Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BotCon report finally finished

The read makes me feel like I am at botcon. Now to convince my wife I need to go too!! Thanks griffin!

Thumbs up

Now that is a report. I'm gonna need a week to read it all Here's to you, boss

Thanks Griff, dealer room as always looks great. The japanese seller must of had a few big ticket items to make it worth his while. If I ever went to botcon im pretty sure I would spend most of my time here.

The IDW pack-in comics are a clever move on Hasbro's part.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Just looking at the pictures of the Dealer room makes me want to spend money. The compulsion is even worse when you're actually there.
    I don't know what you're talking about?!

The trick was trying to figure out how to get it all home.

I really look forward to reading your repot Griffin, thanks for putting it together again.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Can you give us a few examples on the different psychological demographic between us TF fans and the GIJoe fans? just curious.

GIJoe is more based around real military equipment, weaponry and concepts... even when it has occasionally strayed into sci-fi (space, aliens & TFs) and fantasy (some of the more mystical ninja elements).
    The original 12-inch toyline was purely a military toyline, and most of the smaller action-figure series toys include realistic military vehicles and accessories.
    As such, the demographic is more mature and serious about their concepts, characters and stories.

Transformers on the other hand is more Sci-fi & Fantasy, which we don't take that seriously... we generally take to it in a more child-like manner, immersing ourselves in the fiction elements more than the factual ones.
    As such, the inconsistencies and contradictions are less important to us, because the easy enjoyment of the toys and the story is more fulfilling than trying to make sense of flaws (that aren't based on anything in reality to begin with, so can be difficult to explain).

This is why a joint convention wouldn't really work, as Transformers fans are more carefree and willing to leave behind their maturity for the weekend, while GIJoe fans would be more grounded in the rationality behind their Universe.

(from what I've observed at least)

Thanks again for the annual write up griffin, I read 99% of it yesterday while i was pretty sick - it reeeaally helped pass the time.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

I really enjoyed reading the report, and as always you have some important details that either weren't widely reported or that I somehow missed with the glut of pictures.

I noticed in your club writeup, you mentioned that it was likely we'd see the rest of the machine wars toys (eg megatron) at some point. It wasn't clear though whether you were talking about in toy form (have they abandoned shattered glass?) or whether they will be making more appreances in the comic. Did you get the impression it as further club exclusive toys?
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post
    (have they abandoned shattered glass?)
    ha ha ha! perish the thought good sir. We haven't yet seen the likes of Machine Wars Shattered Glass. Coming to Botcon 2014.