Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 81823242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Classics 2.0/Universe Comments thread

I got Cyclonus yesterday. He. Is. Awesome. Seriously. Also, Nightstick is poseble!

I'm quite fond of Dinobot. The raptor mode is great. I keep seeing it sitting there on a pile of books and thinking: that looks great. I particularly love the tail has been given a natural looking bend to make it look like a real dinosaur. The robot mode is pretty well hidden. They could have got the arms a bit better hidden but it's a much better job than the original Dinobot with his robot legs in their place. The heels at the back at the foot are easily ignored.

The transformation has some nice extra touches using extra panels in the chest and thigh which are just there for appearances sake and I appreciate those. The two types of hands are another extra the toy doesn't need but allow you to pose the toy with a more classic look or a show like look. The Predacon/Maximal gimmick has a nice side-effect that you can hide the insignia altogether in in raptor mode.

The colours aren't perfect, but they evoke the cartoon character. Both of his weapons, missle sword and swirling open tail are there. Shame no green light up eyes for the other main weapon he used in the show. Good head too. I'm glad I waited 11 years to get a toy of Dinobot as this IMHO the best one we've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    I'm quite fond of Dinobot. The raptor mode is great. I keep seeing it sitting there on a pile of books and thinking: that looks great. I particularly love the tail has been given a natural looking bend to make it look like a real dinosaur.
    Slight problem about the tail on this Dinobot: the bend isn't natural. Dromaeosaurids (the group of dinosaurs that included Velociraptor) had tails stiffened by rods of bone to act as a counterweight for the dinosaur. So Dinobot should realistically only be able to bend his tail at its base.

HOWEVER, upon looking up Wikipedia to clarify this information, I found that a Velociraptor fossil was found with a tail that was curved laterally in an S-shape, which suggests that it was capable of some movement. So Dinobot may actually be realistic.

Also, he should have feathers. And a longer head, if he's supposed to be a Velociraptor. As it is, Dinobot's beast mode looks more like a Deinonychus, a larger dromaeosaurid.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverDragon View Post
    c.
    Also, he should have feathers. And a longer head, if he's supposed to be a Velociraptor. As it is, Dinobot's beast mode looks more like a Deinonychus, a larger dromaeosaurid.
    This has always been a problem not only in Transformers but Jurrasic Park, I guess people just think Raptor sounds cooler than Deinonychus. At least Dino Riders got it right.

If its this BIG it's a freaking Deinonychus!

Slight problem about the tail on this Dinobot: the bend isn't natural. Dromaeosaurids (the group of dinosaurs that included Velociraptor) had tails stiffened by rods of bone to act as a counterweight for the dinosaur. So Dinobot should realistically only be able to bend his tail at its base.

HOWEVER, upon looking up Wikipedia to clarify this information, I found that a Velociraptor fossil was found with a tail that was curved laterally in an S-shape, which suggests that it was capable of some movement. So Dinobot may actually be realistic.

I bow to your greater dinosaur knowledge... Dinobot seems like a real dinosaur based on my knowledge from TV shows and movies.

The curvature of the tail may also be from the shrinking of the tail muscles as the carcass rotted away, pulling the tail into an unnatural position. It's a theory that has been discussed since the 60's.

Yeah a Deinonychus would be a better fit, Jurrasic park made the Velociraptors quite a bit larger in the film than their skeletons indicate.
    The Raptors in JP3 had feathers, which was rather silly since they didnt have any in the previous 2 films...
    And feathers are still only a theory (albeit one that makes a lot of sense).
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

JP3 was rather silly.

Yeah a Deinonychus would be a better fit, Jurrasic park made the Velociraptors quite a bit larger in the film than their skeletons indicate.
    The Raptors in JP3 had feathers, which was rather silly since they didnt have any in the previous 2 films...
    And feathers are still only a theory (albeit one that makes a lot of sense).
    Theory? Like hell feathers on dromaeosaurs are a theory-fossils have been found showing the preserved marks of feathers. Granted, not Deinonychus itself, but the bird-like features that all dromaeosaurs had makes it likely. There's even debate over whether they were really dinosaurs or flightless birds based on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed View Post
    This has always been a problem not only in Transformers but Jurrasic Park, I guess people just think Raptor sounds cooler than Deinonychus. At least Dino Riders got it right.

If its this BIG it's a freaking Deinonychus!
    If it's THAT bit, it's a Utahraptor!

omfg Dino Riders.

Aside from Transformers, I think Dino Riders will be the other thing I'll go after on eBay.
    Last edited by SilverDragon; 19th March 2009 at 07:52 PM.

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

So I opened my three universe characters today, hound, inferno and galvatron.

Now, let's get it out of the way. Galvatron sucked. Big time. Looks great, but why oh why did they have to do such a hard transformation? Parts popped off everywhere, I got entirely lost on the back kibble, what the hell man? 2d instructions still suck arse. It had every single element that annoyed me about certain cybertron and especially movie toys all in the one package.

I tried to put it back to tank mode, no way man. I couldn't figure out the "feet" to get the legs back together, so it's staying in robot mode. So I suggest to get two of these, one to transform and the other to leave as tank because it aint turning back into a tank. Not unless you take whatever drugs that will warp your mind as much as the designer did.

Next is hound. Looked sucky in the pictures, much better in real life. Ravage was pretty cool that it folded up into half its size.

Next hound, much better than I expected, still pretty average to me though. Meh. Big daddy kicks its arse every way.

Next inferno. Transformation was awesome. 100/10.

BUT! Mine was very loose in the joints. Keeps flopping all over the shop. Pity that. Lacked ratcheted joints.
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------