Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BotCon report finally finished

Hey griffin, Orlando Day 2 pictures are not working for me.
    Just me or ?

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    GIJoe is more based around real military equipment, weaponry and concepts... even when it has occasionally strayed into sci-fi (space, aliens & TFs) and fantasy (some of the more mystical ninja elements).
    The original 12-inch toyline was purely a military toyline, and most of the smaller action-figure series toys include realistic military vehicles and accessories.
    As such, the demographic is more mature and serious about their concepts, characters and stories.

Transformers on the other hand is more Sci-fi & Fantasy, which we don't take that seriously... we generally take to it in a more child-like manner, immersing ourselves in the fiction elements more than the factual ones.
    As such, the inconsistencies and contradictions are less important to us, because the easy enjoyment of the toys and the story is more fulfilling than trying to make sense of flaws (that aren't based on anything in reality to begin with, so can be difficult to explain).

This is why a joint convention wouldn't really work, as Transformers fans are more carefree and willing to leave behind their maturity for the weekend, while GIJoe fans would be more grounded in the rationality behind their Universe.

(from what I've observed at least)

Great answer thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
    Hey griffin, Orlando Day 2 pictures are not working for me.
    Just me or ?
    Same here. Only the first map image loaded successfully.

Fixed up.
    The images mustn't have gone through to the server with the page itself.

Let me know if any other images are not showing up.

I only have one day left to do.

Thanks Grif, really appreciated all the hard work.

Finished now. (a couple of minor edits still to do, but 99% of it is there now)

Default Rock Your BOT-y Right

Great write-up, Griffin. Though one part of your report struck me in particular:

"Video 3 had more general support from the audience, but since the creators of Video 2 screamed out loud when each one was polled, it managed to get third prize. Which was a shame, because even though Video 3 was incomplete, it had more effort put into it than random silent cartoon scenes done to music."

Maybe somebody should have entered THIS and see how it went down.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    We haven't yet seen the likes of Machine Wars Shattered Glass.
    That's already a thing. If the pack-in comic was any indication, characters such as Sandstorm, Hubcap and Prowl already are Shattered Glass versions of their Machine Wars selves.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Agnew View Post
    Great write-up, Griffin. Though one part of your report struck me in particular:

"Video 3 had more general support from the audience, but since the creators of Video 2 screamed out loud when each one was polled, it managed to get third prize. Which was a shame, because even though Video 3 was incomplete, it had more effort put into it than random silent cartoon scenes done to music."

Maybe somebody should have entered THIS and see how it went down.
    At least that music video involved someone creating the animation and timing it to that song.... the video at botcon was just random music to random cartoon clips that had no meaning or message to it.

(personally, I think their main prize element of "show dollars" is a total cop-out for FunPub, because it only leaves people with the half day on Sunday to find something still worth buying, and I rarely see those creative people buying anything in the dealer room... as "show dollars" are only a voucher for usage in the dealer room, and FunPub pays the dealer back - the only way you'd make money from it is if you were a dealer, or were friends with one to get actual prize money from FunPub)

Finally did up the pre-convention timeline page, that just covers the announcements and my own travel plans before departure... so isn't anything special, but means the entire report is now completely complete.