Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Paint and airbrushing tips and advice

Quote Originally Posted by bruticus View Post
    thanks for the tips mate.
    i cant believe that you ghetto'd a spray booth out of paper... nice...
    what did you end up using for an exhaust fan?
    post a pick of it when you are free.
    Haha, well it's nothing fancy but it stops the paint from going everywhere (when I'm not knocking the airbrush over that is). Because I'm mainly using acrylics these days I just keep the laundry door open and that's about it. Do you recommend the exhaust fan option? Yours sounds pretty cool I must say. I don't really know much about exhaust fans in terms of airbrushing - does it have some sort of catcher/filter that absorbs the paint?

havent had issues with the moisture trap on mine yet so never thought about using a second inline moisture trap as well.
    talk about "double bagging" dude. lol.
    I dare say you've probably not had an issue due to using (at least I'm assuming you use) a compressor with an air tank. The issue seems to affect the smaller compressors like my little whippersnapper.

yep... you're right about the airbrush holder... need to get me one as well.
    actually i might duck into stanbridges now to see if they have any.
    Stanbridges eh? You'll have to let us know if they have anything up to scratch, otherwise I think many people use those cleaning station thingies that double as a holder.

the suggestion i might add, is that if you can, try to get yourself a side gravity feed air brush. the cup is located on the side so it doesnt block your view when you paint close up, and it is still a gravity feed which is "suppose" to be better for control and detail painting compared to a bottom feed. its not essential, but if you are just starting out then why not.
    That does sound good actually, do you reckon the paint filters into the nib just as well? It would have to be on a bit of an angle wouldn't it?

also, if you can, try and get an airtank. its suppose to be better for the hot weather. what you do is paint using the air from the tank only and all the air compressor does is occasionally top up the tank when it runs below a certain limit (top up level is much at a higher pressure than your max working pressure so you still have a steady flow). that way if your air compressor overheats and hits a thermal cut out, you can still continue painting with the air supplied from the tank. plus the air compressor is not on constantly which means longer times for it to overheat.
    Excellent advice, and something I wish I knew before selecting my compressor! Can I ask, are these kind of compressors much more expensive, and do they make less or more noise than ones that don't have a tank?

lastly, an air brush is great for dusting and cleaning your transformers as well.
    add a bit of water and bam...you also got yourself a nice way to cool yourself down in the summer...lol. (just make sure you clean it real good first )
    LOL, you can also run a fake tanning business on the side, just don't let the girls make you rush that last coat of paint because they want their toosh to look like a baked bean!

not sure why your compressor is maxing out at 23psi though. it sounds like you havent adjusted your pressure control valve and its maxing out the output pressure at the valve level. but you did mention you cranked up your idle pressure to 50+ psi which means you would have adjusted the pressure control valve, so not sure whats happening there? maybe you have a second valve somewhere? i dont have an iwata or a second moisture trap so i dunno. just guessing.
    My air compressor is one of life's greatest mysteries. I've called Jonathan Creek for advice but even he can't help.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledealer View Post
    Haha, well it's nothing fancy but it stops the paint from going everywhere (when I'm not knocking the airbrush over that is). Because I'm mainly using acrylics these days I just keep the laundry door open and that's about it. Do you recommend the exhaust fan option? Yours sounds pretty cool I must say. I don't really know much about exhaust fans in terms of airbrushing - does it have some sort of catcher/filter that absorbs the paint?
    Well, im currently living in an apartment and when i first decided to get into painting it was winter time and i couldnt paint outdoors so i opted for a spray booth after consulting with the master spray painters on this forum (i.e. gamblor, rampagesss and loophole )
    similar to this:
    http://www.hobbytools.com.au/prod789.htm
    it has an exhaust fan that sucks up all the spray vapours and passes through 2 filters before dumping out whats left through an exhaust hose. you are suppose to aim the hose outside a window but i was no where near a window and since i was paranoid about filling up my home with spray fumes, i ended up putting a fine white filter on the end of that exhaust hose. thankfully i did, cos i could see the gunk that built up on the 3rd filter! after a while, a friend suggested that if i couldnt find an extension hose suitable to make it longer and reach the window, then i should try dunking the hose into a bucket of water to suppress the residual paint fumes. so far thats worked. just dont kick over the bucket... or maybe the bucket needs a bucket stand as well? lol

Oh, the spray booth is also pretty good for catching most of the dust when im carving up plastics and epoxy putty etc with my dremel.. those fine dust particles are pretty bad. serves me right for doing mods indoors i suppose.

I dare say you've probably not had an issue due to using (at least I'm assuming you use) a compressor with an air tank. The issue seems to affect the smaller compressors like my little whippersnapper.
    yeah, maybe its because of my air tank. or maybe i havent fully abused my air brush in the full heat of summer? lol

Stanbridges eh? You'll have to let us know if they have anything up to scratch, otherwise I think many people use those cleaning station thingies that double as a holder.

boo.. stanbridges, perth city hobby and super cheap auto dont have them.
    looks like i need to ebay it.
    those cleaning pot thingies are pretty cool if they can also double as a holder.

