Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Necklaces/Earrings

I'd be keen for an Autobot faction logo for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Lint View Post
    I've ordered some similar stuff before off the internet, where you can get custom printed jewelry/tags but I've found that they don't last too long (fading, tarnish etc over a few years). I'd be interested to know the longevity of the stuff you made
    Good point. I was assuming the bulk stuff would be pretty good. But if I've given my ones enough sealed layers, they should last quite a while... hmm- which I had a time machine to test my theory! XDD

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    They look very nice. I would personally prefer them if there was less of a white border. very cool artwork, and a very interesting manufacturing method.
    I'll give that a try. The issue is cutting this paper is REALLY difficult (if if your corners are too sharp, they can crack in the oven). But I will still give it a shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Kapryiath View Post
    I'd be keen for an Autobot faction logo for sure!
    I'll make some then! See how they turn out~ ; )

Quote Originally Posted by Vron89 View Post
    I'll give that a try. The issue is cutting this paper is REALLY difficult (if if your corners are too sharp, they can crack in the oven). But I will still give it a shot!
    the cracking would be related to material stress in the shrinking process.
    If you had a punch style super sharp cutting tool you could radius the internal corners and then cut up to that radius. the radius would relieve a lot of the material stresses, reducing cracking.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

I would also be interested in some of your starscream stuff as my better half would like it.

the torture of others sparks is music to my sensors!!!

Those are pretty awesome.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

I would totally grab something like these. Very cool!
    Twit and insta @lukeabarnett

Oh wow, thank you guys- I'm kind of overwhelmed
    I'll keep working on them, and update them later to show you how they work out (they're still not perfect yet- edges need rounding off, etc). If I make enough, I might put something up here- or in the sale section. But they'll be small lots.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    the cracking would be related to material stress in the shrinking process.
    If you had a punch style super sharp cutting tool you could radius the internal corners and then cut up to that radius. the radius would relieve a lot of the material stresses, reducing cracking.
    Ultra, I think I get what you mean. I wish I could visualise it. Do you have an example of the cutting tool you're thinking of?
    They're very small though- I'm pretty sure scissors are my best bet. But I've realised I'm very impatient when cutting them. But found the smoother the corner (internal/external) is, the less likely it is the crack. I think that's probably what you've been trying to say XDD

Here is a diagram showing the rough concept. the black line represents the pattern you are cutting around with the black text on the inside of the design..

the green is the first cut made with a punch or curved chisel (spindle roughing gouge) not what it's designed for but I imagine you can find similar tools that would perform a similar job. leatherwork and woodwork tools are very sharp and can be found in many different profiles.

you then cut up to that initial cut with scissors or a sharp blade, however you normally cut. the advantage is the corner is already done so you can cut straight lines right up to your pre-existing corner cut. The caveat is I have no idea how the material you're using will respond to being punched through in this manner. It should be OK on a solid cutting mat, I'm gueesing

and I don't think you need to round the 'external' corners unless it's to make them not sharp for safety reasons.