Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: New PCC - Stunticons, Undertow and Salvage

errrr, what happens when people peel off the stickers??? It'll still have "Spastic" behind it and then people will still be insulted
    "sometimes the things you see might not be real and the things that are real you might not see"

Quote Originally Posted by FFN View Post
    You're still being influenced by Australia's british roots. Even in what you're saying here, you're putting an angrier, more damning weight on the word than it has in the US.

In the North America, spastic (or spaz) has a similar weight to nerd, dweeb, doof, or dummy (in other words, the word has very little, if any, derogatory weight), then for them, this mildly negative term being used as a product name wouldn't be a big deal. To them, a spaz is somebody who is hyperactive, random, excitable, ie, Movie Frenzy. You are being driven entirely by your Australian/British-derived understanding of the word.

You guys are frothing yourselves up into personal rage and offense on behalf of other people for an oversight.
    I don't think I was being hostile or agressive in my post, I was simply observing that every example or explination given so far has not had a positive connotation to it. No one has been able to give a positive useage of the term, in any form. Even you yourself admit that it is 'mildly negative'... so if there is no positive useage of the term, my question still stands - why use it? Especially if there are easier alternatives, like homages (why not call it Dragstrip?).
    Give an example where calling someone spastic or spaz in american vernacular, has a postive, friendly, supportive or even inspiring meaning.
    Mildly or not, it is still used as a derogatory, insulting, chastising word. There is no non-negative use for that word in America, it's just not considered to be 'as bad' as other countries.

I'm certainly not advocating making a fuss about it like English fans have, but I'm definitely questioning the reasoning behind using a descriptive word that is insulting in all countries (mildly in America, majorly in England).

Quote Originally Posted by christalcase
    errrr, what happens when people peel off the stickers??? It'll still have "Spastic" behind it and then people will still be insulted
    They'd probably tear the cardboard. But even if they peeled it really carefully, that's not Hasbro's fault - that's the customer's fault. Hasbro have taken reasonable measures to cover up the potentially offending name. The toy was initially designed/intended for an American market, but Hasbro would have taken reasonable measures to adjust the name for an Australian market. If someone were to go an undo this, then that's not Hasbro's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin
    Especially if there are easier alternatives, like homages (why not call it Dragstrip?)
    And that's the name that should appear on the stickers!

How cool would it be (for us) if this toy was called "Spastic" in North America, but then in other Anglophone countries it was called Drag Strip!

New images of Salvage and Undertow

http://www.seibertron.com/transforme...aterlog/20293/