Page 383 of 467 FirstFirst ... 363373378379380381382383384385386387388393403 ... LastLast
Results 3,821 to 3,830 of 4670

Thread: The Computer/Console Gaming Thread

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    They should really remove the 'Marketing filter' when naming consoles. Development code names are much cooler.
    -Xbox Codenames-

Xbox was actually the codename of the OG Xbox so that time the code name did carry over.

The 360 had several codenames. Xenon was the original launch hardware. Xepher was a refresh of the hardware with an HDMI port and a fix for the RROD. Then they called the next version Falcon, which was a further fix for the RROD. The Xbox 360 S was codenamed Valhalla. I'm mixed on Xepher and hate Falcon but Xenon and Valhalla are cooler than Xbox 360

I hate Natal which was the Kinect's code name, but Kinect isn't great either.

The original Xbox One was called Durango which sounds like a car not a game console, Xbox One is better but it's still a confusing name. I wish I knew what the Xbox One S's codename was.

Project Scorpio is awesome, but I think they should have just called it the Xbox in the final version.

-Nintendo codenames-

The NES and SNES are very Japanese businessie names. Family Computer and Super Family Computer.

Nintendo 64 started as Project Reality, but I kinda prefer the Ultra 64 codename/preliminary retail name over Nintendo 64 and Project Reality.

Gamecube was Dolphin, I prefer Gamecube

Remember when the tough, angry looking Reggie was talking about Project Revolution? Well that turned into the Wii and I still hate motion controllers in all it's forms. Revolution sounded amazingly cool.

Project Cafe for the Wii U, yeah not a great codename either.

NX, that was cool, Switch works fine but NX was cool.

-Sony codenames-

I'm not great on these codenames.

OG PlayStation was codenamed PSX and PSX later became a super high end version of the both the OG PlayStation and PS2.

PS4 was Orbis and I kinda like that over PS4, I'm not really a fan of incremental numbers for console names any more than I'm a fan of it for PC parts.

So are there any bad games you guys buy knowing they are not great yet get enjoyment out of them?

Every year I buy the WWE 2K games. I know they're bad games and they're certainly no WWF No Mercy, yet every year I buy the digital deluxe edition of the new WWE 2K game and enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    So are there any bad games you guys buy knowing they are not great yet get enjoyment out of them?

Every year I buy the WWE 2K games. I know they're bad games and they're certainly no WWF No Mercy, yet every year I buy the digital deluxe edition of the new WWE 2K game and enjoy it.
    Hah, it's like D grade movies, you know they're going to be crap going in but you don't care.

Back in the days of free game discs with pc hardware I scored a couple like that (and some real gems - the original Deus Ex came with my Soundblaater Live!) one of them served me really well to show a faulty GPU. Nothing special but I did end up playing through to the end, Will Rock I think it was called.

Another game I bought from the damaged pile while working at Kmart, not expecting much with a title like "Gun" but ended up playing through it a couple of times, didn't mind it at all.

I guess EDF falls into that category, it's a budget title though and is well received by fans. One of my favorite bad games is A Dog's Life on PS2

Yes, but the list of mostly co-op things. Sniper Elite Nazi Zombie Army and Aliens: Colonial Marines spring to mind.

Both cripplingly shit, both with four player co-op campaigns.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

I guess shit games are more fun with more people?

Speaking of which, anyone checked out Screencheat?

I've never deliberately bought shit games, only inadvertently

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    I've never deliberately bought shit games, only inadvertently
    Before the internet and local game publications, that was a real danger. Nowadays there are many ways to check if a game sucks or not. Also the corporate way things are run these days (and also back then to a lesser degree) makes it easy to make educated guesses too. Like if a game is based on 'Brats' or the latest blockbuster movie (or failed attempt), you know it will suck.

I miss the old days of demo discs with magazines, or even other games

Quote Originally Posted by prjkt View Post
    I miss the old days of demo discs with magazines, or even other games
    Even the original days of Xbox Live on the 360 when you could download a demo.

I think Sony actually killed the demo. I remember a bunch of developers complaining about the fact on Xbox 360 Microsoft would bare the cost of bandwidth while Sony would charge developers a fee for each person that downloaded a free piece of content on PSN. Sony was really out of touch in the early PS3 days.