View Poll Results: Generations FOC Shockwave worth getting?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely!!!

23 76.67%
  • Only if...

7 23.33%
  • No way

0 0%
  • Not interested.

0 0%
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review: Generations FOC Shockwave

Default Toy Review: Generations FOC Shockwave

Series - Transformers Generations
    Sub-line - Fall of Cybertron
    Size/class - Deluxe
    Wave - 1
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Released here - not sure (Asia - June 2012, US - July 2012)
    Approximate Retail Price - $25-$30
    Approximate Size - not sure
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode - Cybertonian Mobile Artillery
    Main Features/Gimmicks - spring loaded head
    Main Colours - purple
    Main Accessories - laser cannon

(no photos as I don't have my camera usb connection cable on me)

Artillery Mode:

Compact, solid and holds together very well. I was afraid it'll be a jumbled mess but everything pegs together and stays in one piece. It doesn't have any sort of landing gear but does rest flat on the table. It looks pretty good and I like it, the chest piece sits a bit more flush against the body than the stock photos shows, it's sleek and looks like a plausible spaceship. It's not too small, about on par with the Prime First Edition deluxes. As far as Cybertronian modes go (and Earthen ones for that matter), it's very good.

Transformation:

The transformation surprised me, I didn't know what to expect and it turned out to be a fun transformation. It's simple, and easy to handle. Going between the modes takes a minute or so. There's nothing fiddly, and importantly, it's intuitive. There's no manipulation of thin flimsy parts. There's a head reveal gimmick of sorts seen in the Prime RiD deluxes in that when you peg in the chest, the head pops up automatically (think RiD Ratchet). It doesn't cause any compromise to the figure at all. Granted, there's nothing impressive about the engineering but it works in Shockwave's favour.

Robot Mode:

Not as small as I had feared, yes, there is a reduction in mass and size, but holding it in your hands, it's not too obvious. Shockwave is skinny, and if you look carefully, there's no abundance of paint (but he doesn't need it, being primarily purple anyway). I love how he has two fists, you can either attach the laser cannon (a separate piece) as a gun (it has a 5mm post), or fold in his hand and peg the cannon so it's like he has the cannon for an arm. The latter is preferable since by holding as a gun, the handle is too far forward and prevents Shockwave's elbow from bending (i.e. it's too big and clumsy). Alternatively, there's a space for you to peg the gun on his back, a handy touch. Articulation is great, and there's lightpiping for his eye that works really well. Apart from the head reveal and gun, there's no real gimmick to speak of. The articulation is what you would expect. Overall, a good robot mode.

Overall:

A fun toy to fiddle around with. After looking at Shockwave's case mates Jazz and Optimus, I think Shockwave is the best figure and mold out of the Wave 1 Generations (being Shockwave, he's a popular one too, flying off the shelves in Asia leaving the other two 'shelfwarming' in abundance). Get it!
    "sometimes the things you see might not be real and the things that are real you might not see"

Looking forward to picking him up locally. Thanks for the review christalcase
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Official pic, until Christalcase posts up his pics of the real thing...

Played with mine over the weekend. A very nice little figure. Little being the key word. Much better than the other two guys imo. Very cool Light piping for his eyes eye.

And I made a little laser pistol mode. Most of my thoughts and quite a few pics on my blog post..

I reckon if you don't bother with any of the other toys, at the very least get Shockers, he's a cool FOC guy and a cool Deluxe as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Most of my thoughts and quite a few pics on my blog post..
    Nice review Tets! Love the blaster mode you came up with. Makes me want this toy even more.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Little being the key word.
    Sentinel makes the 3 of them look like adolescent protoforms..

The legs look too weak for my liking. But seeing how I don't have any Shockwave figure, I might pick this up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    The legs look too weak for my liking.
    Then he's G1 accurate!

Shame about the downsizing, will still get though, plus that foc jazz coz I'm repurposing it as classics searchlight in my collection.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Popped open mine tonight and very impressed, his joints were all super tight and though his legs are hollow it seems to suit him.
    I love that his gun is interchangeable for single barrel or triple barrel mode, triple being my preferred option.
    I also found that you can store the front section of his gun in the lower section of his back under his backpack which I personally think looks really neat.
    Lots of personality and colours are great, get him when you can