Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question regarding recent aquisition of G1 Hotrod - reissue?

Default Question regarding recent aquisition of G1 Hotrod - reissue?

Hello all.

I am starting to become paranoid after recently purchasing a G1 Hotrod off of ebay from a mixed lot of other transformers. I have some concerns to Hotrod's originality as he's in extremely good condition with no chrome wear, with only a few rubs here and there.

When G1 Hotrod was reissued were there any significant changes to the design in comparison to the original? I read somewhere that the metal feet might be a sign of a re release? (Mine has metal feet by the way). Inside the chest area on orange plastic are the inscriptions HASBRO 1986 and TAKARA CO LTD 1986 JAPAN, although I'm not sure if a reissue would have updated dates on it on not.

The original auction was here: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=170261732874

Images I just took recently:

so your wondering if its an 80's Hotrod or a reissue Hotrod?

since it the target master one and in very good condition I'm guessing reissue.

Pulse is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

Well, I've got one of these & mine has the exact same Hasbro/Takara '86 markings as yours as well as metal feet...

Im not sure about Hotrod but either my encore Megs or Omega Supreme has both old and new stamp dates on it. Some one will have the answer on here.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Collecting transformers- a good way to get poor
    Transformer count= too many

Currently in search of:
    G1 goodness

The original Hot Rod was available in either metal or plastic feet variants. Targetmaster Hot Rod has larger holes for the gun, and the guns have thicker handles.

I don't know now. I just wish there was an easier way to distinguish 1980s manufactured G1 Transformers from reissues, if reissues just have the original date stamps without the addition of any current date stamps.

It depends - some reissues are more distinguishable than others. Some reissues are nearly perfect reproductions except for the copyright stampage, whilst others are far more drastically altered.

Hang on, lemme grab my original and reissue Targetmaster Hot Rods... argh, pins and needles... okay, I'm good now...

*hobbles upstairs*

Back.

I used to have the non-Targetmaster reissue Hot Rod, but it was stolen from me 3 years ago. Alas.

Okay, the copyright stamp on the original toy reads:
    (C) HASBRO (C) TAKARA CO, LTD
    1986 1986 JAPAN

On the Targetmaster reissue it reads:
    (C) HASBRO (C) TAKARA CO, LTD
    1986 1986 CHINA

The original also has a "T" moulding on the plastic around the copyright stamp whereas the Targetmaster reissue doesn't have the vertical column. The Targetmaster reissue also has two vertical bits of plastic around the central column inside waist section. The central pin of the wheels on the original has five bumps whereas the TM reissue is smooth. There's also a mould variation on the plastic just surrounding the copyright stampage...

Hang on, I'll take some photos...

*grabs camera* *fiddle.fiddle.fiddle*

Here ya go:

Now I don't know if these variations exist on the 2000 non-Targetmaster reissue Hot Rod or what variations exist on the original 1987 Targetmaster Hot Rod (I recommend consulting Fred's Workshop for more info on that) as I don't have those toys. But these are the differences between the original 1986 Hot Rod and the reissue Targetmaster.

Hope that helps.

I think my Hotrod is the Non target master metal toes version (non booktype small as box). I seem to recall that the original released Hotrod was sorta Magenta red in hue as well not the Red or Dark red (in the case of my figure) and the yellow spoiler was more brighter. I could be wrong, as this is only based on my memory when I was a kid seeing/playing with my neighbors figure compared to what I have now in my collection.

With my version - the stamping and details inside are the same as that of the second set of pics you posted there Gok.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Well the copyright stampage and moulding on Eruntalon's Hot Rod there is the same as the original 1986 Hot Rod. So either that is an extremely well kept original or a knock off.