Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: SPOILER THREAD - The Last Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    In fact the three episodes should have been written and set not wing it.
    I can agree on that. You'd think they'd have gotten the three directors commissioned at the start of this (JJ, RJ and Colin Trevorrow) and their writers together to sort something out right at the start.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

This is Disney we’re talking about. They didn’t hesitate to fire the original directors of the upcoming Solo movie because the directors encouraged improvisation and went off script, diverging from Disney’s vision. Everything about TLJ was scrutinised and given the tick of approval; Rian was not some wildcard who caught the head honchos at Disney off guard. Mark Hamill made it very clear (on record) that he didn’t like Luke’s portrayal in TLJ, but had to follow Rian’s vision. Disney have given Rian another trilogy to make, thats how confident they were in him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    Mark Hamill made it very clear (on record) that he didn’t like Luke’s portrayal in TLJ, but had to follow Rian’s vision. Disney have given Rian another trilogy to make, thats how confident they were in him.
    He also retracted that statement and said it was more like an initial disapproval that was then later given more detail and he then was on-board with it.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by philby View Post
    He also retracted that statement and said it was more like an initial disapproval that was then later given more detail and he then was on-board with it.
    His pay might be at stake, after all you do want to continue acting in next episode. Don't forget, he was on the same page of how Luke was supposed to be with the former director.

First reaction is normally the correct one. I don't blame him for retracting.

Disney being confident on Rian's Trilogy, may be a bad one. To me, is how his editing and story telling that actually is the problem. TLJ can pass in story, is the editing and how the story is being told has failed. But hey, I am just an audience, we vote with our wallets. ATM is how episode nine concludes, it decides for me, whether I like this trilogy at all.

Someone explain to me How Rian J was picked to do TLJ? I thought he has no experience at all with Sci Fi? All he did was Looper?
    I mean look at JJ, that I can understand why he can touch Star Wars, But Rian? Looper? urm how the heck he got this?

Obviously Disney was sold on the pitch and vision Rian gave for The Last Jedi. You don’t need sci fi experience to make a sci fi movie. Clearly they cared more for the story and themes. Star Wars isn’t even sci fi, its a space fantasy.

Disney have had an awesome run in picking relatively unknown directors with a limited experience with big blockbusters. Look at the Marvel Cinematic Universe with the Russo Brothers (Captain America 2 & 3), James Gunn (Guardians of the Galaxy) and Taika Waititi (Thor 3).

If every studio played it safe, we’d get Spielberg, Nolan, Bay (j/k), Ridley, Howard, Del Toro et al directing all the good stuff.

Well...story was off if thats was the main goal, it is the actually the main issue where people are not happy. The special effect looks great. And here's the thing, its just proven you do need the experience in order to do Star Wars. But anyway, thats done and dusted.

Marvel was a success is because the characters stay true to what they are, but I am sure some have agreed the latest spiderman is a bit off in terms of story.
    Nolan wasn't anything super, he was actually taking the best out of the comic and making it real for his Batman series, thats why it worked and when you look at Justice League, it miles apart because the tone of the movie is totally different. pretty sure if they made Captain America a girl might screwed things up.

His pay might be at stake, after all you do want to continue acting in next episode. Don't forget, he was on the same page of how Luke was supposed to be with the former director.

First reaction is normally the correct one. I don't blame him for retracting.
    It would not surprise me in the slightest if Disney applied pressure on him to backtrack. It's bad PR when an iconic star of the series says the new movie sucks.

Someone explain to me How Rian J was picked to do TLJ? I thought he has no experience at all with Sci Fi? All he did was Looper?
    I mean look at JJ, that I can understand why he can touch Star Wars, But Rian? Looper? urm how the heck he got this?
    Looper is one of the best original science fiction movies to have come out in the 21st century.

He also directed some of the most critically acclaimed episodes of Breaking Bad.

Brick is commonly cited as a very very good recent example of neo-noir.

The Brothers Bloom was an odd film, but I found it enjoyable on the whole.

And here's the thing, its just proven you do need the experience in order to do Star Wars. But anyway, thats done and dusted.
    It's not proven.

Irvin Kershner, the director of the Empire Strikes Back, had never previously directed a science fiction film either, having stuck mainly to comedies and westerns. Richard Marquand, of Return of the Jedi fame, had not directed any science fiction films. Gareth Edwards had directed a grand total of two films, both of which were monster movies (Godzilla and Monster).

** This is without even getting into the discussion about how Star Wars is not science fiction**

Star Wars isn’t even sci fi, its a space fantasy.
    Thankyou

Marvel was a success is because the characters stay true to what they are, but I am sure some have agreed the latest spiderman is a bit off in terms of story.
    Nolan wasn't anything super, he was actually taking the best out of the comic and making it real for his Batman series, thats why it worked and when you look at Justice League, it miles apart because the tone of the movie is totally different. pretty sure if they made Captain America a girl might screwed things up.
    The biggest problem in the MCU right now is that over time, and as each character gets more movies, they each slowly turn into Tony Stark ++. Quippy, quick witted, self-deprecating, willing to bend the rules with a smile for the greater good. That essentially covers off the current iterations of Stark, Thor, Starlord, Spiderman and arguably Captain America.

You're right that a large part of the reason that Nolan's Batman films worked is because he stuck to Bruce Wayne's character - broody, morose, self martyring. Nolan didn't try and make him the average MCU hero.

If every studio played it safe, we’d get Spielberg, Nolan, Bay (j/k), Ridley, Howard, Del Toro et al directing all the good stuff.
    Not to mention Abrams!
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Well we should look forward to episode nine. hope it will be a success.

Honest trailers from a month ago, with almost nothing good to say about the movie.