View Poll Results: TF3 : DotM - worth watching?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • excellent, must see

50 43.86%
  • good, see if you can

35 30.70%
  • average

22 19.30%
  • disappointing, avoid it

7 6.14%
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 123456781323 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Review - Transformers 3 : Dark of the Moon (spoilers)

Quote Originally Posted by KillinSpoon View Post
    You're just jealous that your makeup can't stay THAT good even though you've been through the middle of a warzone...

Also, laserbeak transforms from a painting? Wait... what?
    Granted, a couple of LB's transformations were kinda silly.

And it was quite an achievement on my part not to leave the screening with my mascara running down my cheeks . . . so definately no jealousy there!

Spoilers......

Alright, had some sleep now, and some time to think, Soooooo my verdict.... well overall I wasn't disappointed, but maybe that's because ROTF lowered my expectations and we have a Revenge of the Sith effect, where it feels like this movie is good because it's a little better than the first one. of course lets not kid ourselves its still a brain dead action flick like everything else Bay has ever made.

So I liked that the robots seemed to play a bigger part in this movie, only one Decep got taken down solely by humans and even then it was the main character human with TF weapons, unlike others I wasn't particularly bothered by Sam beating Starscream, Starscream chased him for the last two movies seemed fitting in a Hollywood sense he'd get his own back.

I liked that the Decepticons were actually brutal invading aliens this time wiping out innocent humans, something only alluded to in all other TF media. At least we had reason to cheer the Autobots brutal combat with the Decepticons, unlike last time where they didn't appear as evil.

I managed to follow the plot a bit better this time than in ROTF, but there were still many quick cuts, and weird time lapses that boggle the mind (or was it because it was so late, but Carly seemed to be at that party for a few days???). I also liked that some plot elements reminded me of the toon, although at the same time it was as simplistic as the toon.

I liked that you finally had most of the big names in Decepticon town in the one movie, like others I wish that Shockwave had done more, but there are so many characters so little time, at least it took the combined efforts of humans, Autobots and Prime to fell him. I also like the way the Decepticons appeared to communicate between each other in their native tongue.

I liked that we got a chase scene again, considering transformers so often turn into cars. Bumblebee Transforming and catching Sam, that did actually impress me on the action stakes.

I really liked that I was surprised twice by the movie, once with Sentinel and then again with the goal of their plan.

And I really really really liked that we went a whole TF movie without a joke about bodily functions, giant dildo TF's, wrecking Balls or Bumblebee urinating on people.

And then on the flip side.

I dislike the cutting, the movie jumped around a little to much in some parts, I had trouble figuring out where we were, it could be because it was late though.

The ending was just a little too neat, like a Doctor Who ending, destroying that one little pillar thing seemed to banish Cybertron and all the Decepticons in to some black hole thingy and save the world from being overrun. I guess it's no worse than the matrix, but still......

Yes I agree with the others on Michael Bays inability to actually cast decent female actresses and treat them as anything more than eye candy. I found Rose whatshername less annoying than Megan Fox, but still jeez...

And then there are the other things, like all the usual bay follies, but I guess I built up an immunity to some of them.

As usual there was no real character development (as I'd expect from Bay). Given it was the fate of the Transformers race being fought for, I would have liked to see some soul searching from Prime, or some regret, but no he is in full protect the humans Autobot Jesus mode the whole way through, sigh missed opportunity again.

It bugs me a bit that Autobots seem to turn up on time exactly when they are needed, hardly a surprise but it seemed to convenient considering they were wholly incapable of turning up on time to save Optimus in ROTF.

This movie doesn't gel all that well with ROTF given that 4 Autobot characters are absent from the film (I would presume dead) On the other hand is that may be a good thing or a bad thing I'm not sure, very glad two of those characters are gone.

So would I recommend it, well if you weren't a big fan of the first one and absolutely hated ROTF then no. I however you liked the first one and could bare watching ROTF then yes, I far prefer this to the previous film, but onlt because it corrected some of the massive issues I had with the last film.

