Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calls to ban Toy weapons

Default Calls to ban Toy weapons

I was told about this was on the news today.
    It was about some childcare orginization calling for a ban on toy weapons (mostly guns),super hero costumes and lego (becuase you can make weapons from it) becuase it promote violent behaviour.

So i was wondering if this succeeds will they ban action figures ( becuase of swords and guns if not playing good and bad ) like Transformers next?

This will never happen. There were people calling for the banning of "violent" kids content back in the 90s after MMPR became big and it went nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    This will never happen. There were people calling for the banning of "violent" kids content back in the 90s after MMPR became big and it went nowhere.
    Yep - toy weapons are a billion dollar industry - no way will it end.

And as stated, every few years some nutter group ineffectually calls for their ban

Does seem like the kind of "news" shows like Sunrise/Today get some outrage clicks from... like that one the other week about libraries.

The article I read discussed banning toy weapons in pre schools/daycare centres. And tbh I can’t fault the thinking. My son is nearly 4 and while I absolutely cannot wait for him to be old enough to be given a NERF gun, he is not allowed to play with any toys with guns now and when he plays with my TFs, I remove the weapons first.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    The article I read discussed banning toy weapons in pre schools/daycare centres. And tbh I can’t fault the thinking. My son is nearly 4 and while I absolutely cannot wait for him to be old enough to be given a NERF gun, he is not allowed to play with any toys with guns now and when he plays with my TFs, I remove the weapons first.
    Wow - I had used a REAL rifle by the time I was 4.

But then look how I turned out, so you are probably doing the right thing

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Wow - I had used a REAL rifle by the time I was 4.

But then look how I turned out, so you are probably doing the right thing
    I’m mid thirties and the closest I’ve ever been to a real gun is standing in line behind a cop at Maccas.

And besides, one would hope that parents approach their children using a real gun with a lot more... gravitas than a $2 toy gun.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Media that kids are exposed to doesn't explore the actual real life emotional ramifications of shooting a gun at another living person. If nerf and whatever are barred from kindergartens then kids will just find bent sticks to pretend to be guns, because what they see is all fun and games.

I'm not at all suggesting that media aimed at kids should explore the darker emotional side of violence, I'm just saying that as long as Han Solo and Luke Skywalker jaunt about the Death Star shooting storm troopers and we don't see Luke having a massive freakout afterwards or something like that, then kids will keep playing these games.

Again, not saying that media should change.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    I’m mid thirties and the closest I’ve ever been to a real gun is standing in line behind a cop at Maccas.

And besides, one would hope that parents approach their children using a real gun with a lot more... gravitas than a $2 toy gun.
    Ironic thing is we have a huge gun safe and no guns Think most of the neighbours have guns and I’m perfectly happy for them to be the ones to take care of the foxes and feral dog packs in the area. Might feel differently when we get our dorpa sheep if we lose a lot of lambs.

Don’t think I’ve picked up a gun in ten years. Never touched a handgun and only used a shotty twice. We just used to take the rifles and go spotlighting for rabbits, foxes and feral cats on the farm in the middle of nowhere.

What utter crap. And that's coming from my 14 years of dealing with violent offenders.