Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - POTP Punch/Counterpunch

Default Toy Review - POTP Punch/Counterpunch

Punch/Counterpunch
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Power of the Primes
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco - New mold
    Released here - not yet (Amazon exclusive)
    Approximate Retail Price - AU$37

CAR MODE:

This is one of the best car modes in over 10 years of the CHUG history IMHO, where the Hasbro designers have proven over and over their abilities to come up with sweet sweet mesh-ups of sports cars. What I particularly like here is they kept the same minimalist color scheme as the G1 toy while adding small details here and there to add to the realism, e.g.painted lights and front grill. Those painted red hub caps look real nice too. The overall design also reminds me a lot of the CW Deadend mold and its variations, which I also love. I can totally see this car driven by James Bond, befitting Punch's spy role; it's low-key yet powerful-looking.

I couldn't care less about the Prime Master dude or the prime armor, especially when Punch doesn't even combine; but they're there.

TRANSFORMATION:

The engineering doesn't feel like far superior than typical retail Deluxe Transformers. The utilization of the roof panel mass as bottom of the feet is quite clever. Other than that, there's nothing really to write home about. I wish there was enough budget to give the two 'bot modes different arms like the G1 toy did.

I did the shoulder ball joint fix and yes, it's definitely a mis-assembly at the factory. I didn't particular liked how you have to flex the plastic to do it though. The plastic is quite malleable and of high quality but do be careful when you do it.

ROBOT MODES:

Punch is excellent and unmistakably himself. All the visual ques are there with a modern feel. The head sculpt is up to Takara's usual high standards. The head uses the same tilting helmet mechanism to switch between Punch and Counterpunch; goes to show what a great design it was back then. What's nice is the chest panels in both Punch and Counterpunch configuration can fold down and cover the insignia not being used. This also reveals 5mm ports which is handy for weapon storage. Articulation is typical to a recent Deluxe figure. It's worth mentioning though there's a decent up and down range at the neck ball joint.

It becomes evident in Counterpunch mode that they actually went for the Japanese Headmaster cartoon deco, with the red eyes and silver mouth. I personally think the G1 toy with no silver paint on the moth looks better though. I can see again they went for HM cartoon accuracy with only one gun and not double barreled like the G1 toy had, I still wish they ditched the prime armor and gave us a different gun for Counterpunch. But all in all, a well done robot mode.

He looks a bit lanky with his small head and long legs standing next to the TR Headmaster/Targetmasters, but they do look great displayed together.

OVERALL:

It's the first true CHUG update to the my favorite G1 toy growing up, and aside from a couple of minor nitpicks, it's a wonderful little Deluxe figure.

Great review. I'm even more keen for mine...

...whats this shoulder fix of which you speak?

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Quote Originally Posted by dirge View Post
    Great review. I'm even more keen for mine...

...whats this shoulder fix of which you speak?
    Thanks.

Peaugh did a good demonstration in his review about the shoulder fix.

Galvatran Guest

An enjoyable read doublespy. Such crisp photos too.

I absolutely love mine, and can't stop transforming /switching allegiances. Really fun, but his orange pistol is quite puny. Where'd you grab that nice looking shotgun from for the photos? Existing toy, or shapeways printed?
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

FatalityPitt Guest

It looks so good. I really appreciate the photos! Standing Punch next to Chromedome and Hardhead brings back a lot of memories.

Thanks guys,

Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post
    Where'd you grab that nice looking shotgun from for the photos? Existing toy, or shapeways printed?
    Found it in my vault of TF weapons. I think it belongs to one of the first 3p Brawns. I just remember it was scout sized but sorry can't remember the name of the company now lol.

Thumbs up

Great review and photos doublespy. Seriously considering picking this guy up.

Quote Originally Posted by doublespy View Post
    Thanks guys,

Found it in my vault of TF weapons. I think it belongs to one of the first 3p Brawns. I just remember it was scout sized but sorry can't remember the name of the company now lol.
    Igear's Hench (you're right, a Brawn figure), I've got the same one. There's not enough identifiable shotguns for TFs - there was a sweet triple-barrel one for a few combiner wars figures but they're rare.

Punch/Counterpunch has the prime armour because he's a Power of the Primes deluxe, and the gimmick for Power of the Primes deluxes is to be able to 'wear' prime armour on the chest or to have it attach to the vehicle mode. As you observed, both modes have chest/back panels that swing open to reveal 5mm ports; those are actually meant for prime armour to be attached to the chest.