heart.

I can see the point he's making, the wow factor comparing a G1 toy to an MP is a big step. where comparing a generations G1 toy to an MP g1 toy isn't quite so impressive.

I'm very happy for lovers of Beast wars, I don't think the toy should have flocking, it will rub and wear and then there will be bald spots. I have the impression that Takara are going for the screen accuracy of a smooth finish which I think is a lot more achievable. Might dip into the uncanny valley for some though.

Hopefully down the road there will be more Beast wars Masterpiece toys and for fans of other series, Masterpiece toys from those lines as well. As a lover of the G1 line myself, I will be happy if they make 2 or 3 Moulds of G1 Characters as masterpiece per year for the foreseeable future. sharing the production space around other series suits me just fine.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Essentially, Gok, your argument boils down to Beast Wars toys not needing updates because the original toys are still comparatively good.

But this isn't a matter of need. This is a matter of deserving. You spout the importance of Beast Wars in the history of Transformers, but would rob it of an opportunity for it to be shown. "The toy isn't a good enough improvement over the original so it shouldn't be done at all..." Well I'm sorry. Beast Wars deserves every bit of attention it can get.
    Hell yeah, Beast Wars deserves acknowledgement as one of the most important aspects of the franchise. But what it deserves isn't a simple remake of an already stellar toy. It deserves a full line of Generations figures, or a new cartoon series based on it (like AEC, Animated, and Aligned have been for G1) with accompanying toy line, or a video game, or something, anything, new. This isn't what BW deserves. It's nostalgia, pure and simple, like everything in the Masterpiece line, and Beast Wars deserves better than that. It deserves something that acknowledges how innovative, fresh, and controversial it was when first released by being just as innovative, fresh, and controversial. Transformers as a line is trading way too much on nostalgia these days, and ultimately that will harm the line. Beast Wars doesn't deserve this, it deserves better.

Quote Originally Posted by Zommael View Post
    Hell yeah, Beast Wars deserves acknowledgement as one of the most important aspects of the franchise. But what it deserves isn't a simple remake of an already stellar toy. It deserves a full line of Generations figures, or a new cartoon series based on it (like AEC, Animated, and Aligned have been for G1) with accompanying toy line, or a video game, or something, anything, new. This isn't what BW deserves. It's nostalgia, pure and simple, like everything in the Masterpiece line, and Beast Wars deserves better than that. It deserves something that acknowledges how innovative, fresh, and controversial it was when first released by being just as innovative, fresh, and controversial. Transformers as a line is trading way too much on nostalgia these days, and ultimately that will harm the line. Beast Wars doesn't deserve this, it deserves better.
    You say that Transformers is trading too much in nostalgia these days, yet you want a new Beast Wars cartoon series...? You see the irony there, right?

You say that Transformers is trading too much in nostalgia these days, yet you want a new Beast Wars cartoon series...? You see the irony there, right?
    I didn't say I wanted a new BW cartoon series per se. I want something that does for Beast Wars what the cartoon series this century have done for G1, so based on that but with new ideas and refinements. Beast Wars was innovative and shocking when it was released. It's time the franchise got back to ideas like that rather than plumbing the same well all the time.

I love beast wars and will get this Primal no matter what. But even I have to admit. It doesn't really seem all that different to the original. At least it makes me less depressed that I couldn't get that Japanese legends re,release
    Hopefully as development progresses this will look more impressive

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    Size/scale wouldn't have been any more of a problem than it already was, but I think you're missing my point.
    Which was this
    If we consider MPs to be a combination of G1 toys goodness as well as including the media representation of a character, then it will be harder for that to be accomplished for Beast Wars as the CG models were made from the toys, with minor teaks to adjust proportions.

Sure there were exceptions, but in the case of Primal, the CG model and toy are already both fairly similar. Therefore, providing an MP quality Primal figure produces more of challenge than providing an MP quality Prime.

Things are getting pretty heated in here already...