Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Selling TFs isn't fun

Default Selling TFs isn't fun

I hate selling TFs/toys. Period.

Part of me thinks it'd be easier to donate TFs to an op shop than sell them but I feel like I need to send them onto a home that will appreciate them.

Recouping some of the costs I paid to get the items is a non issue. I make more than enough money that the time I've spent selling is worth less than what I'd make. The G1 loose toys are the worst. Organising them by accessory is plain painful.

If it weren't for running out of space, I would never have had to bother. It just emphasises to me again how picky u have to be these days with buying stuff. I'm very selective these days but damn accumulation just happens fast.

I am appreciative that we have a hobby that is generally very cost neutral if we choose to sell our toys on later on, but I guess I'm just ranting cos it seems such a darn chore to sell stuff. I don't know how other ppl manage to do it.

Okay, end mini rant
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Don't try selling on Gumtree. It's a nightmare. Idiots everywhere.

I agree selling toys is not fun
    from recent experiences its a very slow process. I have tried everything from selling in lots, to make an offer, free postage. Most people just buy single items so offering combined postage orders on multiple items is very rare it would seem people are very selective indeed, or like many of us already have heaps of stuff already. With this kind of buying trend it is very difficult in general to sell items for decent prices. Some rare pieces seem to be the exception, but not often. It all depends on what you are selling. Transformers seem to do ok, cause they have an ongoing line. I have tried selling non transformers toys from dead lines from 5 to 10 years ago, and there is like zero interest. I have given alot of toys to charity over the years, its a practical way to pass things onto other people with no stress. Selling experiences are not stress free.

I'll sell them for ya But I tend to list them for prices I think they will sell reasonably quickly at, I care not for trying to get back what I paid.

Totally agree as I still have quite a few loose G1s I need to get rid of, might be easier just put them up for trade with what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
    ...or like many of us already have heaps of stuff already...
    This. When I moved a few years ago and finally could see how many TFs I actually had, I started a cull that's still not done. At the start of the year I resorted to giving TFs away because nobody was interested in them, and even then some people didn't take them!

I have about a quarter of a bedroom full of stuff I'm trying to sell, or at least get to a good home. I'll lose money on most things and I'm fine with that, sick of stuff I don't want taking up space . I would ask market price for things like BotCon stuff and Genkei but loose UT deluxes or Movie legends toys... whatever the offer!

G1 accessories are annoying, but so is finding the Minicon for Armada toys, and Energon star, the correct Cyber planet key etc etc. And then all the taking the photos, making the listings, getting the packing supplies, postage quotes, carting off to the post office.

I'm too tempted to go to the op shops, like I've done with a lot of books, but I find myself thinking that the TF toys I want to get rid of are "too good" for that. They're in great shape and surely some TF collector could use them. But maybe I should just accept that getting them to some kids via an op shop
    is the better outcome.

Yeah, I've often thought I should buy big lots, strip what I want and sell the rest off. But I've never been able to garner the energy to be bothered going through all that rigmarol. It seems selling toys is just a pain and very time consuming.

A friend constantly tells me how he's got a giant Star Wars collection that has cost him bugger all because the way he's traded and sold huge lots over the past 20 years. Happy for him but then he doesn't have a wife/girlfriend, kid, career etc so I'd rather have a life with a smaller/more costly collection

I haven't sold too much but i don't find the experience stressful. I did find it time consuming but i also enjoy a making a buyer happy with a package i send - i get a genuine kick out of that.

For me, i have to be picky with what i can afford and when. I find the extra few dollars of postage usually turns me away from buying items. I also find it hard to ask for a lower price as sales are often reluctant and brought about by hardship. Every deal is different and for the most part i see a lot of great things for sale but i can't buy on a whim so i move on and read another thread.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Metro View Post
    Don't try selling on Gumtree. It's a nightmare. Idiots everywhere.
    Yep, even as a buyer, people tend to not reply and if they do, they are quick to abandon communication half way through a transaction leaving you hanging.

It is terrible.

I've been think about this a bit lately too. I have some figures that I really dont want anymore, but as we are saying, I dont think selling is the answer. Plus they're not really worth that much.
    I was going to suggest this to one of the mods, but I'd be interested to hear other thoughts/opinions.

So my wife is part of this online thing where people offer stuff for free. Ranges from things like bundles of clothes kids have outgrown, old toys, bikes, books (novels), old tools, DVDs, CDs, etc. Someone even offered a car. Its all a bit of a pay-it-forward type thing. Way less hassle than selling, better than chucking it away, and most stuff gets taken.

I was wondering if something like this would work here for TF toys. Of course it would have to moderated and there would have to be a set of rules. And maybe only open to Deluxe and above members - to make sure they are going to good homes.

Obviously no-one is going to give away a G1 Overlord, but there seems to be plenty of cheaper figures (looking at you, movielines), junkers, loose weapons, paperwork, etc that are sitting around in boxes that probably arent worth the time and hassle to sell.
    Plus think of all that good karma you'll get!

Anyway, like I said, just a thought.
    Last edited by klystron; 12th August 2014 at 01:47 PM.
    TF Figs of 2023:
    1) WnR Springer
    2) Legacy Bludgeon
    3) Legacy Leo Prime/Nemesis Leo Prime.