Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Recommended shelving?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    At least it would be a one-off purchase. And you just know you won't ever regret purchasing it.
    True. I actually did look long and hard at these when I was getting mine set up. I would say if you have no budgetary constraints then get something like this. The wider cabinets give lots of flexibility for display. Still, the Detolfs are an excellent alternative if on a budget because having them in a row still looks great and you can easily add more down the track.

Hmmm, He linked me recently on Twitter as well.

I think it's this mob, perhaps since then they've set up their own website.

they are expensive, I don't have any myself, I wish I had a room to put them in. I think the best part, is the ability to set the shelf height, allowing for taller or shorter shelves, depending on who is in the display.

the width, height and frameless options are also super nice.

I also get exactly what your saying with regard to cost, they are expensive but in my mind there is a fair bit of display space lost between detolfs and if you're setting up an actual room as a display space it's a gclassy long term solution. Even if you have to spread the purchasing of them over a couple years.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

I'll add that the detolfs I own aren't actually the ikea detolfs, rather the version that aldi have sold the past couple of years (I believe they have more coming this Saturday week).
    They're very similar, only instead of set bars to sit the shelves on, they have suction pads that screw into the vertical poles which you then sit the shelves on, and naturally they can be adjusted. So you get 3 sets of shelves per cabinet, but you have like 7 different mounting heights. On top of that I can shift one shelf to another cabinet if I have taller figs like fort max taking extra real estate.
    They're also lockable, but at a glance they're the same as the detolfs

They've sold them in the previous 2 years but unfortunately they shifted some of the mounting points in last years version so they were less ideal than the older version.
    www.mariokart64.com
    --------------------------------------------------------
    "Sometimes, the wrong thing feels so right"

I have one of what must be the older version based on your description, the shelf height is governed by little brackets that are screwed into a slot that runs the entire vertical height of the cabinet. they are pretty good, I'd prefer they had a lower profile frame but for $100? they are hard to beat.

Those shop display glass cabinets look great,but I'd rather 10 detolfs and delivery fee rather than 1 of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    I have one of what must be the older version based on your description, the shelf height is governed by little brackets that are screwed into a slot that runs the entire vertical height of the cabinet. they are pretty good, I'd prefer they had a lower profile frame but for $100? they are hard to beat.
    Here's a pic of the corner showing the shelf setup option, there are screw holes at those intervals all the down the poles. 7 options in total.
    Starting from the top, Ive skipped the 3rd position and the bottom 2. The shelf to its right is only setup with 2 shelves, hence why I have 4 in this one, very handy.

www.mariokart64.com
    "Sometimes, the wrong thing feels so right"

Definitely different, and a lower profile frame.

I have 2 deltof's and 2 deltof impersonators. Being able to add an extra shelf to a deltof is a great bonus but it doesnt display G1 giftsets and boxes well at all.

Ideally I would love to get a showcase but yeah as Borgeman said mortgage and family comes first then any spare $ goes on my hobbies

Just to confirm, Aldi will be getting in the glass display cabinets Saturday 26th August in NSW according to their catalog (link). Price will be $89.99.

I'm reading through what everyone has written about each type of shelving and considering the glass cabinets, but at the same time money is tight so I might need more bang for my buck. Is there any huge reason to invest in glass cabinets over say for example Billy bookcases (with which one gets nearly double the space as a detolf for the same price)?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHyren View Post
    Just to confirm, Aldi will be getting in the glass display cabinets Saturday 26th August in NSW according to their catalog (link). Price will be $89.99.

I'm reading through what everyone has written about each type of shelving and considering the glass cabinets, but at the same time money is tight so I might need more bang for my buck. Is there any huge reason to invest in glass cabinets over say for example Billy bookcases (with which one gets nearly double the space as a detolf for the same price)?
    I've got some of my collection on display in Billy bookcases and they do the job. The glass cabinets looking classy and the doors should help keep dust away while still being able to see everything.

I'm considering the wide cabinets from Fantastic Furntiure after seeing STL's set up.