Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3rd Party Combiner Upgrade Parts

Ace is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Default 3rd Party Combiner Upgrade Parts

Hi all,

I like the idea of these 3rd party upgrade parts for the G1 combiners. I was wondering whats out there as a few different sets have been made by different companys. I'd love to hear from anyone with reviews or just able to advise what the different sets are and what seems to be the best.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

wow guys really appreciating all the help you've given me!

look up crazy devy they have a number of combiner upgrqades mind you at a very steep price. I bought the Devastator leg upgrade which is pretty neat looking.
    There is also another company bringing out a G1 Devastator upgrade set not sure on the price or release on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    wow guys really appreciating all the help you've given me!
    I'm not sure if that's a genuine thankyou or there's sarcasm involved, but only 1 day has passed since you posted this (looking at timestamps)

I don't own a g1 devastator but I would guess most of the members here don't either and those that do, probably don't have all the upgrade parts which might be why no one other than loophole has commented.

maybe they're too busy and might have missed this thread.

anyway from googling

there's the super expensive crazy devy
    jb-07 junkion blacksmith upgrade set
    XTRANSBOTS - XP-1

you're welcome.

now i can sincerely thank you for your replies, it was upsetting to recieve no replies at first as I was after some advice and it seems that there is usually a very swift response by at least one member in regards to new threads being posted.

I apologise for the sarcasm as I was looking forward to (hopefully) hearing a decent amount of feedback over preferences in the look, structure, opinion or preference of the upgrades. It wasn't a question solely aimed at owners of the upgrades. Maybe I should state that next time I am looking for a discussion.

I'd still love to hear from anyone with an opinion on these upgrades. As this is a forum I'm sure there are plenty of oposing preferences on here.

I myself do own all the US released G1 gestalts but honestly, from what I've seen of the various upgrade sets for G1 figures... They all kind of suck to me as I don't believe they're in need of an upgrade, as opposed to those released under the Classicsverse line.

It also has to be said that, especially in the case of the Crazy Devy Predaking upgrades, they can also possibly damage your figures horribly but a lot of the time in Crazy Devy's case the upgrades are completely unnecessary, biases aside.

The thigh upgrades for G1 Devy are arguable though as they give him that 'sort of missing' pair of thighs but they also add articulation that just seems too much for G1 figures if you know what I mean.

Honestly Ace, I've yet to see a G1 upgrade that has caused any large number of fans to go "Whoa!" like they do for other generations of figures, as often there is far more wrong with them as there is right; I hope my little observations are of some help to you dude but personally I can't see myself buying any ever.

...Although!
    Have you seen some of the G1 Upgrade Stickers that Reprolabels has produced?, now some of those I've seriously considered such as those for Metroplex.

wow hurst! those sticker upgrades look amazing! I've had a look from time to time on reprolabels, apart from the alternators jazz upgrade nothing has really tickled my fancy. I may look into the metroplex upgrade though, Thank you!

As for the upgrade parts, yeh i have heard that the upgrade wings on predaking can damage G1 predakings which would suck big time! I think what I was liking about the upgrades especially for predaking, is that it makes the figure look bigger and badder. But I guess this could also be due to the way the pics have been taken. They are quite expensive though aren't they!

Thank you for taking the time and sharing your thoughts Hurst, same goes for you kaiden and loophole!

Going to throw in my two cents here as well. In my opinion, G1 combiner teams were designed in a bygone era and should be enjoyed the way they are - rigid and bricklike in all their glory!

These upgrades are just an attempt to make them more articulated and therefore more like the classics/universe line - in essence; something they're not.

Plus, they're pretty expensive considering the very little aesthetic value they add to the figures.

I'm Kent Brockman...and that's My Two Cents.

That seems to be the general consensus from what I've been hearing whoop.. I mean Kent haha

Wouldn't the upgrades contribute to a more poseable figure though? This wouldn't be something that you'd like to see on the G1's? I mean the reason why it appealed to me is because you would have that extra articulation in certain areas especially as highlighted before about the hip joints on devastator.

I think its the idea of being able to do more with the figures whilst they're being displayed that I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    I think its the idea of being able to do more with the figures whilst they're being displayed that I like.
    I think dude, that for every negative take on that stance you'll likely find just as many who are for it - I say taste test it with one of the less expensive sets and see how you like it; the most obvious might be the Devastator upgrade that's soon to be released by someone other than Crazy Devy (Just can't think of who they are, sorry ).