Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Transformers Per Catalogue Classes 1984-1987

Btw, will you be doing the rest of G1? Cos seeing your list is like looking at a 40% complete progress bar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    The re-packaging of Frenzy with Ratbat always seemed annoying. Mind you Ratbat did look amazing with his minute level of articulation. It was as if he was moving forward while much of the line was moving backwards.
    I guess because he was engineered to be compatible with Microman whereas other figures were uniquely made for Transformers and thus severed their direct ties with Diaclone, Microman and other pre-TF lines
    (i.e. greater influence from Hasbro over Takara)
    Oh, and I listed that pair as 1987 to prevent them from competing with the original two pairs.
    The original Decepticon Cassettes were 1984. Frenzy/Laserbeak was no longer available in 1986.

Another factor that helped push me into getting Frenzy/Laserbeak was that my original Frenzy was really worn out. Heh, my first taste of a reissue.

Skids was almost my first boxed (rather than blister packed) Transformer. Or at any rate that was my intention after a classmate showed him off at school. However on getting to the local toy store with sufficient cash for an Autobot Car, I was faced with only Prowl, and got him instead.

I feel Prowl is the better toy, as well as having nostalgia value for me, but Skids always had a lingering charm, and I eventually got a recentish re-issue. All his working doors and hatches are damned nifty.
    So nifty. I used to remove his rubber wheels and store them in his boot. That toy had so much play value. At some point it broke (probably thanks to my brother). I recently opened my reissue of him and it brought back fond memories.

Quote Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
    So nifty. I used to remove his rubber wheels and store them in his boot. That toy had so much play value. At some point it broke (probably thanks to my brother). I recently opened my reissue of him and it brought back fond memories.
    His wheels came off (and went back on again)?

I'm having more specific recollections to do with the Skid toy a classmate showed off. Everyone was impressed and yet, some of the boys referred to his alt-mode as a 'jap crap' car, showing that even at the age of 12 they had been inculcated into some kind of car-based prejudice.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Btw, will you be doing the rest of G1? Cos seeing your list is like looking at a 40% complete progress bar.
    This took some research, as I'm barely familiar with the latter part of G1, and my energy flagged by 1990, but that's still a lot more than I originally listed, so here I go...

Best Autobot Powermaster (1988): Getaway

Best Autobot Headmaster (1988): Hosehead (and as a result I would possibly change my Protectobot from Hotspot to Groove)

Best Autobot Targetmaster (1988): Quickmix

Best Autobot Pretender (1988): Sky High

Best Autobot Pretender Beast (1988): Catilla

Best Triggerbot (1988): Override

Best Sparkabot (1988): Guzzle

Best Pair of Autobot Mini-Cassettes (1988): Grand Slam and Raindance

Best Decepticon Powermaster (1988): Dreadwind

Best Decepticon Headmaster (1988): Squeezeplay

Best Decepticon Targetmaster (1988): Spinister (mostly for that name)

Best Decepticon Pretender (1988): Bugly

Best Decepticon Pretender Beast (1988): Snarler

Best Triggercon (1988): Crankcase

Worst Firecon (1988): Cindersaur

Best Pair of Decepticon Mini-Cassettes (1988): Beastbox and Squawktalk

Worst Seacon (1988): Tentakil

Worst Autobot Pretender (1989): Doubleheader

Best Autobot Micromaster (1989): Erector

Worst Decepticon Pretender (1989): Stranglehold

Best Decepticon Monster Pretender (1989): Sorry I gotta pass on this…

Best Decepticon Micromaster (1989): Flattop

Best Autobot Action Master (1990): Rad

Best Autobot Micromaster (1990): Autobot Astro Squad

Best Decepticon Action Master (1990): Treadshot

Best Decepticon Micromaster (1990): Decepticon Battle Squad

One thing this has driven home for me is how cool Micromasters were. They were more nicely detailed than many larger Transformers of the time. They had some cool playsets (something lacking from the Transformers brand overall). And you could get a bunch of them quickly. Had I been younger (while still being discerning) I can see an alternate past version of me collecting Micromasters exclusively.

His wheels came off (and went back on again)?
    Actually I should have said tyres rather than the whole wheel.

I can't be bothered doing the rest of G1 since I also didn't get much past the 86 topline except for some Micromasters.

Quote Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
    Actually I should have said tyres rather than the whole wheel.
    I guessed at tyers. Still, that's dedication to play features.