That does sound good actually, do you reckon the paint filters into the nib just as well? It would have to be on a bit of an angle wouldn't it?
    mine has a 90degree elbow, but the paint still filters down alright. however, sometimes when the paint in the cup gets really low, it starts playing up, so you wont be able to really use the last few drops of paint in the cup consistently. but you shouldnt really let things get to that stage anyways and should be topping up the paint.

Excellent advice, and something I wish I knew before selecting my compressor! Can I ask, are these kind of compressors much more expensive, and do they make less or more noise than ones that don't have a tank?
    mine was relatively cheap and its pretty quiet system too.
    i bought 2x gravity feed dual action air brushes, 1x air compressor and 1x3L air tank from the ebay a while ago all for around 200AUD posted. its some random chinese brand but it does the job and hasnt carked it on me yet... (touch wood). similar to this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    so the air tanks shouldnt be too expensive if you are looking to get one.

but fark man.. ive read of people using air straight from scuba tanks or a make shift air tank from large coke bottles so it really just depends on what you want.

Nice topic, it's good to hear about other experiences and techniques. Here's my setup which I've used for several years, Iwata HP-CS and basic Sparmax compressor. The compressor doesn't have any pressure controls so I have to use the screw at the bottom of the trap to adjust it. Not ideal but it works ok most of the time. I just have to be careful on really humid days which luckily are not that frequent. I'm surprised at how high the pressure you guys work at. For general work mine is 15-20psi and close in detail work is 5-10psi.

I also have an Aztek which I don't really use anymore and don't recommend.

I also have a Harder and Steenbeck Infinity which is nice, but I haven't used it a lot as my Iwata does it all. I was planning to use it for fine detail work but I've found my Iwata is pretty good at that too. All the gradations are painted with the Iwata.

Quote Originally Posted by bruticus
    also, if you can, try and get an airtank. its suppose to be better for the hot weather. what you do is paint using the air from the tank only and all the air compressor does is occasionally top up the tank when it runs below a certain limit (top up level is much at a higher pressure than your max working pressure so you still have a steady flow). that way if your air compressor overheats and hits a thermal cut out, you can still continue painting with the air supplied from the tank. plus the air compressor is not on constantly which means longer times for it to overheat.
    This is a good idea. If my compressor dies then I would get a tank one with pressure controls. The pulsing on mine is very minimal, probably because of the trap but I think a tank would be better. That said it's still going strong and has never failed me on hot summer days.

I agree to that you need a good holder. Mine is attached to the compressor but I used to use a roll of sticky tape which got knocked over quite often.

Quote Originally Posted by doubledealer
    -3M 6200 Respirator with 3M 60921 P100 cartridges (when spraying Enamels)
    I use these 3m filters as well. I spray mainly Gunze lacquers and auto paints so it's a must. I also use disposable gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by bruticus
    lastly, an air brush is great for dusting and cleaning your transformers as well.
    add a bit of water and bam...you also got yourself a nice way to cool yourself down in the summer...lol. (just make sure you clean it real good first )
    Good idea!
    I always give the parts a spray of air to clean off dust before applying paint.

I have one of these Gunze cleaning pots, brand new if anyone is interested for $20 shipped anywhere.
    http://www.hlj.com/product/GNZPS-257

just a question that air compressor at the top looks very similar to this one from total tools just without all the stickers and black paint. I don't know

http://www.totaltools.com.au/icat/pdf.php?id=358

i think its $169 and u can get it cheaper on sales

honestly, I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but it's good to know there is this thread when I finally do get an airbrush ( that is in line with some other stuff to buy list) at least I have a reference to go to and know who to ask for experience and such.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Well, im currently living in an apartment and when i first decided to get into painting it was winter time and i couldnt paint outdoors so i opted for a spray booth after consulting with the master spray painters on this forum (i.e. gamblor, rampagesss and loophole )
    similar to this:
    http://www.hobbytools.com.au/prod789.htm
    it has an exhaust fan that sucks up all the spray vapours and passes through 2 filters before dumping out whats left through an exhaust hose. you are suppose to aim the hose outside a window but i was no where near a window and since i was paranoid about filling up my home with spray fumes, i ended up putting a fine white filter on the end of that exhaust hose. thankfully i did, cos i could see the gunk that built up on the 3rd filter! after a while, a friend suggested that if i couldnt find an extension hose suitable to make it longer and reach the window, then i should try dunking the hose into a bucket of water to suppress the residual paint fumes. so far thats worked. just dont kick over the bucket... or maybe the bucket needs a bucket stand as well? lol
    I have the option of painting outdoors but I'd have to be tripping balls before I'd even think about trying it in Perth. Is it just me or is this city like living in a wind tunnel? Every day I ride to work I can hear this wretched voice inside my head saying 'You're not streamlined enough, stop eating so many Freddo's and maybe you'll get to work faster!'. Shut up! I retort as I pedal like a madman against a wind so fierce, I have to be on the 1st gear just to go down a hill.

