Thread: And the BotCon replacement Convention iiiiiiiis...

Default And the BotCon replacement Convention iiiiiiiis...

I saw this last night when it was just posted up on TFW, and now it has 200 posts just half a day later.

“Organizing and conducting conventions, exhibitions, fan clubs and gatherings for entertainment purposes and in the fields of toys, animation, comic books, fantasy, gaming, popular culture, science fiction, television and film”
    Since FunPub are likely to keep the BotCon name (that they bought off the Hartmans, who I think wanted it to be used for future Transformers conventions), this could be a combined convention of their properties that would end up looking more like Supanova or SDCC, with guests from various properties, and a dealer room of ALL toys (tending to be mostly recent retail release toys instead of more vintage or foreign toys)... but that probably prohibits non-Hasbro toys (which wouldn't be much fun to those like me who like to look through the MOTU toys in the BotCon Dealer Room for ones I'm missing).
    I imagine that a "Hascon" would end up with some Brands being the dominant elements (like Transformers and MLP) in terms of guests, displays and panels, while other Brands would be there as a token effort just for the marketing of the event and any big Brand fan who is a fan of that smaller Brand who would otherwise not ever see a dedicated convention for it.

I would also imagine seeing the Hascon be scheduled around a major movie release of that year... or maybe even more than one a year... and any exclusive toys would be on par with SDCC exclusives, in that they would be a little creative, but not too creative to not appeal to the general public. (Doing another Metroplex instead of Metrotitan, or another Gen1 Devastator instead of an orange or yellow Gen2 Devastator... or this year being rumoured to have another Gen1 Fort Max instead of a Grand Maximus)

The inclusion of the word "fan clubs" is worrying, as a Hasbro run Club would be like any of their other fan-focussed endeavours - a good effort at first, but soon neglected and abandoned after a few months or a year. If we thought FunPub was bad with communications and updates, Hasbro would be worse.

I'd say that BotCon is indeed over in that big Con format... for the foreseeable future... and if it ever did come back in any way (even as a fan-run unofficial convention IF FunPub relinquished/sold the name), it just won't be the same, or entice back the regulars after a lengthy absence.

Hascon? Reckon Brocon would be better

Finally... my dreams of a Pinky Pie + Optimus Prime crossover is one step closer to reality

It is a little disappointing if they are combining all their franchises together for future cons.
    I've never been to a Transformers Con but I have always hoped to because the focus wouldn't be spread like it is at other conventions such as Supernova or ani-con. I much prefer the single franchise experience (from previous cons focussed on things like Buffy and Star Trek) as it isn't diluted or competing.

I hope this is just something extra Hasbro are looking at to promote all their franchises and that they will still find a way to allow the individual properties they own to have their own unique and diverse events as well otherwise I can see Transformers being drowned out by Disney Princesses, Star Wars and Marvel Superheroes. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Bladestorm View Post
    It is a little disappointing if they are combining all their franchises together for future cons.
    I've never been to a Transformers Con but I have always hoped to because the focus wouldn't be spread like it is at other conventions such as Supernova or ani-con. I much prefer the single franchise experience (from previous cons focussed on things like Buffy and Star Trek) as it isn't diluted or competing.

I hope this is just something extra Hasbro are looking at to promote all their franchises and that they will still find a way to allow the individual properties they own to have their own unique and diverse events as well otherwise I can see Transformers being drowned out by Disney Princesses, Star Wars and Marvel Superheroes. :/
    I also feel the same... How long before Transformers becomes a side stall rather than a main feature?

Having said that... with Hasbro AU showing interest in Transformers in Australia, could we see a HASCON in Oz?

Looks like Hasbro have also trademarked "Hasbrocon" to lock up the two similar names, plus they appear to have registered a website domain of hasbro-con.com.

Another new trademark recently found is Allspark Industries, to go with their Allspark Pictures trademark... but it's description doesn't have anything to do with the new conventions projects.