Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Metroplex Custom (pic heavy!)

Default Metroplex Custom WIP (pic heavy!)

As discussed in the EOI/sales thread, I'm attempting a Metroplex custom which I will try and sell once finished. 1st dibs has already been called, but if anyone is interested, but I'll be happy to entertain a second or third in line for interested parties.

Step 1: Disassembly.

I only finished taking apart the top half of the figure this afternoon. It's a complex bit of engineering, that's for sure. A few dozen screws and at least as many parts, as well as the internal electronics. I've attached some photos below (the first of many, no doubt) with all the disassembled pieces, but if you head over to my Flikr account (M-bot2011), there are a whole lot more. I'm keeping a fairly extensive photographic record of the disassembly part, so that I have a fair chance of being able to reassemble him at the end!

I took the figure apart to a large degree for 2 reasons: firstly to make painting the pieces manageable (it's such a massive figure!), but also to be able to carefully clean/prep each piece before painting, trimming flash left over from the moulding process and cleaning off the oils and grease from the manufacturing process. Some of the internal moving pieces has a fair bit of lubricant on them, and I've carefully bagged these pieces to maintain the lube so that he moves as well after the custom as he does now. The outer pieces, however, will be entirely washed down before painting.

DSC_0055 by M-bot2011

DSC_0063 by M-bot2011

DSC_0067 by M-bot2011

DSC_0075 by M-bot2011

DSC_0082 by M-bot2011

DSC_0092 by M-bot2011

I sliced open my thumb during the unboxing, so I've already given the first part of the blood, sweat and tears that this custom is going to take!

Comments/thoughts/opinions/constructive criticism/questions welcome.
    Last edited by M-bot; 11th October 2013 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Added 'WIP' for better description

Wow, I'm impressed by how he comes apart. This toy is gonna be a dream for customers.

Look forward to your updates!

Quote Originally Posted by M-bot View Post
    Did you kill Metroplex? This reminds me of the autopsy scene in MTMTE #9

I sure hope you remember how to put him back together
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

i was just going to say that too, have prowl and chromedome overlook the remains

And that only his top half hey..?.. i was doing only his arm and i gave up ... wished i had more time to get back into him... Well keep it up ...

I look forward to seeing your progress

Uh..... no legs?

Quote Originally Posted by pw_sd View Post
    Uh..... no legs?
    Got to 'em tonight. Here they are!

DSC_0093 by M-bot2011

DSC_0096 by M-bot2011

My first breakage!!!! I pulled the red piece the wrong way and >snap<. I'll glue it back together, if that doesn't work, I'll drill through the middle and put a pin in it.

DSC_0108 by M-bot2011

DSC_0114 by M-bot2011

All the hips and legs pieces laid out:

DSC_0115 by M-bot2011

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Did you kill Metroplex? This reminds me of the autopsy scene in MTMTE #9...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitcurlboy View Post
    i was just going to say that too, have prowl and chromedome overlook the remains
    Just for Paulbot and Spitcurlboy...

DSC_0116 by M-bot2011