Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wtb figuarts kylo ren and first order stormtrooper

I've been looking at them again as well as the hasbro black series. The figuarts ones definitely seem to have more articulation. Are they really 2.5 times better than the hasbro ones? That's how much you seem to need to pay. The Hasbro ones are limited in the elbows, which of course it seems to be the main joint required for some of the gun holding poses and photos i had pictured in my mind lol.

This is the other brand I mentioned earlier but they aren't coming out until August it seems:
    http://www.premiumcollectables.com.a...-storm-trooper
    They are cheaper than the figuarts ones and also include more guns and accessories which is awesome. I don't like the look of that wrist popping out though in the bottom left hand corner, especially since that's the kind of stuff I wanted to do with whatever I got...

XMan is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I reckon if you're willing to pay the $60 for Mafex than go with Figuarts. There is a 1st Order ST from Japan that is $84 free postage.

For me, Mafex seem to still be go through some teething issues, where as SHF has already nailed it imo.

It's... a tough choice that comes down to a lot of personal preference factors. And the added problem of the Mafex figures being a long way off. I don't have any Black Series so I can't speak to those too much. Kind of swore off Star Wars entirely except for Clone Wars until I saw the Figuarts and Movie Realization Vaders and was sucked back in.

I have the all the Figuarts and Mafex so far, only comparisons I can make for you are Vader and OT Stormtroopers.

So ignoring Black series as a choice:

If you want them to scale with Black Series, Mafex is probably your best bet as Figuarts probably won't (they're smaller), unless you're troop building and happy for different heights. Figuarts hasn't even maintained a consistent scale within their own line. Vader is too small for Luke etc.

If you want bang for buck accessories-wise, you're going to want Mafex too as you already noted. They come with more. You would have to buy three separate Figuarts First Order Troopers to get the same accessories as the Mafex, and two of those are Tamashii shop exclusives which will be more expensive and harder to get.

Sculpt wise, most people seem to prefer Mafex as they find the helmet sculpts to be more true. I don't mind either way, most OT Troopers seemed to have different looking helmets anyway. And the unmasked Vader head isn't a patch on Figuarts version, sculpt or paint-wise.

If you're looking at any of the figures with capes: Figuarts does soft plastic, Mafex does cloth. Could hinder your posing options.

Mafex Vader and Trooper have soft plastic shoulder pads attached to the torso that can make them sit very oddly. Figuarts has hard shoulderpads attached to the upper arm that are great for posing.

Mafex has softer plastic armor on the upper torso of the Stormtroopers, and it hangs somewhat like it looks in the movies - a costume, whereas the Figuarts are part of the sculpt and look like 'perfect' sleek armor.

Overall Figuarts is a better figure. Paint, sculpt, plastic etc. But Mafex is not too shabby, and they may win sculptwise on any non helmeted/robot characters. They do seem to have somewhat looser joints than Figuarts though. Some of their figures come apart easily, and I believe some of their earlier non-star wars figures were pretty bad for breakage.

If I had to choose, I'd be keeping Mafex Vader and Figuarts OT Stormtrooper.

The Figuarts Kylo and First Order Trooper are great figures in their own right. Will be interesting to see how the Mafex versions compare. Mafex has the unmasked Kylo head too, which is a nice addition that Figuarts didn't provide, but if the paintworks not up to snuff it won't matter much.

I believe figuarts have way better face sculpts than the mafex, but the Bandai Web exclusive bs brings the line down a lot. The best 6" inch Vader is definitely the Bandai model kit, way better than both mafex and figuarts and a fraction of the price, maybe not now as they are not allowed to sell over seas.

MAFEX Kylo also comes with the unmasked head. I'll almost 100% certainly grab him.

The Figuarts version is raved about but it looks kinda me to me. I'm good with the BS version but the unmasked head with the MAFEX is too good to refuse.

As for Stormtroopers, I can't comment. I only have BS versions and I army build, so it's all about budget there. :P

I did just receive my first Figuarts - Jedi Luke. AMAZING figure. Cannot recommend highly enough, it's just beautiful.

I have Obi Wan on the way, too.

Yeah, Figuarts Kylo can seem a bit off. I generally prefer the soft plastic cloak/capes but they can be pretty restrictive. Kylo's hood only looks right from certain angles, but you can remove it at least. And his cloak obviously doesn't drape so natural looking stances are limited a bit.

Luke and Obi Wan are both excellent, really hope old Obi Wan is coming soon.

Those Bandai model kits are definitely a great option, they're just not for me.