View Poll Results: Are you frustrated by fluctuations in standards of accuracy in the MP line overall?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 18.92%
  • No

25 67.57%
  • Other (please specify)

5 13.51%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Standards of accuracy in Masterpiece

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I didn't say I was frustrated and that's not what I voted.

However, I am saying there isn't a standard

Whatever it is, is only a nice action figure, as long as they get above 85% accuracy either way. I don't bother . Like said, I have lowered my expectations a lot so I don't need to care about the little differences.

My frustrations were long back at the stage they rebooted the entire scale line and the paint apps are not full on.
    Last edited by drifand; 25th January 2015 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofigure View Post
    It's such a great line and the figures are so well done I'm not bothered at all about minor accuracy issues and wot not

To be getting G1 characters in this level of detail in this present day still makes me pinch myself

We are actually pretty lucky
    Could anyone have said it better

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfire in the sky View Post
    Could anyone have said it better
    I don't think so
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

TBH I never really thought about it. Now that I have thought about it I find that it doesnt bother me at all.

The MP line is my favourite line by far. I have enjoyed everything that has been released so far.

I think that you are never going to please everyone, and for the most part Takara has got it right with only minor issues overall.

I'm not bothered at all.

I appreciate the fact that TakaraTomy is making a point to acquire licences to make realistic cars for the Autobots. Sure, it means fudging 'screen-accuracy' in some cases, but not only does it help define the cars as 'Masterpieces', it also really reinforces the original point of 'robots in disguise'.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I don't think there was any part in time that TT had to deviate colours. It was straight up G1 or cartoon. I didn't understand mp-10 TT version with silver roller, nor why they decided not to colour the eyes like they did for mp-1. Is not a complain, I just didn't understand the change. I still pre-ordered it as the blue was closer to G1 toy, but other than that I actually liked the Hasbro version as a display piece more.

The thing is this, if there was a standard lets say Masterpiece G1 and Masterpiece Anime for example. They could easily milk you more and get more money. Pretty sure some of us bought one version of the masterpiece and than found the other nicer to your taste and sold off the previous one you bought.

It will be kind of bold to think Hasbro will release G1 magnus colours. I think that is an assumption.

I'm not really frustrated, just perhaps sometimes confused on why they choose certain features over others. Sometimes I can understand why some things have to be done, others maybe need to ask. I don't really think either option should be held as some kind of holy grail standard because I think they both compromise each other in certain aspects. I'm sure the perhaps sleeker or simpler cartoon models of the characters made it easier and faster to produce the cartoon than if they stuck rigidly to what the toys look like. At the same time certain aspects of the toy designs I would say require more imagination to get a well proportioned humanoid robot shape and enough articulation for modern standards.

Look at Optimus Prime; if you want him fully cartoon accurate you need to get rid of all traces of his wheels completely. I think it's clever how the front wheels are hidden but you still have a bulge on the legs with the rear wheels and can see them from behind. If you want him strictly toy accurate then you need to take chunks out of his forearms and give him a skinny waste. What does MP-10 give us? A pretty good looking compromise that has a well proportioned and pretty good looking robot which I think combines the best of both. The alt mode is a bit chunky in the back and maybe that's a compromise to get a better robot mode.

I don't really want a modern clone of what the toy or cartoon looked like 30 years ago, I guess in my mind the Masterpiece series is about trying to take the best of both and bringing it up to detailed more advanced modern standards. I would say I'm frustrated by a lack of rubber tyres though...

Not one iota.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

No reason to get frustrated I think. They are toys after all.

I personally would prefer to see them make the choices that make the TOY looks good.

I'd happily forgo cartoon accurate white thighs if the chromed thighs make it look a lot better. Likewise, I'd skip a red bumper if they had gone for a chomed one.

Optimus mightn't have ever had metallic blue eyes, but I don't care about that. The toy's eyes are blue and have got bling! That's a heap better than sky blue generic eyes.

I think a good example is Mattel's Voltron. The coluors are flat and the lion Legs are white. It's pretty cartoon accurate.

But the colours don't look half as nice as This version which takes cues from the original toys as well as the show. Hell, even the Masterpiece version looks nicer with the chrome bits. As long as the TOY looks good, I'm fine with that. I'd hate to have a series of Masterpieces that are large, bland, flat coloured toys based completely on the cartoon, because as Gok said, they wouldn't feel like masterpieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    As long as the TOY looks good, I'm fine with that. I'd hate to have a series of Masterpieces that are large, bland, flat coloured toys based completely on the cartoon, because as Gok said, they wouldn't feel like masterpieces.
    Amen to that

There's far too many toys out there that have been ruined because of dogmatic adherence to cartoon accuracy or otherwise.