View Poll Results: Which is your favourite?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Airazor

4 15.38%
  • Armordillo

0 0%
  • Claw Jaw

1 3.85%
  • Drill Bit

0 0%
  • Iguanus

1 3.85%
  • Insecticon

2 7.69%
  • Lazorbeak

2 7.69%
  • Powerpinch

0 0%
  • Rattrap

6 23.08%
  • Razorbeast

3 11.54%
  • Razorclaw

2 7.69%
  • Snapper

1 3.85%
  • Snarl

1 3.85%
  • Spittor

0 0%
  • Terrorsaur

3 11.54%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is your favourite Basic Beast Wars Transformer?

Voted Airazor because I was never a massive fan of flip changers so she ticked all the boxes. That said, I really loved Croc Megatron! Remember buying him from a bloke at the Sabretron convention when I was in High School. Good times

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    A reminder that this poll is purely based on one's opinion of the toys with no regard to the character. It's definitely possible to have different opinions on a toy and character.
    e.g. I think that Titans Return Wheelie is a great toy, but this doesn't change my low opinion of G1 (cartoon) Wheelie. Conversely people may really like the character of G1 Ratchet but may not be a great fan of the original G1 toy. If you happen to like both the toy and the character then that's a bonus, but please ensure that you are voting only according to your opinion of the toy.

Thanks.
    Yes, but if you were a child who grew up with Beast Wars on TV, rather than G1, your memories of the toy are going to be intrinsically tied to the character, rather than it's engineering or sculpting.

Just as it would be valid for G1 kids to love the Bumblebee toy over the Beachcomber toy because Bumblebee ended up being the human interaction character, despite Beachcomber being a much more proportional and recognisable (in human terms) robot.

I didnt know BW basics were automorph until i got my first one 6mths ago (Botcon 96 Onyx Primal bat).
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

Seraphim Prime: a person's (even a child's) opinion of a toy can easily differ from their opinion of the character. According to the Mini-Cars poll, 13.95% of respondents have voted for Beachcomber as their favourite Mini-Car; equal second alongside Warpath with Seaspray at the #1 spot with 18.6% of votes! Beachcomber was definitely my favourite Mini-Car as a kid, even though I preferred Bumblebee as a character. Many kids in the 80s probably preferred Ironhide and Ratchet as characters than toys.

Deonasis: Took ya long enough! Not all BW Basics are Flipchangers though. It's just Armourdillo, Iguanus, Lazorbeak, Megatron, Optimus Primal, Rattrap, Razorbeast, Snapper and Terrorsaur. Ah, Drillnuts! I forgot to include Megatron and Optimus Primal in this poll! I wouldn't have been able to due to the 15 option limit though, so I guess they'll just have to be "manually" submitted via posts. But yeah, the other Basics are just regular Transformers that require multiple steps to transform.

What no basic 2 pack Prime and Megs?

In the absence of the above I vote Iguanus, I really like the reptilian mold he shares with Megs. And his alt mode is pretty much as Australian as Snarl's.

Though I think I like Megs the best of the early basics, I always like crocodilia alt modes, and also the two shades of green colour scheme.

A person's (even a child's) opinion of a toy can easily differ from their opinion of the character. According to the Mini-Cars poll, 13.95% of respondents have voted for Beachcomber as their favourite Mini-Car; equal second alongside Warpath with Seaspray at the #1 spot with 18.6% of votes! Beachcomber was definitely my favourite Mini-Car as a kid, even though I preferred Bumblebee as a character. Many kids in the 80s probably preferred Ironhide and Ratchet as characters than toys.

Agreed, but to be insistent that this is a poll on you favourite toy only from childhood, is to open it up to people loving the toy because they loved the character, because the two are linked (people dont love G1 Ironhide 33 years later because he was an amazing toy).

I say this as I sit next to a shelf full of Generations toys, a line which goes to prove how important media characterisation is as a part of selling the toy.

I don't think I've actually explained which one I chose, which was ultimately Razorbeast, but it was a tie between him and Armordillo, partly because of Armordillio became my stand in Ironhide having been upgraded by Unibot (Unicron's Autobot counterpart - I didn't read the comics)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed View Post
    What no basic 2 pack Prime and Megs?
    As I said...
    Ah, Drillnuts! I forgot to include Megatron and Optimus Primal in this poll! I wouldn't have been able to due to the 15 option limit though, so I guess they'll just have to be "manually" submitted via posts.
    I find Iguanus and Megatron's feet too prone to falling off, which bugs me heaps. I've lost one of my Iguanus' robot feet which I've since replaced with a junker Megatron's foot, but of course now they're mismatching.

I quite like the overall design of Optimus Primal, especially the "Batman-esque" head design, and I also love how the wings sit on his back. My main qualm with this mould is that the arms pop off too easily and the scimitars are really prone to dropping off when stored in beast mode. But otherwise it is a smexay robot mode! The scimitars are also a pretty awesome set of weapons, and I must confess that I occasionally like to flip them around and make them into makeshift hook swords.

Before the BW cartoon came out and when I heard that they were making a cartoon, I was hoping that the show would start off with Optimus Primal and Megatron as the bat and croc, then later upgraded as the gorilla and T-Rex. Apparently Mainframe originally wanted to do this, but the budget didn't allow it. The early episodes with Bat Primal in mind, hence why there are scenes where he flies, so when the decision was made afterwards that they'd only use the gorilla figure, Primal was given "Prime Jets" in robot mode so that they wouldn't need to re-write entire scenes that required him to be airborne.

Cripes I didn't read properly because it's late and missed Snarl entirely

Snarl would be my choice - had a different transformation to most at the price point, and I liked the way that the weapon attached to robot mode. It reminded 9 year old me of G1 Megatron's fusion cannon.

My choice in the poll was Insecticon. My first ever BW figure, and I liked his crossbow.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Would've gone Croc Megatron, but since he wasn't there, I went laser beak. All the terrorsaur positives but it a funky purple!
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

I have Hydra, who's a similar colour scheme to Lazorbeak, but without the illiteracy.