Thread: Suggestion - a search bar

Default Suggestion - a search bar

Just was thinking/wondering if it was possible to incorporate into the site (and I have NO idea how one would do it - I'm a technological ignoramus ) a tool so you can search for Threads by particular words.

For instance I wanted to write up my opinion/review of BH Traicutter but had to go through about 6 pages of Ratbats Reviews before I found the Thread that Griffin had put up about him. Would have been great if there was a search bar where I could have put in 'Trailcutter' and it would have brought up all the threads with Trailcutter in the name.

A new member to our little online family started a thread questioning about Metroplex. If we had a search bar he prob could have put 'Metroplex' in and found the info he was after quite quickly rather than having to start a new thread.

Anyway, just a suggestion

There is a search function for each 'sub-forum'.
    It's a button marked 'search this forum' on the right hand side.
    Is that what you mean, or are you talking about something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Demonac View Post
    There is a search function for each 'sub-forum'.
    It's a button marked 'search this forum' on the right hand side.
    Is that what you mean, or are you talking about something else?
    Heh - I'd forgotten that was there

Sorry, I should have clarified. I was actually thinking of something where it just brought up the Threads where the word is in the title. I think the current search brings up every thread where that word is mentioned in some post within it, which for a bot like Metroplex can equal hundreds as he is mentioned so often

Every page has at the top (between the banner image and the sightings/sales box) a bar that has a tab called "search" (third from the right).
    This tab can either do a quick search of the entire sit, or you can click on "advanced search" and narrow down fields (like sections, users, words, dates, etc).
    Also, as Demonac noted, you have the "search this forum" on the far right of the main table in each section.... and "search this thread" at the start of each thread when you go to read it.

If it is something else that I'm missing, please give more detail, or an example on another site.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Heh - I'd forgotten that was there

Sorry, I should have clarified. I was actually thinking of something where it just brought up the Threads where the word is in the title. I think the current search brings up every thread where that word is mentioned in some post within it, which for a bot like Metroplex can equal hundreds as he is mentioned so often
    When you go to the "advanced search" you can select "search titles only" on the left hand side.

You can also choose if you want matching posts listed, or the entire matching topic, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    In the "advanced search" you can select "search titles only" on the left hand side.

You can also choose if you want matching posts listed, or the entire matching topic, as well.
    I should pay more attention, considering how often I am on here

Thank you

Here to help.