Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic review: Robots in Disguise season 2: #28 onwards

I thought this was one of the best RID issues I have read. A nice shout out to the animated movie poster in one panel, Galvatron killing his human ally was cool, the ship getting blasted was great and overall it was very good. I REALLY hope that Ramjet and Thrust turn out to be alive and being duplicated somehow rather than dead and just being cloned. Thrusts death that didn't even happen on panel in Spotlight Prowl really annoyed me as I thought such a long standing character deserved better than that.

Prowl continues to grow in arrogance - a far more interesting character than Thundercracker at the moment

I like both Prowl and Thundercracker for different reasons, but I especially like Thundercracker because IDW is now finally, after almost 30 years, portraying Thundercracker in a manner that is accurate to his original 1984 bio! It ends a nearly 3 decade long drought where Thundercracker had so much potential to be an interesting character (as a morally conflicted Decepticon), but it had just never been exploited by TF writers before. I made a joke about this once in a photocomic that I made 10 years ago.

I like Prowl too. It's pretty cool to have morally dubious Autobots like him and Whirl in the story, but let's face it, IDW Prowl is nothing like how G1 Prowl was originally described in his G1 bio. IMO it's easy to take a character, effectively disregard its original specs, and then scratch-make a new character out of it; but it's more challenging and satisfying to see a cool character created from being faithful to the source material. Or when writers switch bios around, like how IDW Swerve's persona is arguably more similar to G1 Hubcap than G1 Swerve (although IDW Swerve isn't quite as deceitful as Hubcap, and he can be unfocused like G1 Swerve ).

#33 is back on track, by which I mean it is the best issue of RiD so far. It's unashamedly a toy tie-in in the best eighties-Furmany way, and a character who's been out of action for a couple of years is befuddled to have reawoken in this bizarrely random universe of Generations figures. There are some nice character bits, even though in part this is a setup for the upcoming big toy/comic tie-in (and explains at least one thing that half the toy fandom was whining about in a truly endearing way.) And Stone's art is rad. Hopefully this is the way of things to come in this title, and judging from the cover of next issue, yet another random toy is on his way - it will be interesting to see if he's his usual self, or has dark designs as RiD Tankor #3.

So, who'd have thought it would be Screamer who can see the threat a long way off and be able to pull everything needed together to start a pre-emotive response.

This was very well written, although I am still not used to the manner of Wheeljacks speech, but that's more due to me hearing his G1 voice when I read him than anything else.

I wonder if a prowl has set up this "insider" like he did with Soundwave, to try and scare Starscream? It seems both are playing a long game, and whilst I know a Starscream only truly cares about being in power, hearing him talking about never letting Cybertron fall is awesome. The characters in other prominent positions will set up some good plays later on. Also interesting that Windblade comes across as a smarter, more decisive and compassionate character than she did in her own mini. Is it the writing, or growth / learning from her character?

As Skyshadow said, the art is brilliant, I know some dislike the style and the eyes can be a little weird with pupils, but the style and colouring is top notch.

Easily one of the best RiD issues, and no surprise since it is a Wheeljacks based issue and those have always been Barber's most cohesive and fluent issues.

I know it is a set up issue, getting pieces in place for the upcoming event but it was a good lengthy read, lead by character interactions, with information drip fed and plenty of foreshadowing.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Great issue for reasons aforementioned by others. Found some grammatical and typographical errors; I hope that IDW will correct these for the TPB. (-_-)

Just read today's issue. I'm not sure what's going on with Prowl, any suggestions?

Otherwise it seems like a pretty standard 'shoe-horn plot points and coincidences into everyone's backstory' kind of issue. Hopefully Rhinox shows up again.

Now if Prime tells Prowl, there'll be no worries, if Alpha talks him out of it, I can see Prowl using it as a flimsy excuse to do what he wants to do.

Prowl has the potential to be the most interesting TF character in ages (not that he already wasn't). Great setup issue, and I loved Livio's work more than I did in Primacy. He is one busy boy.

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    Now if Prime tells Prowl, there'll be no worries, if Alpha talks him out of it, I can see Prowl using it as a flimsy excuse to do what he wants to do.

Prowl has the potential to be the most interesting TF character in ages (not that he already wasn't). Great setup issue, and I loved Livio's work more than I did in Primacy. He is one busy boy.
    I can see him potentially being the antithesis of MTMTE's Megatron. Prowl seems like he could eventually adopt a 'peace through tyranny' approach. He believes he knows best, he's smart, headstrong and willing to disregard superiors to achieve his objectives.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
    Just read today's issue. I'm not sure what's going on with Prowl, any suggestions?
    He's an evil sod with no moral compass? Even Prowl knows this when he spoke about how nobody noticed any difference in him when he was under Bombshell's control.

I do like how the IDW comics are blurring the lines between good and evil between Autobots and Decepticons -- i.e. portraying the Autobots and Decepticons are merely political factions and not "races" where members are somehow 'genetically disposed' towards moral conduct. We have morally inconsiderate Autobots like Prowl and Whirl, and more morally considerate Decepticons like Cyclonus and Thundercracker (and arguably Megatron too). Now if only they'd do away with the whole blue-eye/red-eye thing... or maybe keeping it can also make its own point as well; that we can have evil blue-eyed Autobots and good red-eyed Decepticons. <shrugs>

Hrmmm, a good setup issue with two really annoying characters featuring, yet not bothering me as much as I ever would have thought.

Lots of pieces being moved, good to have two big players that we have seen a whole lot go for a bit, leaving things open for business as it were. Cosmos continues to grow brighter with excellent writing and Sideswipe and Kup get a few good lines each. I enjoy Skylynx more and more too.

Spoilers (a bit) but Prowl seems to have someone in his noggin'. I'm thinking it has something to do with Devestator or the hive mind trying to integrate with him. Not sure if it means that the Constructicons are influencing him/controlling him, or Prowl is holding them at bay or if Prowl is playing or using them to further his needs and is trying to look like he isn't in control.

I am hoping that the next month or so of issues results in the squishing of the younger Witwicky, seeing more of Jimmy Pink and getting some Devestator vs. Galvatron fights.

Also more table flipping.