Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 22323738394041424344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: The Decision Thread

So I'm at the point of my collection where I'm having a internal debate if I need to have both Hasbro and Takara Tomy versions of a particular toy. Than that leads into my next problem if I should just collect only Hasbro or Takara Tomy. Right now I want to collect only Takara Tomy and purge my complete Hasbro collection but I don't want to look back at it with regret. Has anybody had this feeling before and can you give me advice on how you handled it?

I rarely collect more than one version of the same toy. When it comes to Hasbro vs. TakaraTOMY, I just pick/choose which one I want. I don't see the need to go totally Hasbro or totally TakaraTOMY. I recommend just choosing which version you prefer on a case by case basis and go with that. There are times when the Hasbro version is actually better than the Takara one (e.g. MP3 Starscream, RtS/United Perceptor etc.).

Smint is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I'm starting to take a keen interest in 3rd party TF's. So far i've only stuck to Masterpieces and some CW Combiners because im a "purist" and it's the G1 toys that i'm attached to. The other reason is im trying to keep the spending under control because for me they're ultimately plastic toys.

But after seeing Fanstoys Dinobots lined up behind MP Optimus something snapped. They just look too good, i had to get them all.

The other holygrail for me is to own a combiner. I was never lucky enough as a kid to have one. CW is great but they're kinda simple. Devy is on the way but i think i'll have to look to 3rd party's for the more exotic combiners.

Anyways i noticed BBTS has Quantron for approx 500aud delivered. Is it worth it? Should I spoil myself? As with almost all 3P combiners he certainly looks awesome.

$500AUD is a fair price for Quantron at the moment if that includes shipping. I paid a similar price when it first came up and the dollar was a lot better (roughly $470AUD shipped). I get the feeling that BBTS and other online stores may keep it at this price for some time as nobody in their right mind would pay $430USD for it now.

I think if you're looking for a third party Devy, you can't go past Green Giant. It's on par with Quantron, and the choice between the two is personal preference.

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kazza View Post
    So I'm at the point of my collection where I'm having a internal debate if I need to have both Hasbro and Takara Tomy versions of a particular toy. Than that leads into my next problem if I should just collect only Hasbro or Takara Tomy. Right now I want to collect only Takara Tomy and purge my complete Hasbro collection but I don't want to look back at it with regret. Has anybody had this feeling before and can you give me advice on how you handled it?
    I display my toys so I am nota boxed collector.

I always weigh up which version is best to your preference not base on what people say.

I like mp-11t over any version atm. Same goes for mp-10 hasbro as I prefer that than the takara. I don't collect both versions unless I really want it. I only made an exception to mp-10

Smint is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuspectimusPrime View Post
    $500AUD is a fair price for Quantron at the moment if that includes shipping. I paid a similar price when it first came up and the dollar was a lot better (roughly $470AUD shipped). I get the feeling that BBTS and other online stores may keep it at this price for some time as nobody in their right mind would pay $430USD for it now.

I think if you're looking for a third party Devy, you can't go past Green Giant. It's on par with Quantron, and the choice between the two is personal preference.
    I have TT Devy on the way. As with my CW combiners, i bought the PE upgrades and I'm planning on getting the DNA DK-01 upgrade for Devy. Its hard to say no to the upgrades because they can improve the look and articulation dramatically. Case in point PE menasor upgrade (But perhaps articulation is a downgrade in this example).

I'm always concerned with 3P QC issues hence my reluctance with 3P combiners. But as far as can i see Quantron seems fairly solid. Except the two tiny plastic pieces in the knee.

For me i see the appeal of collecting all variants like MP red bumblebee, g2 etc
    But whenever there's a TT variant of a Hasbro release i find in most cases the TT improves on the Hasbro. Hence no real reason to collect both especially if the newer version isn't based on some kind of series like G2, or toy deco version.

I'd rather put the money towards 3rd party products

Quote Originally Posted by Smint View Post
    I have TT Devy on the way. As with my CW combiners, i bought the PE upgrades and I'm planning on getting the DNA DK-01 upgrade for Devy. Its hard to say no to the upgrades because they can improve the look and articulation dramatically. Case in point PE menasor upgrade (But perhaps articulation is a downgrade in this example).
    Haven't bought any of the recent upgrades only as I've skipped out on CW as I dislike the idea of the primary toy looking very incomplete without the upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Smint View Post
    I'm always concerned with 3P QC issues hence my reluctance with 3P combiners. But as far as can i see Quantron seems fairly solid. Except the two tiny plastic pieces in the knee.
    Maketoys has been around for a while and has historically held great quality standards. I've bought quite a few 3P and this is how I would rank them:
    1. Fansproject
    2. Maketoys
    3. Mastermind Creations
    4. Perfect Effect

All 4 have very high standards of plastic quality - all better than the latest grades that Hasbro uses. The rankings for 2/3/4 are very close and a bit harder to differentiate - however I take into account proportions and designs which affect a toy's overall balance. For MMC, Feral Rex and Hexatron were very G1-like and slightly clunky (not a problem if that's what you like), as well as some very tough joints to move around; whilst for PE, I'm referring to the transformation for Warden, which was a bit finicky for me.

The only issue with Quantron I've read about is from fellow Ozformer, liegeprime, who had a factory construction issue (not related to quality/mould quality). I think he was given two left parts for a part of Sonic Drill's leg joint.

Edit: Here we go: http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showth...t=19423&page=2

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I rarely collect more than one version of the same toy. When it comes to Hasbro vs. TakaraTOMY, I just pick/choose which one I want. I don't see the need to go totally Hasbro or totally TakaraTOMY. I recommend just choosing which version you prefer on a case by case basis and go with that. There are times when the Hasbro version is actually better than the Takara one (e.g. MP3 Starscream, RtS/United Perceptor etc.).
    this^

I tend to buy whichever I think is the nicer version, or if I don't think the difference is significant, I go for the cheaper option. I've never had a budget big enough to get one from each company so it's never been a question I've had to consider directly.
    I would hesitate to get rid of one line over another just because of the point of origin.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Should I get giant from tfsource or is there a cheaper option, I handled him once last year and now I am certain he will be my next purchase

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've actually begun purging most of my Hasbro toys. There are some I'm keeping but most will be sold off. The biggest factor for this decision is room as I keep all boxes of my figures.