Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else have a specific goal for TF collecting?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Anyone else have a specific goal for TF collecting?

So over the years I've refined what my goal is for collecting Transformers from "MuSt HaVe ThEm AlL" to a more reasonable I want a representation of every G1 character (US, Euro, and JP) in my collection, which I'm doing with the CHUG lines.

I decided years ago against actual G1 toys because of the expense and the fact so many of them are not that great compared to a half decent modern figure.

Yeah a MP representation of every G1 character would be more cool, but I'll be an old man by the time they reach the Aquaspeeders.

So does anyone else have a specific goal they wish to achieve with their collection?

I like it, I needs it, gives it to me!!!!

to be honest, I don't think I've ever set goals for my collecting as a whole.

Every once in a while a good condition G1 toy will come up at a reasonable price when I have some spare dosh and I'll grab that and add it to my slowly expanding G1 collection.

When I decided to get animated, because I was going to the 2011 Botcon and would need some goodies to go against the baddies I was going to acquire there. I already had a couple of them, Jazz and one or two others. but I started picking them up, often reduced and by the time I came back from Botcon and picked up a few more I decided to get one of each character from the show, to the point where I eventually chased down the white soundwave activator repaint that was never released and the Ramjet coloured activator that was a limited exclusive in Japan. I would say that I am complete for animated now, I don't have every released toy but I have most.

I decided to go pretty hard on TF:Prime, not complete but definitely at least one representation of each show character and one of other moulds that may not have appeared on the show, sometimes two, like ironhide and kup.

I Love the masterpiece line and definitely have at least one of every mould released. I do expect to continue buying them until such time as Takara stops making them.

I have a lot of movie toys, and I like them, I am thinking about streamlining that collection a little to a single representation of each character but it's currently looking like a twin collection, of Masterpiece movie figures and 'general line' movie figures.
    The same could be said for Generations/classics toys, I have no plans of selling off generations toys as they receive a masterpiece treatment, as a result I find I'm building three collections of generation 1 characters, G1, Generations and Masterpiece.

I'm starting to come to a point where I'm running out of storage space for all the transformers that aren't on display. This is bringing me to pause a little and reconsider some purchases but not as many as I probably should be. I just preordered the DX9 Gabriel and I expect there'll be a generations Omega Supreme some time in the next 5 years.

One of the biggest drivers for me with these toys is getting to experience the transformation first hand. I may get to a point in the future where I buy lots, open them and then sell them once I've had the experience. I'm a ways off from that yet. What this leads to though, is me not being able to pass up at least one variant on a mould

I'd like to one day have a full set of G1, but that'll be a Dallas full, stuff that doesn't float my boat wont be considered necessary.

so I guess the short answer is 'Goals not really, collecting ideologies, sort of'
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Im there now

I want to have the mp bws to transform in hand plus the gen bws too then sell them all if ive bought them

My basic goal is to collect every CHUG representation possible. This of course leads to some expensive buys but definitely worth it. I would like to think it's currently up to date. I also don't waste my time buying a new version of a character if I find the previous release a better option (Gen Jazz vs Potp Jazz).

Like UM, I also decided to collect as many of the Animated series as possible. While I don't have the exclusive White Ramjet activator, my collection is complete.

MP's are appealing but would absolutely destroy my budget. So to this end I only collect obscure characters as opposed to the main stream (Delta Magnus over Ultra Magnus). I will get an MP if its a favorite character though like Optimus & Hot Rod.

My G1 collection is almost complete, I only require a few more to finish my version. I do exclude some like AM Wheeljack if I already have their original release versions as I don't want double ups of the same bot. The real painful part of this vein of collecting is looking for the all parts. Some are ridiculously expensive but thankfully I have plenty of patience so I can hold off until the price is right. I will make a note that I only collect the Hasbro line of G1's as the Takara line would, like the MP's, destroy my wallet.

That's basically my goals/lines in a nutshell.
    WANTED BOTS: G1: Horri-bull, Snarler, Mainframe, Chop Shop, Ransack CHUG: Spin Out, Cordon, Brotropolis Rescue MASTERPIECE: Acid Storm
    ENERGON: Six Shot

I tried to limit my addiction to legion-class only, and each figure must fit into a balanced grouping of alike-figures, with minimal mold clones and ignoring really crappy ones. It's been... frustrating. I've happily blended continuities but tried to get only one figure for each character, with the exception of characters that are vastly different (eg. I have a movie "Jetfire" and a G1 "Skyfire".) I've also tried to focus on adding female characters, usually by customising, and I'll ignore characters that don't appear in multiple mediums (eg. needs to be in a cartoon or movie or game and not just a toyline.)

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Season 1 G1 for MPs. My Cons are thaaaaaaat close. Autobot probably won't happen due to the minibots. Then we can start on Season 2.

I am working on a collection of CHUGs to mirror the MPs so the kids can have versions of their own which I won't cry over too much if broken. Coolness rates over scale or even tv series here.
    Also have Chugs for MPs that haven't been released like Skids or Jazz or interesting stuff like fembots. These sometimes get Reprolables.

Finally a collection of Legions to hang off Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    So does anyone else have a specific goal they wish to achieve with their collection?
    Mainly to finally get my shed built so I can properly display them - sick of them sitting in boxes year after year

I want a representation of every G1 character (US, Euro, and JP) in my collection, which I'm doing with the CHUG lines.
    The same - though I don't mind getting multiples of characters if they are fairly indicative of their G1 namesake

I decided years ago against actual G1 toys because of the expense and the fact so many of them are not that great compared to a half decent modern figure.
    I still try to get a few G1 figures each year but it has slowed dramatically since, much like above, the figures I don't have I either am not really keen on or go for prices I just cant justify

Quote Originally Posted by Jellico View Post
    Finally a collection of Legions to hang off Titans.
    OH, yea, this too. I have amassed quite a lot of legend and legion commander class toys over the years, it's like a desk set of the other toys I have. intent is for displaying and playing with Titans though.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Mine are all centred around Masterpiece or if not likely available, a CHUG or 3P version as a stand-in

1. Collect all G1 Takara MPs from MP-10 (ie in the current scale) onwards MISB. My man cave has plenty of space to display these.

2. Display Sunbow G1 Cartoon Takara MPs (thus collecting doubles of these with one kept MISB as per my first goal). Note I will generally not display Japanese G1, G2 or diaclone variants since I really have no nostalgic feelings towards these

3. Where a character (eg Combiners, Titans, Dinobots) is unlikely to be released as an official MP I have collected the Unite Warriors release (kept MISB for now) and more recently I've tried 3P for Dinobots and Omega Supreme. I have opened the 3P ones because they do fit in as Masterpieces and I'm less confident these will ever be released as official MPs.

4. Collect the Beast Wars MPs MISB to give to my son when he grows up.

5. Collect and display Movie Masterpiece figures (from MPM-3 onwards). Note I'm not sure if I want to go completist on this line but do want at least the main characters. I've also stopped MISB collecting the standard movie line figures since Age of Extinction. They will also eventually be passed onto my son since he loves the movie toys.

Very much looking forward to completing a full set of the original Autobot cars in Masterpiece format (84 and 85 and wouldn't complain about 86 too). We are so close to this being a possible goal.

For everything else, I just continue to build a collection that I'm totally happy with, which usually means trying new things but only keeping what I consider the best from each line.