On a serious note, that spray booth looks brilliant! I just hope for your sake no one puts the bucket on top of a door on April fools.

yeah, maybe its because of my air tank. or maybe i havent fully abused my air brush in the full heat of summer? lol
    lol, you could be right on that last point. Gotta keep the dream alive though, right?

boo.. stanbridges, perth city hobby and super cheap auto dont have them.
    looks like i need to ebay it.
    those cleaning pot thingies are pretty cool if they can also double as a holder.
    That's odd isn't it considering how necessary they really are. If you're passionate about your business you'd think you'd think of these things...Ah well, group order?

but fark man.. ive read of people using air straight from scuba tanks or a make shift air tank from large coke bottles so it really just depends on what you want.
    Why did I just imagine someone using a Nitrous Oxide tank for airbrushing...It would certainly make the time between coats more enjoyable!

Quote Originally Posted by gamblor916 View Post
    Nice topic, it's good to hear about other experiences and techniques. Here's my setup which I've used for several years, Iwata HP-CS and basic Sparmax compressor. The compressor doesn't have any pressure controls so I have to use the screw at the bottom of the trap to adjust it. Not ideal but it works ok most of the time. I just have to be careful on really humid days which luckily are not that frequent. I'm surprised at how high the pressure you guys work at. For general work mine is 15-20psi and close in detail work is 5-10psi.
    That compressor looks remarkably similar to my own, do you ever get the spluttery water thing with yours, gamblor? Interesting to hear about the psi levels you work with. I might have to try some of the lower settings to see if it allows better control. I basically just stuck with 23 as I'd heard a lot of people work at 25psi and 23's as high as my stinkin' compressor will go. Not sure what the rationale is behind using 25psi though...

Oh and Bruticus, when are we going to see your customs mate?

Quote Originally Posted by primatives View Post
    just a question that air compressor at the top looks very similar to this one from total tools just without all the stickers and black paint. I don't know

http://www.totaltools.com.au/icat/pdf.php?id=358

i think its $169 and u can get it cheaper on sales
    You mean the one in the bottom left?? Sounds pretty good to me, although might be worth googling it to get some opinions on its performance?

Liege, it's all pretty confusing when you start out. That's why I created the thread! So any questions you may have now or in the future, let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledealer
    That compressor looks remarkably similar to my own, do you ever get the spluttery water thing with yours, gamblor? Interesting to hear about the psi levels you work with. I might have to try some of the lower settings to see if it allows better control. I basically just stuck with 23 as I'd heard a lot of people work at 25psi and 23's as high as my stinkin' compressor will go. Not sure what the rationale is behind using 25psi though...
    It's happened once or twice in about 5 years. It's annoying having water droplets ruin an otherwise good paintjob but it's a relatively easy fix.

I've found it's a balancing act between thickness of the paint, the air temperature, and air pressure. The higher the air temp, the thinner the paint and lower the pressure which I prefer. For me around 25 degrees is the perfect spraying temperature. Under 20 degrees the silvers and chromes especially go cloudy or less bright.

I got a Iwata 925 with the HP.CP airbrush for xmas and its working great. I too looked at chiacago but went with a local supplier which ended up around 100 dearer, but warranty is local which was a factor for me. The Iwata is super quite and has the moister trap built in.

The air brush holder is super cool but as its glass be carefull not to drop it, it smashes into a 1000 pieces

I built my own spray booth as most of my work is done at night. Just buy a big 120 - 150 ltr clear container from kmart and the like and go from there. I put 4 computer fans at the back to take the air out and so far so good.

I have the pressure for painting set really low most of the time like 10 -15 psi and use all kinds of paints from autos to Acrylics, (auto paints I only use outside).

Where's a good place to get 3M filters?
    My current mask needs replacing and I need to get a bunch of filters as well.
    Normally I get them off ebay from here. I usually get these filters and pre-filters.

Quote Originally Posted by gamblor916 View Post
    Where's a good place to get 3M filters?
    My current mask needs replacing and I need to get a bunch of filters as well.
    Normally I get them off ebay from here. I usually get these filters and pre-filters.
    These are the ones I have/get:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_1316wt_1139 They are great and dead sexy to boot.

Well, I certainly learnt something the hard way today. Yesterday I put my custom Guzzle's legs together. The legs have a rod which the knee feeds onto, and because I'd painted the rods I had to use a bit of force to get the knee on there. Once they were on, I tried to move the knee joints and duh, it's tighter than a flea's @$$ over a rain barrel. So (today) I start pulling the knee's off the legs again. One was a bit of a struggle but eventually came off...The other one, however, was wedged in so tight I actually snapped 2/3's of rod off the leg (while still attached to the knee). Miraculously though, I sanded off the stump that remained, tried screwing it all back together and it's actually perfect now...Phew. That was a close one!

On a less stressful note, my order of ProModeller Acrylic Black wash arrived today from the UK. I can't wait to try this stuff out, although I'll have to gloss clear coat the parts I use it on first.