View Poll Results: Which is your favourite?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Airazor

4 15.38%
  • Armordillo

0 0%
  • Claw Jaw

1 3.85%
  • Drill Bit

0 0%
  • Iguanus

1 3.85%
  • Insecticon

2 7.69%
  • Lazorbeak

2 7.69%
  • Powerpinch

0 0%
  • Rattrap

6 23.08%
  • Razorbeast

3 11.54%
  • Razorclaw

2 7.69%
  • Snapper

1 3.85%
  • Snarl

1 3.85%
  • Spittor

0 0%
  • Terrorsaur

3 11.54%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is your favourite Basic Beast Wars Transformer?

Default Who is your favourite Basic Beast Wars Transformer?

This poll is just looking at the pre-1998 Basics, Basics from 1998 onwards will be dealt with separately when we look at Transmetals, Transmetal 2s and Fuzors (so calm your farms). Due to poll size limitations, I've not included any BotCon exclusive Basics, so if that happens to your favourite then you'll need to 'manually' vote for them via a direct post.

Also, we're just looking at who was your favourite Beast Wars toy at the time that these toys were current - for many of us G1ers it'd be our adolescence or early adulthood rather than childhood, but for our younger members these may very well be your childhood favourites - but whichever is the case, please vote according to what was (and may still be) your favourite, not necessarily what is your favourite now.

My favourite then is the same as now -- Terrorsaur. The sculpting on that toy is just beautiful and I love how the wings majestically form up on the back of the robot. I also like how the purple helmet and hands offsets the red on the rest of the toy, which I've always felt was something lost in the show model (which I think is based on an earlier prototype of Terrorsaur). I also really like the design of the gun and how it neatly stows away behind the robot head in beast mode. Just a gorgeous toy that's so much fun to play with.

And of course, 9 points of ball-socket articulation on these simple and cheap flipchangers puts all contemporary One Step Changers to shame. Interesting to see that toys released in 1996 are still massively outclassing current day toys. If you take any of these toys and place them next to an AoE or RiD One Stepper, it's abundantly apparent that there's no competition. Take a toy like Terrorsaur and place him next to say One Step Changer Thunderhoof. Even adjusting for inflation, Terrorsaur still works out to be a cheaper toy, representing absolutely superior value for money.

Rattrap: "We're all gonna die"
    Everyone else: "Shut up Rattrap!"
    WANTED BOTS: G1: Horri-bull, Snarler, Mainframe, Chop Shop, Ransack CHUG: Spin Out, Cordon, Brotropolis Rescue MASTERPIECE: Acid Storm
    ENERGON: Six Shot

Had to go with Rattrap. Terrorsaur is a close second

Who are you calling basic?

My vote is rattrap because he's the only one I have
    I'll update this when I'm needing help finding particular figures

no favourites, I've never even handled a Beast wars basic toy.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    no favourites, I've never even handled a Beast wars basic toy.
    ^This

Let's compare...

Thunderhoof (One Step Changer)
    Cost: $19
    Articulation: 2 points - the shoulders swing up and down. About as articulated as a 1985 Jumpstarter
    Gimmick: Transforms in 1 step
    Accessories: None

Terrorsaur (Basic Flipchanger)
    Cost: $15 ※Adjusted for current day pricing
    Articulation: 9 points - head, shoulders, elbows, knees and hips on ball-socket joints and ankles on swivel joints
    Gimmick: Transforms in 1 step, weapon folds and stows away in alt mode
    Accessories: Pistol

And this is why I'm rather uninspired by RiD. I don't mind the Legion Class figures, but none of the larger figures have particularly impressed me. I managed to collect RiD One Step Changers and Warrior Class figures for free because I did translation work for a friend (so he "paid" me in toys ), but I can't justify actually parting with my money for these toys. On the other hand, I went nuts collecting Beast Wars when they came out -- which was harder on the wallet because I was still a student at the time. There was much eating of instant curries.

To quote Verno

Quote Originally Posted by Verno
    10 RATTRAP
    We’re all gonna die.

11 RHINOX
    Yep.

A reminder that this poll is purely based on one's opinion of the toys with no regard to the character. It's definitely possible to have different opinions on a toy and character.
    e.g. I think that Titans Return Wheelie is a great toy, but this doesn't change my low opinion of G1 (cartoon) Wheelie. Conversely people may really like the character of G1 Ratchet but may not be a great fan of the original G1 toy. If you happen to like both the toy and the character then that's a bonus, but please ensure that you are voting only according to your opinion of the toy.

Thanks.

I voted for Airazor who does a lot of the things Terrorsaur does but with more articulation (bendable and flappable wings) and no spring-loaded one step transformation