Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Generations Select Gulf from King Poseidon revealed.

Quote Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
    OOoh, I am so in!

I actually hope Takara release a giftset, while Hasbro eventually release as individuals. I'd get both sets.

I agree with some here. I don't need their weapon gimmick. Skalors backpack is already huge.

Oh, random question... How do you pronounce it:

Sea cons
    or
    See a cons

It's the later for me.
    I've been convinced it Sea Cons, but I still call them See A Cons

If they released God Neptune repaints I hope those are individual as I really only want Scylla - but odds are it will be Seacons individually and Pirates as a box set.

The G2/FunPub colours are pretty unlikely though...

Prices for the Seacons appear to be 3800 Yen for the limbs and 6500 Yen for the torso. So no box set by the looks of it.

https://www.seibertron.com/transform...ranacon/43432/

I agree with some here. I don't need their weapon gimmick. Skalors backpack is already huge.
    Would you classify it as a gimmick though? For me a gimmick is something like being able to walk, sound effects, shoot sparks - that kind of stuff. I'd more count their gun transformation as one of their modes.

I have zero problems with them leaving gimmicks out. For instance I don't care that the new Monsterbots don't breathe fire or that the upcoming Omega wont walk. But it kinda irritates me when they make a figure decades after the original and have simplified it to the point they have left an entire mode out. Like Sky Lynx not having individual bird and lynx modes and Scattershot not having a gun emplacement mode.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like if these guys lack their Targetmaster modes that I'll chuck a wobbly - I'll still be laying down my bucks to grab them. It would just be nice is all

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Would you classify it as a gimmick though? For me a gimmick is something like being able to walk, sound effects, shoot sparks - that kind of stuff. I'd more count their gun transformation as one of their modes.
    I guess it's a gimmick in the sense that a triple changer has a gimmick of a third mode. Likewise the ability to combine would be another gimmick.

Just because it's part of a figures core function, doesn't make it any less of a gimmick. I mean, the ability of Transformers transforming was originally a gimmick.

Oh, random question... How do you pronounce it:

Sea cons
    or
    See a cons

It's the later for me.

I've never heard it having an alternative pronunciation before, so this is news to me.
    I'm not sure what "See a Cons" would be referring to as a name, since they are creatures from the Sea (or Water), so "Sea Cons" would be where the name comes from and be how I always thought it was pronounced.
    (do a youtube search for 1980s Transformers commercials... it's a lot of retro fun)

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post

When it comes to Transformers, a gimmick is anything that a group or series of figures is marketed as being unique at doing... from something really specific like sparks or a spring-loaded feature, to how many modes it has... or even transforming at all (or lack of, like Actionmasters - their gimmick was that they *didn't* transform, but were (at the time) had better sculpting and joints for action play).
    And a Transformers toy can have more than one gimmick - The Seacons have combining as a gimmick, AND, the ability to turn into a weapon as an extra mode (which other combiner limbs don't).
    Since there appears to be all six in this set, and the silhouette looked to have the Lobster Con being held as a weapon, it should be safe to say that these will have the extra gimmick of having a fourth "gun" mode... but if it is just their limb mode with guns attached to one end, these newer combiners have Piranacon "elbow" and "knee" joints when in limb mode, which the original Seacons didn't have, so the gun modes may not be as stable this time around. (probably the one advantage of "brick" toys back in the 80s... the gun modes weren't a floppy mess with too many joints).

I guess it's a gimmick in the sense that a triple changer has a gimmick of a third mode. Likewise the ability to combine would be another gimmick.

Just because it's part of a figures core function, doesn't make it any less of a gimmick. I mean, the ability of Transformers transforming was originally a gimmick.
    Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    When it comes to Transformers, a gimmick is anything that a group or series of figures is marketed as being unique at doing... from something really specific like sparks or a spring-loaded feature, to how many modes it has... or even transforming at all (or lack of, like Actionmasters - their gimmick was that they *didn't* transform, but were (at the time) had better sculpting and joints for action play).
    And a Transformers toy can have more than one gimmick - The Seacons have combining as a gimmick, AND, the ability to turn into a weapon as an extra mode (which other combiner limbs don't).
    Since there appears to be all six in this set, and the silhouette looked to have the Lobster Con being held as a weapon, it should be safe to say that these will have the extra gimmick of having a fourth "gun" mode... but if it is just their limb mode with guns attached to one end, these newer combiners have Piranacon "elbow" and "knee" joints when in limb mode, which the original Seacons didn't have, so the gun modes may not be as stable this time around. (probably the one advantage of "brick" toys back in the 80s... the gun modes weren't a floppy mess with too many joints).
    Well there ya go. Sounds like my idea of a gimmick differs to others. Fair enough, agree to sorta disagree (since I can see you guys point of view and kinda agree with it )

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I've never heard it having an alternative pronunciation before, so this is news to me.
    I'm not sure what "See a Cons" would be referring to as a name, since they are creatures from the Sea (or Water), so "Sea Cons" would be where the name comes from and be how I always thought it was pronounced.
    (do a youtube search for 1980s Transformers commercials... it's a lot of retro fun)
    We’ve debated it here before

It’s a naming pattern thing, they are from the Sea of course, but:

Decept-A-con, Insect-a-con, Stunt-a-con, Combat-a-con, Pred-a-con, Horr-a-con, Tear-a-con, Trigg-a-con... therefore: sea-a-con

No need for anyone to correct me on English grammar and pronunciation and Latin roots, thankyou .

Ah hahaha! This is textbook geekdom discourse at its best!

Between myself, Kelpie, Paulbot and Griffin we’ve taken a news report about an unpainted overseas prototype of an extremely obscure character and turned it into a discussion about semantics and pronounciaton

Well done gents, I’m proud of us all