At the end of the day though it's still a brain dead alien invasion flick like so many others, but it has Transformers so I like it more than I should.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    Back from the Perth midnight screening.

I didn't quite follow the ending - it was/is 3am but why did Prime randomly off Megatron? This caught me slightly off guard as in all the adaptations he made peace after finishing Sentinel Prime, whereas in the movie he basically randomly killed him after Megatron helped him.
    Cause Michael Bay wanted to go out with a bang and burn his bridges? (kinda like he was saying this is my TFverse, if you want to make another one do it from scratch) That's what I think anyway. I agree with you though, I thought it would make more sense if Megs got sucked up into the giant space whirlpool.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post

+ Wheelie and Brains were pretty cool. So... they survived, right?
    I thought they died, at least from their comments, I wish the same thing had happened in the animated film.

But maybe the Transformers are particularly sensitive to pain in their optic sensors?? Although we've seen Transformers with half their faces smashed off who keep battling on... maybe Starscream's just a beeotch.
    Bayverse Starscream is a beeotch, he's not as arrogant as his predecessor and more of a yesman, I figured he would have an ignominious death some day

Heheh, that's what I thought too... but I guess she must've hit a nerve and for a moment he had enough respect for this "insect" to have pointed this out to him that he decided to spare her life - probably because he was more concerned with getting Sentinel. Besides, if his plan succeeded, she would've been one more slave for him to use.
    )
    Or maybe it was cause of brain damage from the freaking hole in his head, or the spiderbots crawling around in it.

As an aside I really dug Megs look, That toy is soo bought by me when the Big W sale starts.

How do you know he was already a fire engine? He never transformed until after he was revived on Earth. NEST probably gave him a fire engine to scan (like they did with the twins in ROTF).
    An epic review of the reviews, Goktimus!

RE: SP - I may be corrected on this, but I recall noting that when OP picked him up in the ark, he already had the colouring and parts of the fire engine - those triangular windows most notable. Anybody else notice? To have windowscreens on him wouldn't be keeping with the first movie's aesthetic of their original forms. But, then again, the issue of continuity is nothing new.

bowspearer Guest

I reached the conclusion a long time ago that what was missing from the LAMs in terms of their substance was a shot of Michael Bay popping up on screen every single time there was an explosion:

With the mouth and eyes animated Robot Chicken style and
    this dubbed in via ADR.

It wasn't terrible. It was lightyears better than ROTF. I mean, it's Michael Bay film so I'm not expecting Shakespeare. I enjoyed thoroughly and will probabaly see it again.
    Also Meisterrob do I really have to call myself a "Gayformer"? I'm putting out "Friend Of Arcee" as a much better descriptive term...

One thing I want to add was, where was Silverbolt? I just realised James Avery was due to give his voice for him, but I can't recall seeing/hearing him. Could be that his scenes were deleted, but I'm just curious to see if anyone else noticed him absent.

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    One thing I want to add was, where was Silverbolt? I just realised James Avery was due to give his voice for him, but I can't recall seeing/hearing him. Could be that his scenes were deleted, but I'm just curious to see if anyone else noticed him absent.
    Yes, that's an good point. Whatever did happen to this "Silverbolt" character? Was he changed to Que/Wheeljack?

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    Apparently it was a place card for Sentinel Prime in the DOTM video games. So look for him there.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

My vile hatred for ROTF is well noted, disgusting film. DotM was the sequel we should have got. It's far from perfect, but turned out much better than expected.

Pro's
    -Wheelie continues to endear himself to me at every turn, love that little bastard. Hope he lived.
    -Soundwave having a much larger role was nice.
    -Loved Laserbeak.
    -Wreckers (mostly Leadfoot) Were a nice addition to the movie, was expecting "hi & die" (Wreckers that didn't die!?)
    -Barricade's cameo.
    -Less jump cutty fights (probably due to 3D not working as well with erratic images)
    -Ironhide's death, not that I wanted him to die, but it caught me off guard and actually shocked me, I did not expect to care about a death in this film, but I did, well done.

