Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Comic Review: Transformers Spotlights (2012 - 2013)

Hate to take over the thread, but this is funny:

Creator commentary.

Roche writes as the writer and artist.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

A couple of things in that commentary stand out more now in light of the Toyfair announcements:

IDW and Hasbro were looking for a Megatron SPOTLIGHT to feature the same body that the character currently sports in the TRANSFORMERS: ROBOTS IN DISGUISE ongoing series.
    ...Because they were making this series of Spotlights specifically to go with the new toys.

... there is some Editorially-mandated content. The through-line between this current batch of Spotlights is a connection to Metroplex and the Space Bridge technology he possesses.
    And the reason all the Spotlights have some connection to Metroplex is because that's the huge toy they want to sell. (They probably could reprint Spotlight Metroplex with that toy too.)

I'm glad to read there's been some good tales too in this lot, but clearly Hasbro is having a bit more to say in the IDW patch at the moment.Of course if any other Spotlight is announced we'll be expecting a toy.

Bumblebee is an odd Spotlight.

Art is not great, and inconsistent with the ongoing anyway. Prowl is nigh unidentifiable, the protectobots and other backing characters are very blurry/ill formed in most panels. I know art is not the be all and end all of an issue, but to be so jarring made it harder to get into this slow issue.

Lots of Thundercracker again, I must say I am getting tired of him, he could be used to a much greater purpose, he is truly becoming a one trick pony.

It's a decent hole filling catch up story that helps to explain (again) the holes and weirdness that was Chaos. Still no more clues on how Megatron got the technology, but it explains how the Cons got back to Cybertron from Earth.

Im not sold on this comic, it is far from good, but it does an okay job of being some back filler.

So far the return of these spotlights has been underwhelming, here is hoping that Trailbreakers can break out of the rut. Since it ties into MtMtE, it has a better chance than any! It is sad that Costa and Chaos did such a terrible job that at least 3 extra comics had to be made to help clear up the confusion... seems almost like a trend for IDW books until the last creative shakeup.

-edit-
    And why is half of Omega still on earth? Did he not have to transform to get into rocket mode to return to Cybertron?

Well, on the bright side, it looks like I won't have to buy Spotlight TC afterall, as he comes with his upcoming Generations Spotlight (FOC mould) toy. Hope he's a sky blue kind of colour. The comic would make an excellent backdrop.

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    Bumblebee is an odd Spotlight.

Art is not great, and inconsistent with the ongoing anyway. Prowl is nigh unidentifiable, the protectobots and other backing characters are very blurry/ill formed in most panels.
    I didn't like the art in this either. And it really bugs me when they just make all the characters the same height (like in ReGeneration with Rumble as tall as everyone else). I mean Hot Spot turns into a Fire Truck and Groove into a police motorcycle - why the hell are they pretty much the same size!? I always find that lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    Well, on the bright side, it looks like I won't have to buy Spotlight TC afterall, as he comes with his upcoming Generations Spotlight (FOC mould) toy.
    I considered not buying the spotlights because they will come with the toys but just couldn't wait that long . Haven't really enjoyed the Thundercracker or Bumblebee ones - but LOVED the Megatron one, it was an awesome read!

Spotlight Trailcutter preview.

This is the light hearted issue for MtMtE I think we need. From the preview it is awhile bag of laughs, cutting off just before the meaty stuff begins. Some funny gags in this one.

Seems like it is continuing the trend of recent spotlights to almost have 2 main protagonists, Whirl gets more lines than Trailbreaker in the preview pages.

Not sure how it ties into the other 3 and their relationship with Metroplex and the Titans. However that hook on one of the covers sure does make me think we are going to get a MtMtE version of Lockdown!

Ha good ol tailgate. I never put any thought into it before but his comment Your all heads I realized all the standard Autobot headmaster names refer to heads hardHEAD BRAINstorm HighBROW chromeDOME......
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

I read the reviews on Bad Haven and other places and I'm pumped for this one. The humour with Whirl is fantastic, he's very awesome. (SPOILERS) I know from a review there are links to the Metrotitan's in there and a link to Spotlight: Hoist apparently.
    Twit and insta @lukeabarnett

For some reason phantomzone parramatta said this weeks shipment will only be in on Friday, so you may want to ring your local beforehand if you make special trips in to your local store. Guessing the public holidays may have something to do with it.

Yeah I saw that for parra as well.
    Twit and insta @lukeabarnett