View Poll Results: Devastation game - how do you rate it?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Excellent

17 45.95%
  • Good

18 48.65%
  • Barely a pass

2 5.41%
  • Terrible

0 0%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: GAME review - Devastation

Quote Originally Posted by FruitBuyer View Post
    That's not the point I'm making with my analogy at all.
    Well I just showed you that I clearly know the difference so what's your point?

My point is that to call Devastation "just a button-mashing" isn't fair. If you've played Platinum's other games then you would know that they're not "just button-mashing".

To call it button-mashing is to call games like God of War and Shadow of Mordor "button-mashing".

Old school game design for older school characters! So much of the simpler days of gaming is now lost (entire genres even). Not every game has to be a massive epic to be good fun and worth buying.

You can bash buttons in fighting games like Mortal Kombat X, Ultra Street Fighter IV, Killer Instinct and beat em ups like DMC, Bayonetta and this game. But you really shouldn't, you should learn the combos and play like a real man.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

Then again, I'm not much of a gamer.
    Gaaah... the part in the Proudstar where Optimus Prime has to jump over retracting platforms was soooo annoying! Only took me 1264895622616874565 attempts to get through!

Challenge Mode is fun. Doesn't look like this game has any form of multiplayer.

P.S.: This game inspired me to make this action post pic

It took me 2 hours 48 minutes to complete chapter 1, but I spent time exploring the entire map... and I still missed a number of the "collectable" items.
    I think the "6 hours" gameplay is probably from hardcore gamers who just raced through the game doing the bare minimum, so it might sound quick, but if you play out the game fairly thoroughly, it should take at least 15 hours. And more if you go back hunting down the hidden items, or chase trophies.
    Speaking of trophies, the smaller number on offer with this game has meant that finishing one of the seven chapters hasn't earned me any trophies yet... when previous games would have had 4 or 5 that far into the game.
    The hassle I see will be having to play the game a minimum of five complete times if you want all the trophies (one trophy is awarded for each character that plays out the whole game... but I don't know if that means no swapping characters at all).

It's not as nostalgic as I had hoped (so far), but fighting the individual Constructicons was fun for the fact that they rarely got any individual action or characterisation in the original cartoon, so this gave a unique focus to them that made it worth focussing on them.

The game play gets a bit repetitive with 3-4 land vehicle bots, but Grimlock hasn't been unlocked yet, so maybe that might make it a little more interesting having a dino running around.
    For a basic bash-n-shoot game, with no problem-solving element, I think the controls could have been a bit simpler. With just shooting and hitting things, there seems to be some controller functions that could have been left out (like having two buttons for melee attack)... and some controller functions had multiple uses (R1 does two different things - transform and slowmo - and it can be annoying when it does one when you want the other to happen).

No instructions booklet or in-game guide, so a lot of things were very confusing to try to figure out, and there are some things that still don't make sense (like syncing weapons and the tech devices).

Good so far, but not excellent.

I would have liked a multiplayer element, running around as Gen1-styled Generic Bots & Cons, with Gen1 sound effects, shooting up the cannon-fodder troops or each other. A shame though.

Finished chapter one so far so maybe too early to comment. The one thing I like is that the enemy bots actually know to utilize their alt mode strategically as opposed to being stuck in one form all the time. Both the individual Constructions fights and Devastator fights are really enjoyable. And I gotta say I really like the bgm so far. Particularly the main menu music, which takes cue from the classic Tf theme, and the bgm played when you're in the ark, which has such a heroic guitar motif.

Shockwave!

As frustrating as it was, I like his ample use of his ray gun mode. He also has this weird ability to generate doppelgängers of himself to attack you, which feels more like something that Sixshot would do in the Japanese cartoon continuity rather than something that Shockwave ever did in the G1 'toon. So canonically it doesn't seem to make much sense... but damn do I love the fact that the doppelgängers are all coloured like Astro Magnum/Galactic Man! (a.k.a. "Shackwave"). This has a special meaning for me (as it would for many other Aussie fans) since G1 Shockwave was never released here, but "Shackwave" was, and many of us grew up playing with a "Shackwave." I did appreciate the fact that - so far - they haven't resorted to portraying Shockwave as the logic-driven fiend, as that was really G1 comic Shockwave's persona, not G1 cartoon Shockwave's. I was kinda afraid that he might start quoting some crap about logic at me during the fight, but thankfully he did not. The only thing that bugs me is the voice -- sounds nothing like G1 Shockwave. It's a shame that they didn't get Corey Burton to reprise Shockwave's voice, and alright, I can understand that it might not be possible to get every G1 voice actor to reprise their old roles in this game, but surely the voice actor could have at least tried to approximate G1 Shockwave's voice (as all of us do when we play with the toy! ). That's my only gripe about Devastation Shockers.

I also really liked how Thundercracker quickly ratted out on the Decepticons after being defeated, but also refused to accept the Autobots' offer to join them. Very in character! Also... the Seeker's mouths look like they've got some kind of "mushmouth," as if they were drawn by Andrew Griffith.

Fighting in the Space Bridge vortex was also pretty cool. I like how you can fight in three dimensions; i.e. gravity doesn't exist... sorta. Although it kinda contradicts how the G1 cartoon established that space bridge travel is perilous, and that travellers must remain focused or risk oblivion; surely being distracted by a fight would...^just shut up and enjoy the game, Goki!

One of the funniest things from this game is the transform-n-ground-slam move... which has you jump into the air and transform as you come down, and if you land on the opponent, you end up grinding your tyres into them.

Just finished the game. I like how the ending theme is, much like the rest of the soundtrack, reminiscent of G1, but is actually an original song. It's much more refreshing than the hundredth uninspiring rendition of the G1 theme song.

Oh, be sure to stick around to end of the credits.