Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone seen this!!! (whitening yellowed plastics)

Default Has anyone seen this!!! (whitening yellowed plastics)

Or better yet tried it!!

Looks good.

http://www.thetf.net/forum_posts-TID-13204-PN-1.htm

Ps. i apologise if this has been reported before.

I think it would be an interesting idea for the forum to have a thread where everyone can upload pics of their junk bits.

Quote Originally Posted by sideswipes brother View Post
    Or better yet tried it!!

Looks good.

http://www.thetf.net/forum_posts-TID-13204-PN-1.htm

Ps. i apologise if this has been reported before.
    Sounds awesome! Who wants to test it?

what's a H2O2?

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Hydrogen peroxide. You can buy it in the supermarket if you want to go for that sexy blonde look Iceman. Also it's really fun to put on dead skin from a cut.

ahhhhhhhh i always colour my hair. :P

I'd be worried about what it does long-term to the integrity of the plastic itself. Bleach is pretty harsh stuff, it could well be breaking down the bonds in the plastic, making it brittle or crumble away over time. If it doesn't affect the integrity of the plastic's molecular structure, it'd be a great fix. But if it does weaken the plastic, this 'short term fix' will be the scourge of the second hand market. You'll get dealers cleaning up their toys, get 'Mint' prices, and the toys crumble and break within a year of it being sold.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I'd be worried about what it does long-term to the integrity of the plastic itself. Bleach is pretty harsh stuff, it could well be breaking down the bonds in the plastic, making it brittle or crumble away over time. If it doesn't affect the integrity of the plastic's molecular structure, it'd be a great fix. But if it does weaken the plastic, this 'short term fix' will be the scourge of the second hand market. You'll get dealers cleaning up their toys, get 'Mint' prices, and the toys crumble and break within a year of it being sold.
    I agree it would need to have the plastic 'thinned' out since a layer of it would have to be removed. Its not just muck that makes it yellow, its the plastic itself that becomes that color so this technique must break down the surface of it.

Nevertheless it is an awesome alternative (assuming it works) to having a yellowed toy but the bad thing is that once whitened, it will be prone to yellowing regardless and I don't think it will be too healthy to have the same procedure done twice to the same parts.

I have a couple of junky toys I could try it on, like Dogfight and a junker Galvatron.

So what should I look for at the Super Market? I know that if I ask the checkout chick, she will have no idea.

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Look for hydrogen peroxide in the health and beauty section. Best bet (and cheapest) is actually to go to the chemists. Chemists are also a lot more helpful than supermarket staff in general.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDigger View Post
    Look for hydrogen peroxide in the health and beauty section. Best bet (and cheapest) is actually to go to the chemists. Chemists are also a lot more helpful than supermarket staff in general.
    Would it be called Hydrogen Peroxide in the Beauty and Health Section or would it go by some brand name? Also what's it used for? I know women do crazy things to their skin and hair but acid?