Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Permanent Pricing Changes

price comparison for deluxes best to worst...

Big W 25.44
    Kmart 28.99
    Target 28.99 ??
    David Jones 29.99
    Myer 29.99 ??
    Toys R Us ??
    Mr Toys Toyworld ??

?? I'm not sure of price
    Big W seems to the best at the moment.

Transformers Crossovers

Big W $29.99
    Kmart $32.99
    Last edited by Defcon; 15th February 2009 at 12:01 PM.

In Hasbro's US Toy Fair Press Release:

TRANSFORMERS UNIVERSE 25th ANNIVERSARY FIGURES – DELUXE AND VOYAGER
    Approximate Retail price: DELUXE scale $12.99; VOYAGER scale $22.99; Ages 5 & up; Available: First waves in January 2009, with additional waves released throughout spring.
    That's of course USD, but I think the price hike is quite official now.

A 30% increase in US retail pricing for deluxes is a bit ominous. That'd be like having to pay close to $40 for a deluxe here if our prices went up by the same percentage.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    A 30% increase in US retail pricing for deluxes is a bit ominous. That'd be like having to pay close to $40 for a deluxe here if our prices went up by the same percentage.
    um.....Myer has Animated Deluxes at $40 each
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|

I find it strange that Hasbro can raise its prices in such an economic climate. To me it seems to say that Hasbro is very confident of the TF brand and its direction. Otherwise, its pretty suicidal at this time.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

I'm not overly confident in the transformers brand. However, the upcoming movie will put transformers in the spotlight again. With this alone they will move alot of stock. I personally think the universe line has been marred by some cybertronian repaints such as Blaster, Heavy Load, these just look so unappealing and are shelf warming, same goes for animated Leader class Ultra Magnus ,ah moving off topic...

I have noticed stock only really moves during sales, unless its a new wave. Otherwise it just sits there. Expensive ultras just sit on the shelf. Seriously these are expensive childrens toys.
    Even when something is on sale though retailers are still making profits, unless its drastically reduced on clearance.

At severe markup prices I wont be buying as much. It's easy to buy more when something is at a lower price ie 'impulse buy'.
    Expensive items you think about more and in the end you may just walk away.
    If the paint decos look like quality and interactive accessories are included, like targetmasters, minions, props, mini figures, cool weapons etc. I may be swayed to buy. Most people want value for the money they spend.
    Sorry long post.

Quote Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
    I'm not overly confident in the transformers brand. However, the upcoming movie will put transformers in the spotlight again. With this alone they will move alot of stock. I personally think the universe line has been marred by some cybertronian repaints such as Blaster, Heavy Load, these just look so unappealing and are shelf warming, same goes for animated Leader class Ultra Magnus ,ah moving off topic...

I have noticed stock only really moves during sales, unless its a new wave. Otherwise it just sits there. Expensive ultras just sit on the shelf. Seriously these are expensive childrens toys.
    Even when something is on sale though retailers are still making profits, unless its drastically reduced on clearance.

At severe markup prices I wont be buying as much. It's easy to buy more when something is at a lower price ie 'impulse buy'.
    Expensive items you think about more and in the end you may just walk away.
    If the paint decos look like quality and interactive accessories are included, like targetmasters, minions, props, mini figures, cool weapons etc. I may be swayed to buy. Most people want value for the money they spend.
    Sorry long post.
    Not long at all, buddy.

And I agree. Severe markup prices are definitely going to force many here to reconsider how much to buy. Not to mention the relative cost of Japanese releases will be cheaper now and more attractive so the incentive to buy local will fall.

And I again agree, new waves move quickly at first but then start to sit idly. Even elite Guard BB is staying on shelves now.
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs

the main problem for hasbro isnt us not wanting to buy, its the parents wanting to buy for their kids, cause in the end as theve stated on a number of occasions, its young boys that is their target demograhic, and if they keep raising their prices, then theyll have less of a chance of compeating with things like Ben10, which seems to be all the rage these days (having a teenage brother and cousins stops me from finding out about the kids fads these days), and overall thats what theyre trying to do. IMO they should look to lower profit margins to drag in more business. id rather sell 2 toys with margins at 10% each than one at 13% for example. they have to think smart in the economic downturn, where disposeable income for working parents will be a premium. they will scrutinize how they spend much more these days, and i think that the higher priced "shut up child" toys will take a hit (transformes included) and that they toys like hotwheels etc will become more popular because of theyre low price point. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    the main problem for hasbro isnt us not wanting to buy, its the parents wanting to buy for their kids, cause in the end as theve stated on a number of occasions, its young boys that is their target demograhic, and if they keep raising their prices, then theyll have less of a chance of compeating with things like Ben10, which seems to be all the rage these days (having a teenage brother and cousins stops me from finding out about the kids fads these days), and overall thats what theyre trying to do. IMO they should look to lower profit margins to drag in more business. id rather sell 2 toys with margins at 10% each than one at 13% for example. they have to think smart in the economic downturn, where disposeable income for working parents will be a premium. they will scrutinize how they spend much more these days, and i think that the higher priced "shut up child" toys will take a hit (transformes included) and that they toys like hotwheels etc will become more popular because of theyre low price point. JMO
    I agree completely. They shld be thinking about parents. But what I think they're trying to do is build TFs into not just a toyline but the premium toyline for kids. So instead of competing against Ben10, they want to be seen as the superior alternative to Ben10, something more upmarket. I think they think they can do it on the back of the 1st movie and now the 2nd but I think that's misguided. No matter how good a movie, it won't necessarily sell toys and maybe in a short space of time but not in the long-term. A Deluxe seems as big as a Ben10 action figure. If I were a parent, I'd go for Ben10. Well recognised as well but nowhere near as expensive. I hope that this doesn't hurt TFs in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    I agree completely. They shld be thinking about parents. But what I think they're trying to do is build TFs into not just a toyline but the premium toyline for kids. So instead of competing against Ben10, they want to be seen as the superior alternative to Ben10, something more upmarket. I think they think they can do it on the back of the 1st movie and now the 2nd but I think that's misguided. No matter how good a movie, it won't necessarily sell toys and maybe in a short space of time but not in the long-term. A Deluxe seems as big as a Ben10 action figure. If I were a parent, I'd go for Ben10. Well recognised as well but nowhere near as expensive. I hope that this doesn't hurt TFs in the long run.
    great minds think alike mate

this upmarket stuff is crap, if they keep it up, all they will sell to is us and the people in the upper middle class and above. i know now that if i had a kid, and wasnt into TF's like i am now i wouldnt get them from my kids because there isnt the exposure for them. The movie will make children want TF's but the problem is, is that the movie is rated for a more mateure audience, so haivng kids underr the age of 8 or so wathcing it isnt so much of the way to go, and thats who they should be aiming at. in a way the movie will create a fad, as it did last time (i got caught up in it to an extent, and then rediscoverd G1 properly, and here i am now :P ) and will make kids want the toys for a while, but then something else will come along, a new cartoon, a rehash of an old cartoon (TMNT maybe? :P ) and most of the children will forget about their wants for transformers and once again we will have shelf warmers. i said it before, but im tired so ill say it again, they need to make the toys more appealing for parents to buy, (IMO the movie toys are UGLY, the robot faces are too harsh and so are the angles, not so apealing to children IMO) as compared to what else is marketed at their target demographic... maybe im in the wrong field with engineering and should work in the marketing sector.... :P