Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Hasbro bans KOs & 3rd party goods at Botcon

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    Ironhides pegwarmed at David Jones and Magnus/Skywarps shelfwarmed Target. UM/S started at $45 but went on sale and it still took them a good while to sell even though it was a Voyager with a free Deluxe. In the US, Magnus/Skywarps shelfwarmed clearance shelves at $8-$13. They may sell now; they didn't at the time.

Ratchets would definitely sell if rereleased.
    That is interessting for a noob like me. I do remember seeing Ironhide in a Kmart somewhere & thinking to myself "thats not f**king Ironhide" being that I grew up on G1 & the cartoon. I did not collect at the time or anything but I wish I had grabbed every last one of them now!

I think 3rd party products have a place & it is up to the induvidual if they wish to buy them or not. I have no overriding loyalty to Hasbro but obviously I prefer to buy their product if available. My loyalty is to making my collection the best representation of the 84-86 Transformers I can so that it pleases me.

On the subject of 3rd party vendors at Botcon I completely understand Hasbros stance. It would be nice if they worked together to make the fans experience of their products as complete as it can be but that is wishful thinking at best .

I may be wrong in my assumption but a 3rd party product enhances a existing Hasbro line or figure & a KO is a straight rip off of a already released product?

Quote Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
    I may be wrong in my assumption but a 3rd party product enhances a existing Hasbro line or figure & a KO is a straight rip off of a already released product?
    'Third party' toys also include toys that are ripoffs of characters but not moulds and don't enhance a HasTakTom product, for example - making toys that are clearly meant to be Devastator, Reflector, Springer etc.

(posts about committing fraud and bragging about it, removed, as per board rules)

Yeah, I remember seeing Ultra Magnus, Skywarp and Ironhide shelf/peg warming. But I think Skywarp would've sold better if he were on his own and not in a 2 pack with Ultra Magnus. I bought Ultra Magnus purely because I wanted Skywarp. I kept skipping the set and erming and aahing about it, then I finally caved and got it at Target (can't remember if it was on sale or not) - just cos I wanted Skywarp!

Ironhide might have sold better if he'd been released more widely other than just DJs. Ratchet never even came out here did he? I certainly never saw him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ode to a Grasshopper View Post
    CC wasn't exactly cheap either, but it still sold pretty well.
    There's a market for pricey-yet-superior adult collectible TFs out there if HasTak wants to pursue it. It's not the mass-market angle they're going for atm, sure, but it's there and 'the fans' have shown they're not averse to large purchases - there's a nice fancy MP10 accompanied by a Night Ops PE Not-Reflector currently overlooking my bedroom to prove it.
    Yeah but MP-10 is an expensive collector-centric action figure, not an accessory. We've never seen either Hasbro or Takara(TOMY) create just an accessory for a Transformer. Also, remember that Classicsverse isn't part of the "high end" collectible range, they're regular Transformers which means the primary target market is children. That's why Megatron is a Nerf Maverick and not a Walther P38 like the adult-oriented reissues and Masterpiece.

Hasbro would be more inclined to release Ultra Magnus with a trailer rather than just a separate trailer. But this would be really big and expensive. A more viable alternative is to take a smaller Optimus Prime mould (like say Legends Reveal The Shield Optimus Prime; or possibly the Deluxe mould if they're feeling ambitious), repaint that and then design a new trailer-armour for it. Designing a trailer-armour for an existing Optimus Prime mould instead of creating a whole new cab-robot design would be cheaper. Besides, we know that any new cab-robot would be simplified at the expense of the trailer-armour... also... I don't trust Hasbro to make a trailer-armour that itself isn't simplified at the expense of some useless electronic light and sound gimmick.

I do agree. My comment was more a dig at how a 3rd party product can completeley change Hasbro figure for the better. Hasbro loves a repaint & the city commander made UM many many times better in my eyes.
    Yeah but that's cos repaints and cheap and easy to do. The toy may have shelf warmed, which isn't as bad a loss for Hasbro compared to if they'd engineered a new accessory for the and it shelf warmed (like say with Ultimate Optimus Prime and Jetwing Optimus Prime - which is still shelfwarming even though Target's massively slashed its price! ).

Then again the only good thing UM ever did (to me at least) was get destroyed by the mightly Galvatron the 86 movie .
    It's true that Ultra Magnus did spend a LOT of his time in G1 getting repeatedly whooped by Galvatron... but Galvatron was portrayed as a demi-god, and Ultra Magnus did pretty well fighting up such an impossible opponent. Even Fortress Maximus struggled to defeat Galvatron.

I saw Ratchet and bought mine from Kmart, Gok. Our local one. It was the only one there..... on the other hand I didn't see a shelfwarming UM/Skywarp 2 pack... I had to trek all the way to Burwood just so i could get 1.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Ah right. I got my Ultra Magnus/Skywarp from Parramatta Target.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Ah right. I got my Ultra Magnus/Skywarp from Parramatta Target.
    The place that I saw the Magnus/Skywarp pack last after it had sold out from everywhere else was Uncle Pete's in Roselands but that is only because they were charging something ridiculous for it.

Something that did shelf warm for much longer was the G2 Megatron and deluxe Classics Prime pack that came with that Cybertron DVD.

The more i think about it the more i realize that this is a really good business move by Hasbro & Botcon. The number of people who bring their expendable funds to Botcon to spend on whatever, including KO's or 3/P stuff, will no longer have the latter option. Like it or not. And that money will be directed at other dealers of official merch (and mini-bars of hotel rooms).

Whether we agree with the move they're making or not won't see any defectors from the event.
    Even more subjectively, I'm on the record as being OK with some 3/P goodies but eh, if i were going to Botcon, and found out that all non-Has/Tak s#i7 wasn't gonna be there, I wouldn't skip a beat.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    (posts about committing fraud and bragging about it, removed, as per board rules)
    word

Good point. As an officially sanctioned Transformers convention then it should be about promoting the officially sanctioned brand/franchise and products.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Good point. As an officially sanctioned Transformers convention then it should be about promoting the officially sanctioned brand/franchise and products.
    Indeed. They have every right to do what they did.