Con's
    -Random bots with no point (Igor and Megatron's "babies") Don't want them exorcised from the film, just wished they had a point.
    -Megatron being largely irrelevant to the film as a whole, his death felt rushed.
    -Brains just being there, seems more odd than other new 'bots since he was living with Sam at the beginning.
    -No Steeljaw
    -Ferrari Demanding the Dino name

Random Thoughts
    -Ahh Shockwave, disappointing to so many, I was expecting him to be characterless cannon fodder but would have been disappointing if I expected anything else, so I empathise.
    -No Silverbolt, I was expecting him a no show, but was still a tad disappoint.
    -Hmm Dino didn't have a weaponised mode, me thinks corporate red tape.
    -Where to from here? Sequel? Reboot?
    -I swear I saw the Twins making up the rear of the convoy as it first enters the hanger/base, where's mah money Bay!? :P

Final thoughts
    Pleasantly surprised!

3.5 Faces out of 5
    (TF1 4/5)
    (RoTF 1/5)

Awesome seeing it with REAL fans this time!

Quote Originally Posted by MeisterROB75 View Post
    Hi all. I rarely post on here but like all of you I'm an avid TF fan. So, after just seeing DOTM at the melb central midnight screening I thought I'd start this thread for those of us who need to vent their slight dissapointment or near psychotic rage over the F@$%^D UP MESS THAT IS DOTM!!!

Now, I didn't want to listen those naysayers out there (and certainly didn't want to be one of them) who I've told myself were just Bay haters or wouldn't allow themselves to appreciate a fantastical SFX extravaganza such as what I figured DOTM would be. I was willing to look past those Bay staples: the lingering shots of the bimbo (especially annoying for gayformers like myself!), the lack of character development, the poor narrative, the lame humour (which I actually don't mind, I must say!) and just enjoy the show. But, as a fan of TF from way back, I'm afraid I can't appreciate this film for being just that when it involves such an inconsistent and incongruous narrative and the character assasination of our beloved bots and cons. For example, Rosie Huntington-Bimbo chides Megs like he's a snotty little kid and he doesn't crush her like the bimbo bug that she is? C'MON!! Sentinel is already a Rosenbauer when he's been on the moon for 50 years? And my heart just about shot out through my ass when I learned the Dino was Dino and Q was Q. EEERGGHHHH!!! It was pretty down hill from there for me.

Those are just minor examples as I don't want to include 'spoilers' for those who haven't seen it yet and may read this. IMO, at the end of the day, DOTM does suffer from the same inadequacies as ROTF did.

I'm sure many of you will enjoy this for just what it is - a SFX blockbuster and as that it is fine. Your enjoyment can only be facilitated by not having to sit between constantly fidgetting, commentating, popcorn feed masticiating mammals and a lack of concern for how TF is interpreted by Bay.

One positive: laserbeak was pretty cool.

Hope you can enjoy DOTM more than I did!

Since my expectations and care-factor were rock bottom, I enjoyed the film overall. But I do have my irks.

CONS
    -The continual emasculation of Megs as a character.
    -Zero character development for Starscream and Shockwave, but yet quite a bit screen time is devoted to their fates, especially compared to the fate of Megatron and Sentinel.
    -Anti-climactic ultimate showdown between Prime & Prime & Megs
    -Spending too much time sliding across floors of a building which seemingly defies the laws of physics.
    -Wtf is with that matrix
    -Patrick Dempsey's character being overbearingly loyal to the Cons cause despite the elimination of their primary leverage over him.
    -The fact that Prime (and to a degree other Autobots) get to live on due to the mercy/carelessness of others but he achieves victory by being brutal and mercilessly decisive. This ones just a personal irk of mine regarding characterization.

PROS
    -Laserbeak upholding a reputation for being the most competent Con ever.
    -I thought the first half of the film was actually pretty good theatre. Revealing the conspiracy, Sam's personal issues/woes, Sentinel plot twist etc, etc.
    - Nice special effects
    - Decent comic relief
    - Ken Jeong & John Malkovich were hilarious. Numerous other appearances by lesser-known actors whom I love.