View Poll Results: Who should be the new Prime?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Arcee

10 15.87%
  • Hound

10 15.87%
  • Megatron

4 6.35%
  • Optimus Primal

8 12.70%
  • Shockwave

6 9.52%
  • Star Saber

9 14.29%
  • Thunderwing

3 4.76%
  • Ultra Magnus

7 11.11%
  • Unknown Evil

6 9.52%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Fan Vote for new leader in the Power of the Primes series

Primal for me *thumbs up*
    WANTED BOTS: G1: Horri-bull, Snarler, Mainframe, Chop Shop, Ransack CHUG: Spin Out, Cordon, Brotropolis Rescue MASTERPIECE: Acid Storm
    ENERGON: Six Shot

#I'MJUSTPRIME

TRANSFORMERS: DEICIDE -- The Beast Wars 20th Anniversary Comic Book series that could have been...
    TRANSFORMERS: UNITY -- the BotCon 2016 Comic Book that should have been...

Star Sabre. He's the only G1 character who doesn't yet have a Classicsverse toy.

Quote Originally Posted by MayzaPrime View Post
    But isnt he already a Prime, he contained the matrix and was upgraded.
    Nope. Optimus Primal carries a Matrix (as seen in the Beast Wars theatrical movie*) but not the Matrix. Optimus Primal was later upgraded as Optimal Optimus because he carried the Spark of Optimus Prime☆ within him. If you listen carefully, Optimal's voice is actually deeper when he's carrying Prime's Spark, but this "grit" in his voice is lost when he's no longer carrying Prime's Spark. Megatron was similarly mutated (from Transmetal to Transmetal 2 form) when he carried the Spark of G1 Megatron, no Matrix involved. The idea was that the Sparks of Optimus Prime and G1 Megatron were so powerful that for a BW TF to carry it would be incredibly risky.

Beast Wars basically portrayed the G1 Transformers as gods. They were shown as being much larger than the BW TFs, which makes sense in terms of scale (a truck is significantly larger than a gorilla) as well as in terms of canon (re: Micromasters; and this is even explicitly stated in the show※), but it also makes the G1 Transformers appear to be godlike Titans compared to the BW TFs. And when we see Optimus Prime he is sitting in a throne-like seat. Even Megatron was shown as being slumped in an upright seated position, whereas other G1 TFs were shown just lying around on the floor.

------------------------------------------
    *Skip to 41:30 if you want to see the scene where Primal (as Burning Convoy) and Lio Convoy unleash the power of their Matrices.
    This was due to a misinterpretation of the Matrix on the part of the writers. They'd watched the scene in TFTM where Optimus Prime passed the Matrix onto Ultra Magnus, but mistakenly thought that it was a vessel containing his laser core. Hence this is what the Matrix is portrayed as being in Beast Wars, which is why it's empty and the vessel even shatters after Prime's Spark is transferred into Primal's body, then restored when the Spark is returned.
    In G1, it was stated that Micromasters were created as a means of allowing Cybertronians to conserve fuel. When BW Megatron first enters the Ark, as he surveys the fallen G1 TFs he mutters the words, "Archaic Energon guzzlers!"

Shockwave has no decent scale chug toy either, withholding the FOC deluxe and legends figure (more of an accessory).

Proper voyager, do him justice.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

I disagree that Legends Shockwave is merely an accessory. That toy may be small, but it is still pretty awesome. The fact that it can be used as an accessory by larger toys is incidental, but Shockwave is still a good and solid figure in its own right (and to scale with other Legends Class figures such as Reveal the Shield Megatron, Legends Optimus Prime etc.).

Compare this with figures like the Arms Microns or even the individually packaged Titan Masters (e.g. Apeface, Nightbeat etc.) - those toys are really just accessories. I like to use the "separate play value" test in terms of whether I regard a toy as a proper figure in its own right or just an accessory for other toys. In other words, would this toy be fun to play with on its own. Let's say if it's the only Transformer that you have on you, would it be fun to play with? I would find Shockwave to be a reasonably fun toy to play with. It has an articulated robot mode, transforms into a gun (which was always portrayed as a flying cannon in canon). My Titans Return Apeface has far more limited play value as a stand alone toy. If I owned no other Titan Master figures, then he'd just be a robot that transforms into a head. Apeface needs to accessorise a larger Titan Master "Transtector" body in order to be a fully functional toy, Shockwave doesn't. Same with TR Rewind, although he does work as an accessory for Blaster, he is still a fully functional Transformer figure in his own right as a Triple Changer (robot/data pad/tank). Also, bigger isn't necessarily better - there have been a few cases where larger versions of a character aren't much better than the smaller/cheaper ones (often the smaller ones are superior relative to size and price).

In any case, a CHUGUR Shockwave exists - they can revisit existing CHUGUR characters later after they've done the ones that have never been done yet IMHO. Star Sabre has never ever had a CHUGUR figure. Optimus Primal has already had a CHUGUR figure done in the form of LG02 Convoy (a repaint of the show-accurate BWR retool of the original figure).

