Page 45 of 120 FirstFirst ... 253540414243444546474849505565 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you never realised about Transformers (toys etc)

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Me too.
    When I first read it, I thought it was a last chance nod by the designers at their original names, now that three don't appear to officially exist anymore.
    It will be interesting to see if Swoop comes back as a Transformers name after Age of Extinction, of if due to the film's level of exposure all Swoops are now Strafes.

Noticed for the first time tonight that the AOE Generations toys don't promote the Collectors Club anywhere on them. Thrilling 30 Generations still do though. I figured the AOE Generations toys were still the collector focused toys but maybe Hasbro thinks otherwise?

Or maybe the AOE toys will be in so many overseas markets they know there's no point promoting the Club to an international audience...

Legends Jetfire, the TakaraTOMY version of Generations Jetfire, is called Jetfire!
    I thought that TakaraTOMY would've called this toy "Skyfire," as they did with Henkei Skyfire. I initially wondered if this was the first time that Takara has called a G1 Skyfire toy "Jetfire" (as the G1 toy was never released in Japan), but a cursory Google search reveals that the Takara version of G2 Jetfire was also called Jetfire (I also did not know this, I'd just assumed that he was called 'Skyfire'). Wow.

This is something that I knew, but the forgot for ages... AoE Voyager Galvatron's front fender section can fold down! This helps to slightly reduce the size of his already unsightly backpack kibble, and cover up a big gap on the back. When I looked back at my old photos of this toy on the review thread, I can see that I actually did fold the fender down in early photos, but then didn't do it in subsequent shots! I only just rediscovered this while playing with the toy today.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Noticed for the first time tonight that the AOE Generations toys don't promote the Collectors Club anywhere on them. Thrilling 30 Generations still do though. I figured the AOE Generations toys were still the collector focused toys but maybe Hasbro thinks otherwise?

Or maybe the AOE toys will be in so many overseas markets they know there's no point promoting the Club to an international audience...
    Or maybe Fun Publications lost their license and the packaging people have advance notice!
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Theres nothing quite like getting a MISB Transformer from last decade to make you realise how crap the packaging was. Need a bloody chainsaw to get the toy out of the comically oversized packaging.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Theres nothing quite like getting a MISB Transformer from last decade to make you realise how crap the packaging was. Need a bloody chainsaw to get the toy out of the comically oversized packaging.
    I find it interesting to note the cost cutting measures that have been implemented over the years.

The G1 'Chinese reissues' from the early 1990s. Only realised until a few days ago, thanks to fellow forum users.

A couple of things I didn't realise (or just forgot) from the second volume of the Japanese 2014 Generations book that I got today...

The pre-Transformers Ultra Magnus (called Powered Convoy), had a transformable buggy that looks a little like Trypticon's purple car Full-Tilt.

The pre-Transformers Ultra Magnus also had a different groin-plate/cab-connector, which didn't allow the cab to stick out as far, so couldn't do a tight enough turn.

There was a 3-pack of the pre-Transformers Ultra Magnus with a red/white Mirage and a black/white Sideswipe (ehobby did a homage to this one in about 2003 called Clampdown). The red/white Mirage looks freaky.

Armada Overload was called Ultra Magnus in the Japanese Micron Legend version, so I wonder what TakaraTomy would have called the white/blue Hasbro redeco of Overload (called Ultra Magnus by Hasbro) if they had released it.

MP Ultra Magnus' cab detaches from the trailer.

They include a Choro-Q type toy of Ultra Magnus from 1986 that I've never seen before, or can find on google or tfwiki... so will need to translate the text to find out more about it.

They had 33 different (by mould, colour, name) Ultra Magnus toys from Hasbro and TakaraTomy listed, which makes the new Masterpiece one number 34 in 30 years of official Transformers-Branded toys. (Ultra Mammoth would make 35 if you go by name variations/puns)

I only just found out that Brad Garrett (Everyone loves Raymond) was the voice of Trypticon in G1... Mind blown