Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia

Go Back   Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia (otca.com.au) > Info and Activities > Grapple's Creative Stuff

Sightings/Sales

Old 11th January 2018, 09:31 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Default custom CW Ratchet

...or, I'm too cheap to buy the Unite Warriors set.

Repainted First Aid with a Smokescreen head. Sound simple no? Well sit you down a spell and let me spin you a yarn.

At first I thought I could just rub off the original's red livery. There were too many nooks and crannies for a complete clean, and the legs would still be a problem, so I abandoned that.

Then I thought I could just paint over only the red bits. Primed them, painted then discovered I couldn't get a match for the original white. Forget your fifty shades of grey, there's a billion shades of white.

Then I thought I could repaint the whole thing white. The white I had didn't apply well, so I stripped off everything I had applied up to this point. Back to square one.

I ended up spray painting it, and manually touching up where needed. To save myself some aggravation all the red lines/crosses are just electrical tape.

Confession: paint rub is awful. But most of my bots are display only, so I can live with it.

The detail up this close is unforgiving. In real life it doesn't look that bad.
Old 11th January 2018, 09:39 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

I hear white is the hardest colour to paint but I always love your daring in repainting anything. I am too busy saving money for regular releases to even dream of repainting them. So bravo, even if it is a tiny bit messy, unlike others you regularly apply a spot-on colour in the right (Takara-esce) places and make the figures look good!