Shockwave's done! Bring on the rest of the Deluxe Insecticons, Predacons, Scorponok, Targetmasters*, Terrorcons, Duocons, Slugest, Overkill, Headmaster Horrorcons, the rest of the Monsterbots, the Throttlebots★, Pretenders, Triggerbots/Cons, Sparkabots/Cons, gestalt cassettes, Seacons, Powermasters※, Quickswitch, Punch/Counterpunch, Micromasters et al.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *except Triggerhappy unless they want to revise him as a proper Targetmaster
    ★other than Goldfirebug
    ※other than Optimus Prime

I sent IDW's Chris Ryall an email suggesting that if Optimus Primal wins the upcoming Power of the Primes vote in January, it would be a clear sign of support within the fandom for Beast Wars characters. In this outcome, I asked about the likelihood of IDW considering Beast Wars comics in the future, and he was kind enough to reply with the following:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryall
    We always pay attention to fan votes. But we have to also pay attention to sales and so far, fans have proven to be vocal online but not at comic shops in regards to the Beast Wars comics we've already done.

We're not opposed to anything if actual fan support is there.
    So there we go, it's straight forward. Support it, buy it and you get more.

Vote 1: Optimus Primal!

TRANSFORMERS: DEICIDE -- The Beast Wars 20th Anniversary Comic Book series that could have been...
    TRANSFORMERS: UNITY -- the BotCon 2016 Comic Book that should have been...

FatalityPitt Guest

Shockwave? Isn't he dead?

I pick Star Sabre. Not my absolute first choice, but pretty close to it.

If I could choose any character outside this list, I'd pick Fortress Maximus, because:
    1) In the G1 cartoons (Japanese continuity), Rodimus passed the mantle of Autobot leader onto Fortress after Cybertron got blown up. *
    2) I just want Hasbro/Takara to release Fort Max toys more frequently at smaller scales (Legends, Voyager, etc) instead of giving us one obscenely expensive Fort Max toy every 30 or so years.

Since Star Sabre was leader after Fort Max (HM) and subsequently Ginrai/PM Optimus (MF), he'd be my personal choice.. Although he's evil in the IDW comics...

Despite my choice though, I still do hope Hasbro/Takara releases more Beast Wars toys (like an entire line dedicated to them!). It's long LONG overdue for them to give us new versions Terrorsaur, Tarantulas, Air Razor, Cheetor, etc.

------
    * https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUhkj9yocU8 (you can skip to 4:50, where Rodimus basically resigns as leader)
    Last edited by FatalityPitt; 15th December 2016 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Star Sabre. He's the only G1 character who doesn't yet have a Classicsverse toy.

Nope. Optimus Primal carries a Matrix (as seen in the Beast Wars theatrical movie*) but not the Matrix. Optimus Primal was later upgraded as Optimal Optimus because he carried the Spark of Optimus Prime☆ within him. If you listen carefully, Optimal's voice is actually deeper when he's carrying Prime's Spark, but this "grit" in his voice is lost when he's no longer carrying Prime's Spark. Megatron was similarly mutated (from Transmetal to Transmetal 2 form) when he carried the Spark of G1 Megatron, no Matrix involved. The idea was that the Sparks of Optimus Prime and G1 Megatron were so powerful that for a BW TF to carry it would be incredibly risky.

Beast Wars basically portrayed the G1 Transformers as gods. They were shown as being much larger than the BW TFs, which makes sense in terms of scale (a truck is significantly larger than a gorilla) as well as in terms of canon (re: Micromasters; and this is even explicitly stated in the show※), but it also makes the G1 Transformers appear to be godlike Titans compared to the BW TFs. And when we see Optimus Prime he is sitting in a throne-like seat. Even Megatron was shown as being slumped in an upright seated position, whereas other G1 TFs were shown just lying around on the floor.

------------------------------------------
    *Skip to 41:30 if you want to see the scene where Primal (as Burning Convoy) and Lio Convoy unleash the power of their Matrices.
    This was due to a misinterpretation of the Matrix on the part of the writers. They'd watched the scene in TFTM where Optimus Prime passed the Matrix onto Ultra Magnus, but mistakenly thought that it was a vessel containing his laser core. Hence this is what the Matrix is portrayed as being in Beast Wars, which is why it's empty and the vessel even shatters after Prime's Spark is transferred into Primal's body, then restored when the Spark is returned.
    In G1, it was stated that Micromasters were created as a means of allowing Cybertronians to conserve fuel. When BW Megatron first enters the Ark, as he surveys the fallen G1 TFs he mutters the words, "Archaic Energon guzzlers!"
    Rhinox - "His Spark contain the matrix, you can't contain that power'

Maybe i misunderstood that part

Imo what choice, Star Sabre.

Wait, wasn't IDW Star Saber the guy that tried to kill everyone a year or two ago and Tailgate was able to save the day because he was dying so Star Saber's weapon didn't work on him?