• Yes, I will continue with all TT MPs

4 7.41%
  • Yes, I will continue collecting most/many TT MPs

17 31.48%
  • I might still get the occasional release

20 37.04%
  • I'm seriously having second thoughts about continuing,

7 12.96%
  • I'm out, my wallet can't take anymore.

6 11.11%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Will you still collect MP Transformers with the higher prices?

I found the price for MP-39 Sunstreaker was acceptable when it was first released early this year.

However, the Australian dollar is weak against the Yen and US dollar right now. The higher product prices have been driven up further by the weak dollar and the newly introduced GST on imports. As a result, prices have probably increased by roughly around 15% or so.

Galvatran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra Mackness View Post
    I've been collecting MPs since they started, but I think I might have hit the wall with MP Cordon. At around $230 AUD after conversion I just can't justify the ongoing expense. If the Autobot cars are going to lift to this kind of price, how much are the bigger bots going to go for in the future?

I might have to sadly call it a day on the MP line...
    Tis a solemn day in the realm of Transformers when I read collectors posting things like this.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Problem is I don’t see quality to price ratio being acceptable.

It also looks like an extremely bad 2018 for masterpiece, in fact I think this is the worst.
    IMO TT is so far behind in the masterpiece line is no longer funny. We not even talking about speculating licensing issues such as jazz mirage trailbreaker etc.

Things like blaster, insecticons, galvatron, cyclonus, reflector, kup, blurr are not even made.

Not to mention the combiner bots are where 3p is.

The fact that they now charge an arm for the quality in question. It lost my interest. I don’t care for beast wars so I won’t comment on it.

Galvatran Guest

^ Congratulations drifand on 7,000 posts on this forum! That is some achievement & needs to be recognised by your peers for your contribution in enriching Ozformers, sometimes with alternate views that may not be popular with the fandom. For that, I tilt my hat to you.

Bear in mind this year is a Movie year & perhaps resources are being poured into movie toys at the expense of non-movie Masterpieces

Quote Originally Posted by Galvatran View Post
    ^ Congratulations drifand on 7,000 posts on this forum! That is some achievement & needs to be recognised by your peers for your contribution in enriching Ozformers, sometimes with alternate views that may not be popular with the fandom. For that, I tilt my hat to you.

Bear in mind this year is a Movie year & perhaps resources are being poured into movie toys at the expense of non-movie Masterpieces
    I don’t compromise my standards when it comes to toys. I don’t give myself excuses that is okay.

This thread should be updated with the latest MP-44.

IMO MP-44 has definitely out priced the product. I am pretty sure we are not paying what it is worth regardless of engineering, paint involved.

As much as I love the piece, but I can't help to say this piece actually crossed the line for me to continue to support. Yes, I bought this but I think I am very done with this mp line unless Jazz comes along.

I have no longer any interest in Hound MP.

Kranix is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

MPs have moved in a direction that's just not for me. Price is an aspect but it's mainly the aesthetic. I'm not a "toon only" style fan and extra articulation isn't a big draw card for me. I really prefer the earlier MP and the pricing was decent to me. I'm definitely skipping MP-44 but I really want MP Hound but if he is more expensive than Sunstreaker I may pass. He is already not styled how I want but I'm a big fan of the character.

Jazz would pull me in though, he is one of my very favourite characters. Luckily he is a bit closer to the aesthetic I like even in toon form.

I find this to be a really odd question. The uber expensive Fortress Maximus didn't elicit any of us to stop collect Transformers in 1987. MP8 and MP9 were also quite expensive, and the MP Coneheads are just priced to the point of being ridiculous, but none of those have made people quit MP collecting.

If a toy's too expensive then just skip that individual figure. I fail to see the logic in giving up collecting anything altogether just because a few individual figures are heaps expensive. Also, unlike the MP Coneheads, MP XLIV is going to be the third MP Convoy. If you really don't like this price then just skip it and stick with your MP01 and MP10. I bit the bullet and bought all three MP Coneheads because there is no other choice beyond just skipping them. With toys like MP Dirge, you either suck it up or miss out on having any kind of MP Dirge whatsoever. But with MP XLIV your choices are either to pay for the toy or skip it but enjoy MP01 and MP10.

This is why I'm skipping MP XLIV. I could throw money at pre-ordering this toy right now if I wanted to. But the truth is that I'm perfectly happy with MP01. I own MP10 because it was a freebie (that's how happy I am with MP1). Obviously if someone offers to give me an MP XLIV for free I'll take it, but just as with MP10 I feel no compulsion to pay for one out of my own pocket. Maaaaaaaaaaaybe if it drops below $300... maaaybe. But I can happily live without this toy. Truth be told, I'm more interested in the humans that it comes with!

Kranix is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I'm not sure I follow you GoktimusPrime. Surely the question is valid, if MPs are generally becoming more expensive which they are, some people may stop collecting.

For me, 2 of the 3 Coneheads cost me $10 more than Starscream and less than MP Skywarp Otherwise I would have just skipped them as you say. All except maybe Dirge were quite good value to me compared to Grapple, Inferno and Sunstreaker.

I'm skipping MP-44 mainly because I don't really like it enough to buy it. I really do prefer MP-10 and MP-44 would probably become more of a stand alone statue for me.

However my point was that while for example, I want an MP Hound, the price is going up for something with an aesthetic I don't really want. So its just another reason to no longer collect. If I still loved the look of current MP it would be different.

I totally understand some people will get out of the Masterpiece game if prices consistently go up (and it appears they will), but I know I'm kidding myself if I pretend to make the same promise. I paid whatever was necessary to get all six main seekers in MP form, I bought a Soundwave at aftermarket prices just before the reissue was announced and I've preordered MP-44. I don't have a completist mentality, if there are certain characters I don't care for then I'll skip them, but I think generally speaking I'll still be in the MP game for a long time to come.