Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Masterpiece Figures replacing CHUG lines in your collection?

Classics for me. Took a while to get to the end of my collection, but I love their: size - in my hand and on a bookshelf; scale; potential - so many characters left for third party producers to fill the void; and the amount of Decepticon toys actually balancing with Autobot toys (with MP, we're more likely to get Slicer, Dark Ultra Magnus, Dark Star Sabre, and Bugbite before seeing a new unique Decepticon mould ).

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!

I like both collections. To me the CHUG stuff is a modern interpretation of G1 and I like that a lot of the 3rd party stuff goes in nicely. To me MP is the best G1 version stuff you could make. I want to keep my MP purely genuine. Having a 3rd party Combaticon (like Warbotron) next to G1 style Bumblebee doesn't look right.
    For that reason I will keep both collections as one for G1 style stuff and the other for modern and 3rd party stuff. Saying that, my CHUG stuff is only the G1 styled ones. The bots that are just G1 names on random vehicles do not interest me.
    Spiderken Away!

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    The other thing is mps are releasing at the slowest pace so be prepared for certain amount of frustration if takara tomy has not decided to make certain characters.

The way it goes looks like if they can't do a repaint version is not an important character to do in their list unfortunately.
    I think that creating a masterpiece from conceptualisation to final product would be considerably more time consuming than what goes behind a regular main line figure. It's kinda like comparing the time it takes to order food at a shopping centre food court vs at a fine restaurant. Quality over quantity.

This is an interesting topic, clearly a range of views.

I have always viewed the 'CHUG' lines to be the modern interpretation of older toys and characters, and in some cases inclusions of characters into an expanded G1ish universe ie Lockdown and Lugnut.

I don't mind having multiples of a character, I used to feel that I was after a 'definitive' version of characters, but since animated and the movies and more recently Prime, I've quickly come to accept the 'different universe' different version idea. I really like the CHUG toys, many of them have great transformations and like others have said I fell I don't have to be as careful with them as I do with masterpieces. That picture Goki posted of Bluestreak in the sand makes my gag reflex hurt.

Not many of us have the luxury of having a whole room to store our collection in. My wife calls the spare room/study/drum room my transformers room but it's not really. I have a single cabinet in the corner, there's a drum kit, a huge desk, another computer desk and dvd shelves. I have more transformers on display in the lounge in the large Billy cabinet from IKEA.

Having said that I have a limited space for displaying my toys. I like to rotate themes through the cabinet, sometimes changes in a character over the years, sometimes a group from a line, movie, animated, prime etc. keeping toys off display isn't necessarily hoarding, especially if you don't have space to display them all. My enjoyment of them is sporadic as I go through phases of deciding what I want to display.

I don't even have all my Masterpiece transformers on display as if I did, there wouldn't be room for much else. I do consider the MP's to be the definitive version of a G1 toy. I can't wait to be able to put my G1 collection on display next to the MP collection for the 25-however many year comparison.

I'd suggest, if you're losing the love for your CHUG figures, put them away for a while and come back to them in a few months or a year, if you still don't have any love for them, then move them on. maybe replace the ones your thinking about moving on with Masterpieces in your display and see how you feel about it. the Masterpiece line is going great guns at the moment, but I'd question if they will ever produce as many characters as has been and surely will be produced in the more generic CHUG Generations lines.

Prices for many of them are quite high on the secondary market since a lot of people have gotten into them later and going back to pick up the older molds has become difficult. Which explains how Takara can get away with charging $100 for a 3 pack of old deluxes, it's cheaper than the after market.
    Selling them with open packaging and paperwork might add a few bucks to the sell price but I wouldn't bank on making too much out of the cardboard.

My 2c.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Personally, I have 'invested' soooo much money and time over the years on my CHUG collection. I finally am at the point where I have all the ones I want and it would take many decades and much, much more money for my MP collection to rival my CHUG collection.

Just wanted to clarify that I didn't simply mean that I think that any toy in storage should be discarded -- I meant that any toy that's not in use for a long time. If you have toys in storage and you rotate with the ones that are out of storage, then obviously you're eventually using your toys. The toys that I offloaded hadn't seen the light of day for years! I wasn't rotating them or anything! They were just in storage. And yeah, it was because I didn't have the space to display them, but I also didn't have the time to rotate them for display or play (I was planning on doing it, but it just never happened!). Since becoming a parent, what free time I do have now is solely dedicated to Transformers. For that reason, I offloaded my non-TF toys. Those toys were doing nothing else other than sitting in boxes in my garage; so I thought that I might as well give them away to other people who'd make better use of them!

I will still continue my CHUG collection as well as the MPs i just started. Just hope i will have enough funds to do that though with Combiner Wars also coming now to the picture and hope i could soon get most of my Generations migrate as well here in Australia...goodness i miss them so much (teary eyes)

Hmm an interesting topic indeed!

Here's a question OP: Do you enjoy reading the IDW comics? If the answer is yes, you may want to hang onto certain CHUGs as they will most likely end up being the most IDW accurate iterations of each character (if that's important to you). So far the MP line has been extremely faithful to G1, not the new IDW comics. Just throwing that out there!

There's a number of CHUG molds I can't stand (Prowl and Galvatron spring to mind), but I can't imagine replacing them with anything but a better version within the same line. For example, I recently demoted Voyager Jetfire from the display shelf after receiving Leader Class Jetfire.